Sign in to follow this  
Joseph

Jacobites, Catholics, Protestants- Celtic Fueding?

Jacobites

Catholics

Presbyterian

Episcopalian

others?

From a historical and heritage perspective, each of these groups have a loyal and proud following. And equally as loyal and disapproving group that still holds them with contempt. It seems, somehow everyone has decided not to talk about any of it too much and just agree to get along.

So historically, what is the deal with these groups? And what's different about them today? Did I miss any others influencial groups of note?

(I know how to use Wikipedia but it's not that specific about my question, and I am not trying to become a research expert on all their details)

Joseph,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you limiting the question to the influence of Christian groups on Scotland, or is it a more general question on the influence of religious groups?

Though these groups are Christian it doesn't have to be if there are other such influencial Pagans or whatever.

I'll try to narrow down the examples of questions.

There are groups of Americans, English, Scots, and Irish who hold the involvement of Jacobites in Scottish history with pride. There are others in those same regions that regard the Jacobites with disdain. Why? What's the deal either way?

Same question related to Catholics, Pesbyterians, Episcopals, and any other groups I've failed to notice.

I would like to try to break down this question. As far as I am aware the Jacobites were the followers of King James of Scotland. The Stuart Kings were deposed by the House of Hanover. Prince Charles, Bonnie Prince Charlie, Had some backing from the French, as England's Enemies, to reclaim the throne of Scotland for the Scotts.

My personal view is that the rebellion was ill concieved and had leadership and manning level problems.

The result was that the Highland Way of Life was crushed and the Highlanders left their lands..

If anyone wishes to disagree with me I suggest they read " The Life and Times of Bonnie Prince Charlie " Published forty or fifty years ago.

I would suggest that a researcher goes back to the Vikings in Scotland, from about a thousand years before the 1745 Rebellion.

The Original Black Watch Kilted Highland regiment was raise before this rebellion to protect the Highland Live stock from Raiders and form an Intelligence System to monitor any potential rebellion.

As far as I am aware the other groups you mention are religious Groups. I am not getting involved in religion as the various Philosphies can be misleading to the uneducated.....Kiltiekid...23.6.16.

If one conciders the Jews as a religious group, or a nation , references to the Wandering Jews, go back to religious times and the Roman Influence some two thousand years ago.

Are Religious Groups Land grabbers ? Do the leaders whish to live off their followers charity ?

Anyone can preach a religion. Many religious buildings are now redundant in the U.K..................Kiltiekid....23.6.16.

Please allow me to consider Migration and its cause.

Perhaps lack of food due to a potatoe blight,....... Disease,...... Poverty, due to an economic crisis,.......black or white slavery......religious beliefs.

There was a claim that there were more Scots in New York than there were in Scotland.

Do I wear the Kilt as a Political Statement , Or a religious Statement or a Fashion Statement ?

Try considering the movement of the Celts , possibly from the River Danube , some five hundred years before the Roman Invasion of England .

I may be getting off the thread but perhaps the answer to the question lies in Religion and Migration. Kiltiekid....23.6.16.