Sign in to follow this  
The Amadan

Well, that was unnecessary ...

Today, we celebrated St. Patrick's Day, at our favorite pub, which was packed.

(needless to say, I was kilted, in Irish National Tartan, with appropriate hose, shoes, shirt, vest, tie, and leather 'cycle jacket)( I received many compliments, and photo requests)

The wife & I were slowly making our way to leave, and we stopped to say goodbye to a small group of friends.

As we chatted, I heard a voice, behind me say: "Mom?"
I paid little attention, until I noticed my friends' eyes looking behind me.
Again, I heard "Mom?", which interrupted our discussion.

Turning, I behold an unknown gentleman, around 45 years of age, slight stature, nicely dressed in a manner that would lead me to believe he was of otherwise decent decorum
"Excuse me?" I responded.

"Is that you, Mom?", he further queried.

"Does your Mom have a beard, sir?" (I have a rather thick blonde/white beard)

"No, but she wears a skirt, too, like you", was his reply.

"Really?" "Did your Mom ever beat your a$$?" I questioned.

The gentleman nodded.
"Well, then, I might actually have something in common with your mother, after all." 
His facial expression went from smug smile to concerned apprehension.
"Sir, I have never, ever worn a skirt - this is a kilt".
"Yes, I know that." he admitted.
"So, you cannot feign ignorance; therefore that was an intentional slur.", and I returned my attention to my friends.
As he walked away, he muttered something about "...just kidding..."

Those who know me, understand that I am not of a belligerent nature - I can shrug off insults, and tend to defuse situations with self-deprecating humor. 

The few negative remarks I've experienced (kilted) usually came from 14-year-olds - not  gentlemen dressed like a college professor.

Normally, I just ignore, and move on. For some reason, this caught me so off-guard (and ticked-me-off) that I felt compelled to respond.
Feel like a bit of a jerk, as I try to be a positive example of kiltdom.

I guess I can attribute it to alcohol.

Sometimes the snap response IS the best.

He dealt the hand, you just played it out. You had the better cards.

Sounds to Me Like You Won. and it Might Have Been That Liquid Courage on His Part.

john

Just bugs me, that I stooped to his level (which doesn't feel like a "win", to me).
Normally, I would simply give an ambivalent glance, and ignore.
What perturbed me, more than anything, was rudely interrupting the conversation of 6 people, with his sophomoric remark.

I can take insults, all day long, and laugh at it.

But display a lack of basic manners (especially towards my friends), and I have issue.  

• Like 2

I Know What You Mean.

John

I went kilted to the Gaelic Storm concert in Milwaukee last night, with my wonderful wife. After the show as we walked to the car some idiot started in with comments about my skirt and whether I had on underwear. In deference to my wife ignored him and he went away to his friends scolding. Unfortunately idiots are everywhere. 

Well played. He picked the duel, you won.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, The Amadan said:

Just bugs me, that I stooped to his level (which doesn't feel like a "win", to me).
Normally, I would simply give an ambivalent glance, and ignore.
What perturbed me, more than anything, was rudely interrupting the conversation of 6 people, with his sophomoric remark.

I can take insults, all day long, and laugh at it.

But display a lack of basic manners (especially towards my friends), and I have issue.  

I disagree here. Sometimes idiots bells need rung! I am a polite and respectful person even in situations like you described but there just comes a time when you need to put people in their place and remind them that respect goes a long way! :evil:

I see nothing wrong with what you did, he tried to insult and decided to be ignorant, at best you defended yourself, at worst you responded in kind, either way, you can hold your head high. It's funny how it goes when you wear the kilt regularly you have good days and bad, a little while ago I had to defend my girlfriend against verbal attacks, she is in a wheelchair and gets targeted all the time as a result. I stepped in to try to stop it and diffuse the situation, the attacker decided to try to attack me for my choice of clothing, it did not go well for them. Yesterday on the other hand I got nothing but compliments on the kilt.

• Like 1

To add to my comment above. Society has changed for the worse due to the way we interact with one another. I have watched how people have become bolder and bolder with criminal activity and disrespect due to society frowning upon self-defense. Basically you can't defend your honor or your person these days without having to worry about going to jail or getting sued! People are afraid of getting sued or going to jail because they defended their person from robbery or assault and now insult. I remember better days when you gave your insulter a black eye, bloody lip or both and sometimes even became friends afterwards. Or simply having the right to use deadly force to defend your home and family! There are some places here in the states and throughout the world where you still can do these things and not have to worry..... but it is becoming increasingly difficult to defend even your honor or dignity from insult because society has been brainwashed into believing that violence isn't the answer...... The only way to defeat violence of evil men is to deliver righteous violence in return! Our ancestors knew this and were better off for it! If that person that insulted you had been smashed in the mouth, he would have thought twice about doing it again ..... yet he knows that he can insult someone and get away with little more than verbal judo. If it was accepted that insulting others would get a justified physical response, you would have fewer insults! When you show weakness your enemy will take advantage of it!  I'm probably beating a dead horse here but I thought I should elaborate upon my earlier comment. B)

• Like 1

I would have started with "How are you going to explain to all your friends that a dude in a skirt kicked your ass?", then proceeded to whittle him down more with sharp verbal attacks that he was certainly unable to defend.  Your restraint is to be lauded.

Probably not the line to have used in your situation, but I have had a guy give me guff about my kilt, in part to entertain his buddies. I looked him in the eye and said, so his buddies could hear, "Some guys need more room."

His buddies proceeded to give HIM the guff.

• Like 1