Fedgunner

Clan MacMillan tartan.

This is from the MacMillan Clan Chief.

"Have you any knowledge of a Branch member who likes to wear the MacMillan 'black' tartan?<snip>

So far as I'm concerned, he can wear whatever he likes. But, if he tries to persuade others that it's an authentic MacMillan tartan, I suppose I'll have to disabuse him. "

I'm afraid this would be me.

This is a direct quote from our Clan Chief.

You MacMillans now are brought up to speed. The modern black is not recognized as official.

I will continue to wear mine. I will let others know of the Clan Chief's descision.

Jack/Fedgunner

• Like 1

Chiefs can pick whatever they like, they most use whatever is "traditional."

FYI: Campbell of Argyle is NOT an official Campbell tartan! Argyle only accepts the one in an identical to Black Watch.

MacNeil: http://kiltmaker.blogspot.com/2006/07/macn...tans.html#links

MacGregor: http://kiltmaker.blogspot.com/2006/05/macg...tans.html#links

Thanks for the info Bro! I was afraid of being Disabused with a stick or some other implement of torture, until I looked up the word and learned it meant to give one the proper knowledge! Phew!

As a descendent of John and Mary McMillan I have the MacMillan dress (red and yellow) high on my hand sewn wish list.

Still haven't seen one with my eyeballs, but have seen a very few pics and hear it is very beautiful in person. Though one MacMillan clan sight says no one wears it because it is so "garish." We shall see when the funds are there.

Meantime, no risk of me wearing the wrong MacMillan tartan.

Ron

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2008 at 0:01 AM, Fedgunner said:

This is from the MacMillan Clan Chief.

"Have you any knowledge of a Branch member who likes to wear the MacMillan 'black' tartan?<snip>

So far as I'm concerned, he can wear whatever he likes. But, if he tries to persuade others that it's an authentic MacMillan tartan, I suppose I'll have to disabuse him. "

I'm afraid this would be me.

This is a direct quote from our Clan Chief.

You MacMillans now are brought up to speed. The modern black is not recognized as official.

I will continue to wear mine. I will let others know of the Clan Chief's descision.

Jack/Fedgunner

This is the 1st reference to the MacMillan Black outside of tartan offerings that I've ever seen, God bless ya'!  After 50 years of hearing that "someone" within 3 removeds of the line had a sample of "the family tartan" research came up with 2 of my family lines being septs of the MacMillans.  After finding & perusing the 1/2 dozen MacMillan linked tartans the Black was THE one I'm most likely to invest in for my "good" kilt.  I'm with ya' 100%, but then, my last name is...Free.