KT

What kind of shenanigans are you up to lately?

Recommended Posts

I've been busy as hell. 

 

got laid off.

started a new company.

scoutmaster of a scout troop

still raising the kids

working like hell to keep the truck going

doing videos most every night

 

oh

and wearing the kilt all the time!

 

what are you up to lately?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry about the Job

Hope the New Company is doing Well

I Was a Scout Master

All the Kids are Raised Just the Grand Kids to Deal With

Cars Doing Fine

No Videos Latley

Good to See Ya

 

 

John

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, KT said:

I've been busy as hell...

 

...oh

and wearing the kilt all the time!

 

what are you up to lately?

Unless it's cold...No real shenanigans here. Going to a Burns dinner tomorrow night. First one. Don't have the full kit yet, but I'll be presentable. One of my brother in laws is in town for the Open and we invited he and his wife to the dinner, but no kilt for him. Even though he's a lot more Scottish than I am, he won't do it. When I visited NY last October my wife's family through a party for us and I came with my heritage of Scotland tartan kilt on, light blue shirt with a dark blue tie, hose with flashes. Anyway, I got some comments and all I'll say is, they were of the Scottish descent. I think it's more of an Americanized male cultural deal. They've been too long separated from their ancestors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see..

Work, rinse, repeat.

Tinkering with my motorcycle (in the garage due to cold weather)

training our dog (actually, he's training me)

building new 5.1 surround speaker system

built new home server & HTPC

general home improvement projects

annoying the wife, in new & interesting ways

 

Heading to an annual dinner gathering of friends, tonight. Will be in my Black Stewart, with matching tie, coordinated shirt, vest & accessories. Must stop at beverage shop, and select a decent bottle of whiskey, for the after-dinner "tasting" session.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well let's see. 

Still working

Still Assistant Scoutmastering

Still instructing on archery and firearms

Lacrosse coaching - season just starting up. 

Recently joined the board of a new non-profit organization. 

Still kilted. 

 

There may be other things but they aren't coming to me at the moment. 

 

Oh. Just remembered. Signing up to get certified for SCUBA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up to the usual here

Work,

Doing a few thing in the community

keeping up on my knitting

always in a kilt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working as usual at the hospital

Working at home helping my son get his 69 Mustang on the road

Planning his Eagle Scout Court of Honor next month

Trying to get licensed in Texas so I can work even more

Kilted when I can

 

His car: 

 

 

 

FB_IMG_1495133616856.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's quite a car for a kid. When I was his age, I always wanted a 1970 442 W-30. Could have gotten them for under $2000 at the time, but never had that kind of money then. Now it would be like buying a house to get a real one. Anything over 35-40 years old is getting ridiculous price wise. What I might do is try to find a mid to late 80's F or A body GM. I owned a 1983 Camaro where I put a 400SBC in 25 years ago. That car was fun. Might be interesting to do again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still working as a nurse.

Building out a scottish/irish themed online store.

Running my smartphone app development company.

Tore out the dryer venting in my house and replaced it all as it had screws connecting it all together and the lint was completely backed up filling up the venting tubes.  I still have to put the ceiling back together for that one but it's pretty much completed.

Building a cryptocurrency mining rig (almost done).

I have to repaint my office, my wife picked out a flesh colored pink tone that was supposedly tan.  It's a no from me.

Once my office is back together then I can really finish up the store, so I'm looking forward to that.

Lots of shoveling the driveway because it's Wisconsin.

Lots of family time getting in there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just signed up on this forum, new member to the Brotherhood of the kilt. Just ordered a new kilt from ANGRY BASTARDS and I pray that it is as nice as the video review done by Bearded an Kilted. Hope to get to know more people who are into kilt, beginning to think I’m the only one in Ohio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a little busy...

Got laid off a week or two before Thanksgiving. Started the new job the Monday after Thanksgiving (at better pay than any job I've had for the last five years, and better than most I've had).

Had three or four weeks at six-day work weeks (the overtime has been quite helpful...).

We still have two Basset Hounds (Wilbur and Orville), and the key difference between raising two dogs and raising two kids (aside from that the dogs never grow up) is that I can take the dogs places on leashes and nobody gives me the stink-eye. Leash a kid?

Now to get work to allow me to wear Utilikilts...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bikeolounger said:

I've been a little busy...

Got laid off a week or two before Thanksgiving. Started the new job the Monday after Thanksgiving (at better pay than any job I've had for the last five years, and better than most I've had).

Had three or four weeks at six-day work weeks (the overtime has been quite helpful...).

We still have two Basset Hounds (Wilbur and Orville), and the key difference between raising two dogs and raising two kids (aside from that the dogs never grow up) is that I can take the dogs places on leashes and nobody gives me the stink-eye. Leash a kid?

Now to get work to allow me to wear Utilikilts...

 

 

The key is finding that out before you get the job offer.  People forget that the hiring process is a two way street. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the time, I was more interested in returning to having a revenue stream than I was in making sure I could work in a kilt. Sometimes we don't have the luxury of saying, "I'll only work for you if I can wear a kilt."

I don't have a money tree in my back yard, and don't assume anyone else does, either.

And, to be fair, there are places where kilts aren't the best choice of work wear.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2018 at 6:31 AM, bikeolounger said:

At the time, I was more interested in returning to having a revenue stream than I was in making sure I could work in a kilt. Sometimes we don't have the luxury of saying, "I'll only work for you if I can wear a kilt."

I don't have a money tree in my back yard, and don't assume anyone else does, either.

And, to be fair, there are places where kilts aren't the best choice of work wear.

 

 

I think we have the luxury more often than not and never even try to find out if we can do X. People forget that interviewing and getting a job is a two way street. Ingrained manorial attitudes still exist in a lot of places and then there's the intransigence to going to when work is or even something better. When I lived in Iowa and Maytag went under, a lot of folks thought they were entitled to the lifestyle they were used to and it didn't enter their mind to go where there are better pastures, no pun intended. Our ancestors came thousands of miles at a time when it was like going to the moon now and somehow we've lost that adaptability. A good person to follow as far as career advice is Liz Ryan. If you are on Linked In, she writes there. A different mindset and right as rain about a lot of stuff people think is just the way it is. SO, if you want to wear a kilt at work, it's good to find out policies RE dress code and even more importantly what the culture is at a company one is engaging. Again, it's a two way street. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, the store manager would be fine with me wearing a kilt and has said so.

Sadly, it's a retail environment, and there is a published dress code/uniform standard (among other things, this suggests that a kilt that I would be able to get away with would be navy blue or nearly black, and I don't have a Utilikilts Workmans in black--yet). The HR harridan would have a hissy fit (although we don't see her on a daily basis--we are one of five or six stores in her district).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, bikeolounger said:

Oh, the store manager would be fine with me wearing a kilt and has said so.

Sadly, it's a retail environment, and there is a published dress code/uniform standard (among other things, this suggests that a kilt that I would be able to get away with would be navy blue or nearly black, and I don't have a Utilikilts Workmans in black--yet). The HR harridan would have a hissy fit (although we don't see her on a daily basis--we are one of five or six stores in her district).

 

If it's not against policy, let her have a hissy fit if your boss says it's ok. There are black traditional kilts and utility kilts too. True navy blue, DK. UT Kilts has dark blue. 

 

I work for a university, so I could probably wear whatever I wanted. I put it another way, jeans and sneakers are ok. Some guys I work with wear shorts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, macmanjim said:

 

If it's not against policy, let her have a hissy fit if your boss says it's ok. There are black traditional kilts and utility kilts too. True navy blue, DK. UT Kilts has dark blue. 

 

I work for a university, so I could probably wear whatever I wanted. I put it another way, jeans and sneakers are ok. Some guys I work with wear shorts. 

The policy specifies "navy blue or black p@nt$, like Dickies or Dockers..."

They won't allow denim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bikeolounger said:

The policy specifies "navy blue or black p@nt$, like Dickies or Dockers..."

They won't allow denim.

Black would work then. A Stumptown black would work. Antique brass hardware...They come in 25" drop now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now