Chrisp

Recommendations of Clan research sources

Hi!

I'm a new member and have started to scratch the surface of my family history. In my short time at researching I have discovered that there is a lot of information that is available and some of the info that I have discovered expands the areas of knowledge. I look at one book and I learn one thing and then I look at another book on the same subject and the info is almost completely different. I was wondering if there is a knowledgeable source to look at that may have many answers that would save me time when it comes to discovering my background.

I'm primarily interested in clans and tartans for my grandparents generation. My four grandparents are all deceased and I have only their last names to go on. The names are Cullen, MacCracken, Roberts and Paul. None of these names have their own tartan or clan but I have learned through a website for a store in Toronto Canada that they share a tartan with others. 

Should I be skeptical of a store's information? I know it's in their interest to sell people kilts and tartans but so far it's the most complete source of info for me in that all of my grandparents names are represented on their list.

Thanks in advance and happy kilting!

Chris Paul

I belong to a scottish society where I live and we have a geneologist on staff. Maybe there is a local scottish society that has the same. 

http://www.arizonascots.com/06genealogyarchive.shtml

Thanks for the suggestion. There seems to be a large number of Scots where I live so I'm sure there must be some kind of society. Will look into it!

Just an update. I've discovered an organization known as The Sons of Scotland that gets together in various Canadian cities for various functions and such. There's a section on their website that has listed a section on tartans. I have sent an email to see about joining and haven't heard back yet. Has anyone here any experience with them and is it a decent organization?

• Like 1