Chris Webb

Under the Kilt

185 posts in this topic

One of the most common issues dealt with by new kiltmen is the age old question of just what is to be worn under the kilt. The cop-out answer offered by most forums and kilt makers is, "anything you want." Of course, all new kiltmen really do want more information than that. Here's my take on underwear.

Although it is true that many guys don't wear anything, sometimes I don't, the reality is that most kiltmen are not militant Regimentalists, what we kiltmen call those who go without underwear. Songs, poems and traditions have led most to believe that a 'real Scot' doesn't wear underwear, of course, as hard as it is for some to admit, we're not real Scots anyway... because of this, thankfully, we really do have options.

I wear full back briefs, thongs or nothing depending on the lenth of the kilt, circumstances, wind and many other considerations. Most of the time I'm wearing a thong, it's sort of the best of both worlds between going Regimental and wearing full-back underwear. Contrary to popular belief a good fitting thong from someone like International Male actually feels as if nothing is worn at all.

Generally speaking I don't go Regimental (with out underwear) in a kilt shorter than the top of my knee. A kilt shorter than that will offer you nothing to protect yer nads when sitting on hot or cold surfaces, let alone offer any real privacy while doing anything but standing still indoors. I generally wear thongs, even in shorter kilts, unless I have good reason to wear more.

The main reason I wear thongs, other than keeping my arse cooler, is that I've found them to serve me well in both maintaining my privacy and also maintaining the illusion (and often expectation) of being Regimental. Frankly many, if not most, folks are disappointed to find out that I'm not wearing my kilt 'properly', ie. with out underwear. A thong very often fools them, protects me and keeps the illusion alive.

Last, there are indeed legal issues to consider. Indecency laws here in Texas require that the genitals and anus be covered and there has been legal precedence to prosecute those in violation even when the exposure was unintentional or, believe it or not, even unseen. Obviously a proper fitting thong covers those areas, satisfies the requirements of the law and allows the closest experience to Regimental kilting legally possible.

I hope this helps you to determine your personal policy on what's under your kilt. Honestly I've found that most kilt communities subtly push kiltmen to go Regimental, almost pressure them ... as a Modernist kiltman I can assure you that we are all free to wear as much or as little as we want under our kilts and we are free to adjust as necessary.

Kilt ON!

Chris Webb

Special Note: Recently I was wearing too light a kilt on too windy a day on a construction site. Some unseen observer from inside their home saw my kilt blow up a couple times and called the police, TWICE! As it is not against the law to wear a kilt they left the first time but the second time resulted in a short but tense interaction between me and an officer of the law.

Bravado aside regarding what any of us would do if confronted by the law the truth is that none of us can really afford to be arrested for public indecency or disturbing the peace. An officer CAN arrest you and leave it to a judge to determine the validity of a PE or DtheP violation. Even if found innocent you are still put through the wringer.

How did it turn out, you ask? I stood my ground and survived the circumstances without further incident. Why, because I was wearing underwear that covered my genitals and my anus. Somehow I don't think the young female officer of hispanic descent would have cared a lick about my Scottish tradition of going Regimental, nor do I think any judge would have, Scottish descent or not. This ain't Scotland.

Regimental equals Risk ... weigh the Risk, then go Regimental, if that's what you want to do.

1 person likes this

I am always regimental. If some one can tell that, they are the perv, not me

2 people like this

WOW !!!! I can't believe somebody called the police.......let alone TWICE!!!!

Another reason to prevent me from living in Texas.....

In light of the situation there I would say that your probably doing the right thing by wearing underwear.

My personal preference is to forgo the underwear as it's more comfortable for me and the fiancee' prefers me that way as well.

Good luck to ya' there and hope it doesn't happen too often!!!

depends on the situation. normally all I've got on is a wee bit o' body glide.

