Hello All!

I'm a somewhat new member on the Facebook site as well and I am enjoying the group thus far. I recently discovered this website and am hoping to continue learning more and more about kilts.  I was wondering if there are areas of the website that specialize in clans as I want to pursue getting information about my family history. I have bought some books on clans and tartans and has looked at websites that have told me of my clan background. I don't really know how far back to go as it seems none of my fore bearers had their own tartan. My heritage is Scottish, Irish and English and I've looked at the last names of my four grandparents just to get an idea of where I come from. This is the first time in my life that I've felt a connection to my past and I only have my mother to answer questions about her parents etc as everyone else in my immediate family is deceased.  I'll do some digging on my own but thought I would take the time to try and break the ice...

Hopefully someone will chime in. 

Welcome From S.E. Wisconsin.

John

Thanks John! I'm learning about the site and appreciate the hospitality.  I'll try and post a pic of me when possible but I'm currently on my computer and no way to transfer a pic from my phone...

Chrisp

Hi from U.K. your parents may have a Scottish surname...It may be your mothers maiden name or even your mothers mother's

maiden family name ...........If either of ones parents or grandparents have a Scottish Connection they may have a Scottish surname

which is the sept of a clan to which the family name was originally attached.......

One may have a district in which your family clan members or just your own ancestors resided....

From this source one can check a registered clan or regional tartan which you can wear.....

there are also general tartans which may be worn without any specific family or regional link..........

The answer may be to check with a Kiltmaker.....some of the bigger tartan mills can supply tartans

for approximately 350 registered tartans......You may well find that you have  a choice of four or 5 tartans

which you can wear....some tartans were locally worn before the Tartan was registered with the tartan registry

in Scotland.....Do not forget that the Cornish , the Welsh , The Irish , the Bretons and other European Counties

have their own tartans....surfing the Scottish Clan or Kilt wearing webb sites may produce some useful information...

Bet of luck ............wee laddie 18

Thanks for the words. I've discovered that all my grandparents have tartans affiliated with their last names so there's much I can choose.  My grandparents come from England, Ireland and Scotland and I've checked on a Kilt makers site in Canada and yes they're all septs of clans. I guess now its my choice which one I wear...

I've started to buy clan books and some have my grandparents last names and some don't. I realize some have different sources but it can be confusing with all the contradictions and omissions. I suppose there might be an ultimate authority somewhere but people would rarely agree on one. Thanks for your input and the hunt continues for me!