Vader

Help Making A "special" Sporran

I have a design for a sporran I want to make (or have made). The basic premise is having a kydex shell inside the sporran to carry my pistol.

I have the kydex shell. Just need help designing the sporran. Are there any tutorials?

• Like 1

I like this idea, it could work other holsters too, not just kydex. Leather, I even see nylon holsters as very viable in this set up.

The main reason I am thinking Kydex is the thickness. I have both a full leather holster and a kydex, and my kydex is just a bit thinner. Now I realize we are only talking fractions of an inch here, but in a small space, they add up.

Well, i started making a pattern. Found a tutorial online on how to make a sporran in general, now, modifying that plan to fit my conceal carry idea. I'll share pics and patterns as they develop.

FYI, I am building this around an Aliengear holster. So my pattern should be an exact match for anyone else if they use Aliengear parts.

Here is what I have so far. This is based on an Aliengear kydex shell, an M&P Shield 9mm, and a cheap sporran I got a while back.

Looks like this will be an easy fit. Also checking, the pistol is about 1-1/8" deep and the sporran opens up to 2" deep. So looks like I can modify my old sporran or just make a newer cooler one that looks better.

sporran.jpg

I don't conceal and carry via my sporran because the weight, even with a lightweight polymer framed compact, distorts the hang and angle of the sporran. Sporran suspender style straps might be the way to go to mitigate this.

I use a shoulder rig when wearing one of my argylls instead. In the pant style holsters with a kilt belt might work for the slimmer individual, but creates too much pull down for this fatso. :laughing:

Edited by Mike S.

I feel ya pain on the IWB holster. But this design will have a belt to go along. I am placing d-rings at the 3 and 9 o'clock position on the belt and then going to figure a good mounting at the sporran to distribute the weight. This will be a full system, not just a sporran.

• Like 1

I think working with one of the Aliengear shells and then riveting it into a sporran might be a good option.  I do some leather work and might try this with my G43 with the TLR-6.  

Something like this might be cool: http://theholstersite.com/sporran/ . The problem for me is pistol weight and size. A high power or commander is a little bit of weight for a sporran. A snubbie would work better.