If I'm participating in sports, swimming, or in a children's classroom type environment, definitely underwear, normally Pdagonia's high-performance hiking boxer-briefs in black. VERY comfortable, like they are not even there. They also do wonders against chaffing.

1 person likes this

One of the few things I love about my UK workers kilt... the Modesty Snaps.

They make the kilt look ugly when they are snapped, but they do keep things modest.

I'm regimental. Every day.

1 person likes this

Does anyone else find it strange that a forum frequented mostly by men is chatting about its underwear? Am I the only one having a Barbara Walters "View" moment?

I've never seen the view, so I have no idea what you mean.

and the topic at hand is no surprise at all, as we all seek freedom in one form or another, so discussion of that which we seek to vanquish is most appropriate.

1 person likes this

Thanks Chris,

I am in the position of suffering quite a blow to my career if I were to accidently fall down the steps, or be a victim of a gust of wind. You see I investigate child victim sex crimes. In the town I live in, I would be the perv who walks aorund with his bits and pieces hanging out. Not good for courtroom credibility.

2 people like this

Does anyone else find it strange that a forum frequented mostly by men is chatting about its underwear? Am I the only one having a Barbara Walters "View" moment?

I would start to worry when someone asks for pictures!!!

I would start to worry when someone asks for pictures!!!

Hahahaha! Good point.

I am always regimental. If some one can tell that, they are the perv, not me

i totally agree!

here are some things i would like for men new to kilts should know:

i have the impression that the choice of underwear or not under a kilt is highly varied. and i feel that those that do wear underwear feel that they are doing a disservice to the kilt by doing so. i want to assert that they are not. to wear a kilt in public is honoring enough for the kilt. the choice of underwear is highly personal and should remain your personal choice period. i am annoyed however when i see cargo shorts hanging out from underneath a kilt. i don't care what you wear under it as long as it is hidden in normal standing conditions.

i used to think that wearing briefs or boxer-briefs (or thongs or other supportive underwear) defeated the purpose of the kilt. after all, the kilt is about freedom. but i now know otherwise. i know this first-hand in fact (well the "hand" isn't the part of the body in question really). boxerbriefs and briefs (and similar) will perform differently in a kilt verses p@nt$. so the main point is this: kilts are more comfortable than p@nt$ regardless of how your bangers'n'mash are built, held, configured, confined, covered, or affixed.

personally, these days i rarely wear underwear, in p@nt$ or kilts. i will wear something supportive if i am gonna be exercising. and if i am backpacking, then i will wear moisture-wicking boxer-briefs for the support and chafe protection. btw, wearing moisture-wicking underwear is truly wonderful, and they work better if under a kilt. the panted world sadly doesn't get the full benefit of moisture-wicking underwear.

i lastly will point out that i think there should be no shame in asking questions on this topic. how else do we learn? men are not being "girlie" by talking about underwear. the male body doesn't come with an owner's manual. and we can't talk to women about such stuff, they have no clue how to imagine life with their ovaries hanging outside of their bodies. face it: outdoor plumbing has ramifications. :)

2 people like this

I'm regimental underneath my underwear, does that count? :)

When kilted, usually I am regimental but it depends on the circumstances. I don't feel that your choice of undergaments, or lack thereof, makes you more or less "authentic"

depends on the situation. normally all I've got on is a wee bit o' body glide.

If I'm participating in sports, swimming, or in a children's classroom type environment, definitely underwear, normally Pdagonia's high-performance hiking boxer-briefs in black. VERY comfortable, like they are not even there. They also do wonders against chaffing.

are those the ones kind of like under-armor? ive seen a many people at orienteering meets in the St.Louis area wear those in any and all weather conditions. ive been told those are quite comfy, i just havent found a place to find any, nor do i know how to size them so that i could get a coupld of pair to test. i have been looking for something more comfy as well as effective.

