Drac

Getting Some Interesting Wood In

Hello all,

After turning the pen using a piece of a Jim Beam barrel stave (which smelled rather interesting while turning) I thought about if I could get some other larger pieces. In this country they can't reuse barrels in production. Granted there is a huge secondary market overseas for them but they always have ones that leak, get banged up, ect.

Contacted Jack Daniel's directly and looks like I maybe able to get a couple staves directly, at a much better price then the wood stores. So I thought about the common drink of choice around here. I managed to get a hold of a cooper that repairs and sells used barrels. He is checking for smaller scrap for me from the distilleries.

How would some sgains made from those barrels sound?

Jim

That would be Interesting to have a sgain that smells like Jack Daniels.

Not sure how much of the smell would stay. Even if I didn't get it processed I would have to seal the wood. The pen smelled very strongly of it while turning but once I sealed it with the wax I can't smell it.

That would be a bummer.

Jim

Interesting for sure.

Oh Lord, OK OK somewhere I have to get some extra cash then Jim. You always have an iron in the fire don't ya?

I think that sounds like a great idea.

That sounds like a blade I would love to carry.

I'll take one from a Laphroaig cask!

oh..and can one be fashioned from a Guinness tap handle?

Seems with a tap handle as the handle, that would have to be at least a dirk, but an interesting conversation starter for sure.

Come to think of it, there are many interesting tap handles, that if they could be converted could become quite a thing.

Very cool concept! It might be a nice addition to the Ebony sgian I got from you, thru a buddy! How many can you make? (It looks like you might have created a "monster!")

:KILT:

oh..and can one be fashioned from a Guinness tap handle?

Not sure. Most tap handles I've seen are plastic these days. If there was a wood one it is possible but AFS1970 said it would probably make a better dirk.

Very cool concept! It might be a nice addition to the Ebony sgian I got from you, thru a buddy! How many can you make? (It looks like you might have created a "monster!")

:KILT:

Right now a I am still working at getting the Scotch barrel staves. I did get the Jim Beam ones in so I could do a few. Righ now it has to be done when it's cool in the shop.

Jim