Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Amadan

Well, that was unnecessary ...

8 posts in this topic

Today, we celebrated St. Patrick's Day, at our favorite pub, which was packed.

(needless to say, I was kilted, in Irish National Tartan, with appropriate hose, shoes, shirt, vest, tie, and leather 'cycle jacket)( I received many compliments, and photo requests)

The wife & I were slowly making our way to leave, and we stopped to say goodbye to a small group of friends.

As we chatted, I heard a voice, behind me say: "Mom?"
I paid little attention, until I noticed my friends' eyes looking behind me.
Again, I heard "Mom?", which interrupted our discussion.

Turning, I behold an unknown gentleman, around 45 years of age, slight stature, nicely dressed in a manner that would lead me to believe he was of otherwise decent decorum
"Excuse me?" I responded.

"Is that you, Mom?", he further queried.

"Does your Mom have a beard, sir?" (I have a rather thick blonde/white beard)

"No, but she wears a skirt, too, like you", was his reply.

"Really?" "Did your Mom ever beat your a$$?" I questioned.

The gentleman nodded.
"Well, then, I might actually have something in common with your mother, after all." 
His facial expression went from smug smile to concerned apprehension.
"Sir, I have never, ever worn a skirt - this is a kilt".
"Yes, I know that." he admitted.
"So, you cannot feign ignorance; therefore that was an intentional slur.", and I returned my attention to my friends.
As he walked away, he muttered something about "...just kidding..."

Those who know me, understand that I am not of a belligerent nature - I can shrug off insults, and tend to defuse situations with self-deprecating humor. 

The few negative remarks I've experienced (kilted) usually came from 14-year-olds - not  gentlemen dressed like a college professor.

Normally, I just ignore, and move on. For some reason, this caught me so off-guard (and ticked-me-off) that I felt compelled to respond.
Feel like a bit of a jerk, as I try to be a positive example of kiltdom.

I guess I can attribute it to alcohol.

Sometimes the snap response IS the best.

He dealt the hand, you just played it out. You had the better cards.

Sounds to Me Like You Won. and it Might Have Been That Liquid Courage on His Part.

john

Just bugs me, that I stooped to his level (which doesn't feel like a "win", to me).
Normally, I would simply give an ambivalent glance, and ignore.
What perturbed me, more than anything, was rudely interrupting the conversation of 6 people, with his sophomoric remark.

I can take insults, all day long, and laugh at it.

But display a lack of basic manners (especially towards my friends), and I have issue.  

1 person likes this

I went kilted to the Gaelic Storm concert in Milwaukee last night, with my wonderful wife. After the show as we walked to the car some idiot started in with comments about my skirt and whether I had on underwear. In deference to my wife ignored him and he went away to his friends scolding. Unfortunately idiots are everywhere. 

Well played. He picked the duel, you won.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, The Amadan said:

Just bugs me, that I stooped to his level (which doesn't feel like a "win", to me).
Normally, I would simply give an ambivalent glance, and ignore.
What perturbed me, more than anything, was rudely interrupting the conversation of 6 people, with his sophomoric remark.

I can take insults, all day long, and laugh at it.

But display a lack of basic manners (especially towards my friends), and I have issue.  

I disagree here. Sometimes idiots bells need rung! I am a polite and respectful person even in situations like you described but there just comes a time when you need to put people in their place and remind them that respect goes a long way! :evil: