Sign in to follow this  
Grumpybear74

A little help with shoe/boot and sock pairing with kilt

I have a new kilt coming that is the MacLaren ancient tartan.  What is the best shoe/boot and sock pairing for this tartan?  Is this something done by trial and error?  Thanks for helping a newbie.

I guess that would really depend on the occasion. But a pair of cream/off white hose and a pair of ghillie brogues should do just fine. 

Bottle green some times I wear red if you are just going out a pair of boots are fine dress shoes would be just fine if you don't have ghillies go to the gallery and look at some pics.wear what feels comfy.

Here is a thumbnail of the tartan in question, so others don't have to look it up to opine. ;) 

download.jpg

I would wear Lovat Green, Lovat Blue, Claret. Mustard Yellow, a Grey would also work for day wear. As for evening wear if sticking with solid hose I would go with the Claret, but I prefer Argyll or Diced hose for evening wear. Black hose just scream out funeral, so it's good to have a pair for an occasion like that but otherwise to be avoided. As for White hose I simply do not wear them, there are so many other colours to choose from and White looks too boring to my eye and gives the impression that I just rented everything I have on.