Sign in to follow this  
Iron John

Good Website On The History Of Tartan And The Wearing Of The Kilt

A lot of the info on that site is the same old same old if not downright questionable,if you want the hardcore kilt history go to Matt Newsome's site www.albanach.org/ Tons of serious kilt info.........

A lot of the info on that site is the same old same old if not downright questionable,if you want the hardcore kilt history go to Matt Newsome's site www.albanach.org/ Tons of serious kilt info.........

I noticed that Matt Newsome gives the name of the regimental tailor as Pinkerton instead of Parkinson. I've seen the story about Thomas Rawlinson before in other sources, but they always give the name of Rawlinson's friend the tailor as Parkinson. Where did Matt Newsome get the name Pinkerton from?

I noticed that Matt Newsome gives the name of the regimental tailor as Pinkerton instead of Parkinson. I've seen the story about Thomas Rawlinson before in other sources, but they always give the name of Rawlinson's friend the tailor as Parkinson. Where did Matt Newsome get the name Pinkerton from?

My guess is its a typo,but if it's not then he'll have a good source document to back it up! You can email him if you want, he's pretty good about getting back to people and if it's a mistake I'm sure he'd like to fix it.

The Iron works manager was called Rawlinson, the tailor was called Parkinson, and it was written about by Pinkerton in "the Highland Kilt and Old Irish Dress" some years later.

My guess is its a typo,but if it's not then he'll have a good source document to back it up! You can email him if you want, he's pretty good about getting back to people and if it's a mistake I'm sure he'd like to fix it.

There was a Scottish antiquarian named John Pinkerton (1758-1826), who evidently supported the claims made by Ivan Baillie of Aberiachan, whose account of the feilidh-beg having been first produced by the regimental tailor named Parkinson at the suggestion of Thomas Rawlinson, was published in the Edinburgh Magazine in March 1785.

It should be noted however that John Pinkerton was vehemently anti-Celtic and was a proponent of the concept of Germanic superiority who even went so far as to claim that the Picts were a Gothic tribe; so his support of Baillie's account was no doubt colored by his distate for Celtic culture in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pinkerton

Edited by Iron John

The Iron works manager was called Rawlinson, the tailor was called Parkinson, and it was written about by Pinkerton in "the Highland Kilt and Old Irish Dress" some years later.

Newsome must have gotten the names confused in his essay. Parkinson and Pinkerton being somewhat similar, I suppose.

Edit: I found an on-line edition to the essay entitled The Highland Kilt and the Old Irish Dress by a William Pinkerton, published in the Ulster Journal of Archaelogy in 1858, that you referred to here: http://www.jstor.org/stable/20608882?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Edited by Iron John