Sign in to follow this  
branmakmorn

Bannnockburn

The final scene of the movie Braveheart has Robert the Bruce urging his small army to "bleed with him"as they had with William Wallace. Wallace had been beheaded and drawn and quartered by Edward I almost 5 years before. In that time Robert theBruce had fought a long, guerrilla war of hit and run against the English invaders . Two of Bruce's younger brothers had been killed much in the same way as Wallace and his wife and daughter were hung in cages from castle walls for years. Finally King Robert had the English army where he wanted them. Led by Longshanks son Edward II the smaller Scottish army met with the English forces in a place where the terrain took away the numbers advantage and allowed Bruce to use his Highlanders to the best advantage and his chivalry to split the English forces. King Robert himself drew first blood killing Sir Henry Bohun by splitting his head with a battle axe in single combat.trapped between woods and marsh the English forces were unable to form their normal offensive squares and were slaughtered by the Scot's forces. King Edward fled the battlefield and barely escaped capture by the victorious Scots. Though the battle of Bannockburn did not end the War for Scottish Independence, it did effectively end the ability of the English to mount any further large scale attacks on Scotland. Eventually King Robert and his council drew up the Declaration of Arbroath which is one of the documents used as a basis for the American Declaration of Independence. Scotland Forever

• Like 3

I have been to Bannockburn though it was over ten years ago. The place was being built up, but you could imagine where the battle had raged.

Bannockburn is on my list of places to see, no way I'm getting there this year but it would be amazing to go for the anniversary.

" In the year of our Lord 1314 , patriots of Scotland, starving and out numbered, the charged the field at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsman, and won their freedom."

• Like 1

Would love to go to the celebrations but unless I win the lotto it's not happening. So if anyone is going post some video so we can what it's like.

Would love to go to the celebrations but unless I win the lotto it's not happening. So if anyone is going post some video so we can what it's like.

Go to the Scotland Rising Facebook page. They have a video of the celebration on Tuesday.