GrainReaper

My Very First Walking Stick (Old)

Many moons ago I made a walking stick from a shrub I found growing along the shore of the lake at our northwoods cabin.

It isn't very refined or well finished, but I made it in 1988 when I was 15 years old. Aside from a shallow split from it drying too fast when I first made it it's in great shape! I'm replacing the cheap screw on rubber chair leg pad with a brass end and a better urethane rubber bumper, filling in that split with CA and refreshing the finish a bit.

Hard to believe I still have it after 26 years, three moves across country.... and it still feels solid as ever with a nice fit in my hand.

I call it the mallard due to its odd shape.

495E35B4-8743-4B61-9662-232D2B17194E.jpg

FC6CE7C4-823F-454E-9128-224D1ACF5B78.jpg

EABF598B-0B30-468B-B037-71A6CE1BF957.jpg

71B3A36E-ACA8-40BB-AC18-88089F1922B7.jpg

E8934B46-1BA5-4552-828A-7E3A1FCD0628_1.j

• Like 1

Looks like a nice finish from all the use. Can't argue with something that's last 25 years.

Jim

I'm now wanting to craft a proper shillelagh using better methods, possibly hot lead loading it if it seems a bit light in the burl end.

And Drac, I have you to thank for the motivation to pursue new hobbies and to pick up old ones again!

nice work. Especially for 15, looks great after 25 yrs.

Looks great man, I was never great at wood working but man do I wish I had some of the talent you possess.

Use has smoothed out the roughness over the years, it's got dents from use but overall it's not bad!

Looks great man, I was never great at wood working but man do I wish I had some of the talent you possess.

I'm not that talented, Drac? That guy has heaps of talent and a gift for art!

:redface1:

You have plenty. I just have a knack for picking this up. Trust me if it takes more than a few minutes to learn I probably will skip it.

Jim

• Like 1

:redface1:

You have plenty. I just have a knack for picking this up. Trust me if it takes more than a few minutes to learn I probably will skip it.

Jim

I can teach you how to build a race engine for use at a race like pikes peak, engines are actually quite simple, it's the need for precision, perfection, and exacting measurements that scares most folks... I find it soothing, like meditation.

I need to stop the mechanic-meditation and move on to simpler hobbies.

You guys impress the heck out of me . . . I love wood work, hence the name. But, I get distracted, and it's hard to get back into things. Patrick, we should get together and do some carving . . . you're not that far away?

Peace . . .

:KILT:

I went for a walk tonight with the wife, my boy, and one of the pooches.

My son had his wee peach tree-limb "Walkin Tick" the evening was perfect, not too hot nor cool, I tried out the Wallace hunting kilt, still needs tweaking but it's coming along. The reverse pleat needs redoing for sure.

But hot d@mn that stick felt perfect.