21.1,18. Hello, I am a newbie from S.W. England. U.K..................Been wearing the Traditional Scottish Kilt for Years. Latest Kilt is a made to measure 8 yard 16oz  made by a Scottish kilt maker in the Highlands of Scotland..... My thoughts are; if one is going to invest in a new Kilt , make sure it fits and will last a lifetime.

Some time ago there was thread on Boy Scouts KIlts.... In My old Scouting For Boys It stated that Scottish Scouts may wear their Family Tartan as part of the Scottish Boy Scout Uniform.......'''This is the same statement that many Scottish Grammar Schools made regarding Family Tartan Kilts as an alternative to Shorts as part of their school uniform......You will note that the Youngster could wear his Family Tartan For two separate purposes.  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Regards..........wee laddie 18

• Thanks 1

Welcome, from a kilt maker in SW London

Welcome from Arizona. I could be wrong, but I think the tartan the boy scouts use in the states is MacLaren. I've never been the UK. My mom had family from there. Here maternal grandmother was from London and we have relatives in Kent, High Halden. Maybe some day I'll get there. 

Thanks for welcome. ...your comment re MacLaren Tartan for States Boy Scouts is Made re Mr MacLaren being involved with Scouts Admin.in the States.... .Originally Scouts were English and wore shorts...... The Scottish Boy Scouts wore Kilts, as their fathers had done for family occasions. Their fathers would have worn the regimental Kilt if they had served in a Scottish Highland Infantary Regiment...............Somewhere in the scouts thread there is a photo of Scottish Boy Scouts....... It looks as if the boy on the left is wearing a military tartan in green , Pleated to the white stripe. The white stripe is picked out in each of the pleats.    Civilian Kilts are usually pleated to show a repeat of the tartan pattern on the apron on the front of the Kilt. ........I consider the boy may be wearing an ex military fourteen year old drummer boys kilt.   ...........................................................................

Interesting to hear your Moms' family came from London and Kent area.................  wee laddie 18        .....22.1.18

7 hours ago, wee laddie 18 said:

Thanks for welcome. ...your comment re MacLaren Tartan for States Boy Scouts is Made re Mr MacLaren being involved with Scouts Admin.in the States.... .Originally Scouts were English and wore shorts...... The Scottish Boy Scouts wore Kilts, as their fathers had done for family occasions. Their fathers would have worn the regimental Kilt if they had served in a Scottish Highland Infantary Regiment...............Somewhere in the scouts thread there is a photo of Scottish Boy Scouts....... It looks as if the boy on the left is wearing a military tartan in green , Pleated to the white stripe. The white stripe is picked out in each of the pleats.    Civilian Kilts are usually pleated to show a repeat of the tartan pattern on the apron on the front of the Kilt. ........I consider the boy may be wearing an ex military fourteen year old drummer boys kilt.   ...........................................................................

Interesting to hear your Moms' family came from London and Kent area.................  wee laddie 18        .....22.1.18

Here is where I saw the MacLaren reference: http://store.stillwaterkilts.com/scoutkilts.html

With pleating, yes the military usually go for a stripe, much easier to adjust sizing later on, but really there is no restriction on how  anyone outside a uniform situation should have your kilt, if you like to the stripe go for it, it's a personal choice, neither a rule or a requirement

Pleating to the stripe.       Paulhenry.  Thank you for your comments . I have an 8 yard 16 oz Civillian Black Watch kilt pleated to the black stripe. Material is Locharron Strom...............

I also have an ex M.O.D. Liverpool Scottish in Forbes Tartan, Pleated to the white stripe..........................Brand new and been in a Store for twenty years before disposal. 

The Black Watch Tartan is subdued, where as the Forbes pleated to the white stripe could be described as Sharp.

I consider the way the overall pattern of tartan sett is changed by pleating to the stripe adds interest to the Traditional Kilt, as a unique  Male Garment.

I heard it is easier to lay out a Military Kilt pleated to the Stripe.     ..........wee laddie 18     22.1.18.

Maclaren reference http://store.stillwaterkilts.com/ scoutkilts.htm

macmanjim Thanks for this reference. The group of Scout Leaders look smart and well turned out for outdoor scouting activities in their Maclaren Kilts from Stillwater Kilts

Let us hope this Scout uniform Kilt proves suitable for the boys..... wee laddie 18 ...... 22.01.18

Howdy from the Republic of Texas! 

Welcome, from south-central Pennsylvania!

Welcome, from Oklahoma. 

Welcome From S.E. Wisconsin.

John

Hello from Georgia

th.jpg.aad6166e05f8fd14fb639db12bc0dfdd.jpg