Sign in to follow this  
Rojellio

red, White & Blue Horsehair Sporran

;):wavey: :wavey: Ok its official, I have lost my mind.

This will go with an American Bicentennial / US St. Andrews Tartan Kilt as part of a Color Guard Uniform for my VFW post, and also the Combined Honor Guard for the Local Veterans Cemetery. In keeping with the Miltary Sporran look, I will wear {expletive deleted} Spats.... Not with just any shoe though.. I plan to wear immaculate spit shined Jump Boots. I might even have to custom make the Spats to come up a wee bit higher) Eventually I might get a Military Doublet, and feather Bonnet.

So... have been thinking of how to even go about making the Sporran, it will also be functional; BTW. I have the Hair, I have the Cantle, I have a Pro home Bernina sewing machine that sews anything that fits under the presser foot. I might even make it look like the VFW ribbon color scheme. Blue, White, Red, Yellow Red, White Blue. The Red, Blue and Yellow might be tassels. I already have the Metal cone thingie.. sort of.. Spent Fiddy caliber shells, that I spent in a sweet in the a## Barret rifle.. I will have to machine the shells a bit, and machine a bullet looking bit to put back in the shell. (I have a Taig Mini-me lathe)

I just haven't figured out how I want to secure the horsehair.

sounds like you got it figured out. As far as glues go, if you know where an archery shop is, look for Gold Tip - Tip Grip. its b asicaly a gel type super glue. but it dries in 3 minutes, and DOES NOT whiten when dried. its good and thick. holds dang near anything to anything. I use it when re fletching and putting inserts on my arrows, but have started using it on other things with great success.

It will be neat to see the finished sporran!

It will be neat to see the finished sporran!

Yeah, don't forget - we'll need pics. It would be neat to have pics along the way of your progress, too!

Pictures of the parts?

I am wondering how it will look.

I will post pictures when I get around to building it. I am still wondering HOW to do it. Rules of the shop.. dream 4 times, think 3 times, measure twice and cut once. I am still thinking... I am pretty sure I dont want to involve glue in this project.

I should probably make the pouch part first, then figure all the hair onto it. And the Fiddy caliber shell tassles... I am still contemplating that idea.