Kiltedwolfman

Solid or Tartan, it doesn't matter! Or does it?

We make kilts out of all kinds of materials and are often asked what's better? The answer is simple, whatever you prefer is the best choice for you. It's hard to suggest that there are types of kilts that are more " kilt" than another style of kilt. That being said there are a lot of kilts that are quite fashion forward and not everyone's cup of tea, but they are certainly great for those that like them. 

When choosing a kilt ask yourself "What will I be doing while wearing this kilt" and then select the best type of kilt that fits the activity and of course your personality.

There are conventions of dress that often correspond with kilt wearing and it's wise to know them and the occasions in which they are relevant, but it's up to you as to whether or not you choose to follow them. If you don't, if you for example decide you'll wear a nifty camo kilt and hoodie to a black tie event, you should be ready and unsurprised by any negative feedback that comes at you. As a kilt wearer you're representing kilt wearing folks everywhere and it behooves you to put your best pleat forward!

DSC03787.JPG

Pleats of Hawes.jpg

Pride kilt.jpg

Jackson in formal.jpg

Justin in semiformal.jpg

• Like 1

I agree to each his own. I love em all. I prefer tartans, but I have no squabble with anyone who doesn't.

I also don't generally conform to most expected standards. I do have a tendency to argue with those who do expect a certain standard. I believe negative feedback is unacceptable for any reason (in regards to kilts). But alas he is right. It does exist, otherwise there would be no need for people like me that stand against such negative feedback.

I kind of want a solid black like Stillwaters. I think a solid black would look so good with a PC or my favorite cord jaket 

Solid black has been one of the "hot" kilts for us this summer, alongside khaki. One of the niftier versions of black were these ones here,

This one was also quite cool.

hi,

Plain black looks good, but so do tartans and other solid colours!

Knife pleats, box pleats...basically most kilts look good. 

I don't have a sporran, and own mostly box pleated kilts that are light and comfortable

Here's a picture of me in a heavier Melton wool box pleated kilt.

terry

Oxburgh Hall.JPG

• Like 1

I love box pleat kilts. I think you can get a great looking, hanging and swishing kilt in a box pleat with the bonus of roughly half the weight. Box pleats are my go to summer kilts.  Here's a pic of one of our solid grey box pleat Rampage kilts.

Rampage plts.jpg

Edited by Kiltedwolfman