Drac

A New Hobby

Very nice. Don't see why you call it amateur, it has a nice shape and a good finish. Rather like the burn marks.

As for sealant, wax is as good as anything else. You can use oil as well. Both will have the be renewed from time to time. Even the CA sealed ones will wear eventually. Hell, even the stabilized woods can't be ignored. They are lower in maintenance but not maintenance free.

Jim

So melted carnauba is ok for hot water conditions?

And I have to admit you are a great inspiration to me to try crafting stuff, always enjoy working with my hands, just feel it's never good enough to show off.

Even bee's wax should be ok. People have been using it a lot longer then plastic. Oil would probably be the best long term. Easier to apply and your hands will add more each time you touch it.

Just requires a bit more maintenance plus you won't get the glossy finish but I feel that a high gloss finish is a bit of a distraction. I personally like a satin finish to shiny. You can use a satin finish without worrying about it looking bad quickly, sort of like a hand rubbed finish on a knife.

The finishes I'm playing with right now are a friction finish with a sealer but I am thinking about moving away from those if I do more of the brushes. Probably move over to a boiled linseed or danish oil. Maybe even a salad bowl oil. All should look nice even with heavy use.

And we are all about using, right?

Jim

Indeed, it's all about using what one makes, if it's for decoration it's not worth buying or making, besides there is beauty in functionality.

Hello all,

I had sent some wood to my stabilizer to be processed and since he was ex-Navy I told him to keep a piece. He sent it all back forgetting to keep one. Called him up and he told me to go ahead and turn him a pen. I return for the material costs he'll send me some pen turning blanks.

Well, as always Mike never disappoints. When I got it Friday I had to fight really hard not to just use it all right up. Got to save some for special occasions :D But I did give in a little to turn one piece yesterday, a piece of buckeye burl. Since it's stabilized it finished like glass -

Pen01_zpsf0164a12.jpg

Now I have to fight even harder to not turn the rest :nono:

Jim

Hot off the lathe -

Watch01postcopy_zpsd3d03067.jpg

It's done with mesquite.

Jim

Ok, I've been wanting a pocket watch for going on 20 years, how much for a similar one?