ColoradoRaptor

MEAD the first and still the best!

Well then folks, I was looking over this section and noticed a major shortcoming ......... No mention of the best brew in the world ..... MEAD!! Have you tried it? If so describe your experience! If you have not tried it?? WHY?? Do you brew? What and how often. Do you have an awesome recipe?? Please post it!!

had a long distance relationship with a girl in denmark about 9-10 years ago (won't go into details on that mess...), and she brought over mead she had brewed.  all she was allowed to bring was two small bottles, so there wasn't much...but it was amazing.  i had gotten the recipe from her, but unfortunately, i had since lost it.  i did try a sip of some someone else had made...but it was far from sweet.  he liked it, but i wouldn't call it drinkable...but that's just my opinion.

I tried some in Savannah at the Savannah Bee Company this past summer. They have a tasting bar in the back. For x dollars, like five bucks, you can try a small glass of several meads. Pretty good but I still prefer my Guinness. 

• Like 1

I love mead!  Prefer the sweeter ones but definitely my favorite wine.

Drac

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Drake00013 said:

had a long distance relationship with a girl in denmark about 9-10 years ago (won't go into details on that mess...), and she brought over mead she had brewed.  all she was allowed to bring was two small bottles, so there wasn't much...but it was amazing.  i had gotten the recipe from her, but unfortunately, i had since lost it.  i did try a sip of some someone else had made...but it was far from sweet.  he liked it, but i wouldn't call it drinkable...but that's just my opinion.

I have been making mead for nearly 25 years.... LOL.   I love the stuff and enjoy it regularly! If anyone is interested I can post a recipe or two....  

6 hours ago, SirHaggis said:

I tried some in Savannah at the Savannah Bee Company this past summer. They have a tasting bar in the back. For x dollars, like five bucks, you can try a small glass of several meads. Pretty good but I still prefer my Guinness. 

Ah... Guinness, one of my favorites. I do prefer Murphy's over Guinness though! I have not brewed any beer since I was a wee lad and don't have the equipment for that at the moment. I do however plan to remedy that.

1 hour ago, Drac said:

I love mead!  Prefer the sweeter ones but definitely my favorite wine.

Drac

Well my friend you are in luck, I love sweet mead as well! I have a wonderful Pyment (Muscot Grape juice & Clover Honey) that is 18% ABV. If you would like some let me know. I see you are retired Navy. I am in the reserves at the moment soon to retire myself. I am a MA1(IDW).

There's a Meadery here in Boulder (Redstone Meadery) which is pretty darned awesome. I need to check the place out when I haven't also been to a brewery or three beforehand...

2 hours ago, Fueco said:

There's a Meadery here in Boulder (Redstone Meadery) which is pretty darned awesome. I need to check the place out when I haven't also been to a brewery or three beforehand...

Yes, I have been there! Good mead but mine is better B)

I have been known to imbibe a glass (or three) of mead, from time to time.

That sound like it would be very interesting to do

The only Mead readily available to me here in Louisville KY is from Oliver Wines. It's certainly potable--even enjoyable--but I've no other meads to compare to it.

My wife is quite fond of it. It's a special occasion pleasure.