on the topic note, i personaly prefer to wear something under the kilt. usualy standard boxer-briefs. the public as well as law enforcement officials, dont take kindly to the kilt as is, much less if they happen to get a glance at my tackle. i will vouch that i know a great many of people who prefer regimental and thats all they ever will do, but myself its not for me. ive tried it, and it tends to be not worth the trouble, as im always having to be careful to not show my bits'n'pieces to the world.

are those the ones kind of like under-armor? ive seen a many people at orienteering meets in the St.Louis area wear those in any and all weather conditions. ive been told those are quite comfy, i just havent found a place to find any, nor do i know how to size them so that i could get a coupld of pair to test. i have been looking for something more comfy as well as effective.

do you have an REI near you anywhere? they sell that brand and similar. just look for underwear with phrases like "moisture wicking" or "moisture transport" or "micro-fiber". the REI line of underwear with that feature is called "MTS". heck you can start to find moisture wicking underwear at Walmart, Kmart, etc. Jockey makes a line of micro-fiber, in briefs, trunks, and boxerbriefs.

i dont beleive there is one here, not that i know of. the only place one would be, i dont travel too very much. i think ive seen some things like that in sporting good stores or hunting supply stores. other than that, i dont know of any key locations i could go to for that kind of thing.

Wow! That was really fun reading! Like hanging in a locker room. Continue..please..... B)

1 person likes this

i dont beleive there is one here, not that i know of. the only place one would be, i dont travel too very much. i think ive seen some things like that in sporting good stores or hunting supply stores. other than that, i dont know of any key locations i could go to for that kind of thing.

well, like i mentioned, hit the nearest walmart or kmart and look for the micro-fiber Jockey, they work great and are rather comfortable. unlike most underwear which lies perfectly flat, these have a "pouch" design. (i never understood how underwear design never took into account that the male form is anything but flat)

Wow! That was really fun reading! Like hanging in a locker room. Continue..please..... B)

[ian scratches his butt].... [ian cuts a fart]... [ian then pops a towel at Chris]

1 person likes this

haha yeah, you would figure they would account a little better. thanks for the info. ill check into that.. haha yea she must be enjoying the convo lol.

The one place I usually wear boxer briefs (the wicking kind) is church. And I do it because we have a couple of dozen little rug rats running around at coffee hour and I can just imagine one of them getting curious about the kilt (or crawling around right next to me and looking up) and........

[ian scratches his butt].... [ian cuts a fart]... [ian then pops a towel at Chris]

Dang it, Ian, that feakin' stings!! Sooo, how'd ya like that pink dye I put in yer shower head?

Chris

1 person likes this

QUOTE(furrycelt @ Dec 14 2007, 10:10 AM)

Dang it, Ian, that feakin' stings!! Sooo, how'd ya like that pink dye I put in yer shower head?

Chris

Honey, why was Ian popping you a towel?

well, like i mentioned, hit the nearest walmart or kmart and look for the micro-fiber Jockey, they work great and are rather comfortable. unlike most underwear which lies perfectly flat, these have a "pouch" design. (i never understood how underwear design never took into account that the male form is anything but flat)

so i checked at my local wal-mart(s) all of em within 50 miles. and non of them carry those. or even the brand odly enough. ive not had a chance at kmart, but ive found some better fitting boxer briefs at walmart. a lil more ergonomical/sac shape to help.

i still hold that i wont go regimental unless i have to, a noted fact, sitting on yourself sucks. bad.

so i checked at my local wal-mart(s) all of em within 50 miles. and non of them carry those. or even the brand odly enough. ive not had a chance at kmart, but ive found some better fitting boxer briefs at walmart. a lil more ergonomical/sac shape to help.

i still hold that i wont go regimental unless i have to, a noted fact, sitting on yourself sucks. bad.

i just assumed all the big-box stores stocked the same stuff. but that would be silly; different areas have different markets.

not wanting to spend alot of time with Google, i was able to find what i was referring to online:

http://mensunderwearguy.com/2007/08/04/lif...nks-review.aspx