Sign in to follow this  
Kiltedwolfman

Box pleats and smiling faces

I love knife pleat kilts, but I also love box pleat kilts and am often questioned as to which is better. My answer is always " That's the wrong question to ask, you should ask which is better for you." There is lots of info about both kinds of kilts so I won't get into the details about them here. I will however share this picture of two lads who decided on box pleats on a bit of a whim and as the picture shows, are quite happy for it.

Irish kilt mike1.png

Well, the few kilts I have are knife pleats. The style that has caught my attention lately is a military roll from Lady Chrystel. I would love to see and touch one up close.

Military box pleats look quite nice, but are a pain to make. From a kilt-makers perspective they look like the result of an accident in pressing that became fashion. One "legend" talks about an officer during the Boer war whose batman mispressed his kilt, rolling all the pleats backwards. The officer didn't notice and soon the troops followed suit. Is this tale true? I have no idea, but it does sound reasonable. If you want a quick idea of what they would look like take one of your current kilts and fold the pleats back on themselves. Do about 10 pleats and pin them in place to see how you like the look.