KiltedYaksman

Kilted Chronicle 5: The Beginner Piper

How does one learn the bagpipes?

Apparently, you can contact your local pipe and drum band.  It's not easy to fill the ranks of a parade with skilled or even intermediate pipes, I'll bet.  So it makes sense that the local pipe band down at the legion was happy to invite me in to watch them practise.  It was a fun experience.  The pipers were all there because they enjoyed the experience.  I was the youngest person by about 30 years, and so they were quite happy to be able to share their experience with the instrument they enjoy.  And they were very loud, even with the drones plugged.  It's a good idea to bring a pair of ear plugs when you expect to hear bagpipes indoors.

As an ex military person, it seems like a great way to learn the bagpipes.  The end result can be playing for ceremonies, which is something I think I would enjoy doing as an old bastard 30 years down the road.

So today I'm practising my chanter.  The kilted chronicle continues on.

Congratulations on starting the long journey to "mastering", or at least gaining competency, on the Great Highland Bagpipe.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 2:45 PM, Mike S. said:

Congratulations on starting the long journey to "mastering", or at least gaining competency, on the Great Highland Bagpipe.

Thanks.  I know I will do well, since my motivation is to play and march with the band at events.

• Like 1

I have one of their bootlegs where they subjected some BBC material to "Ambient Stereo" and I believe it was done with the freeware Sheppi Spatial Enhancer.