Brotherhood of the Kilt - www.KiltsRock.com Dirk and Thistle Pewterworks Paul Henry Kilts Designs By Des - Custom Chainmaille Creations

Photo

PAKISTANI kilt manufacturers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mensplace

mensplace

Kilt Addicted

• Member of the Brotherhood
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:39 AM

Notice that the SPAM of three posts from the same kilt "manufacturer" were apparently, and very rightly so, pulled. However, I would some day enjoy actually hearing from an actual manufacturer in Pakistan here on the forum if simply to hear their story, i.e., more about the industry there in light of the turbulent times.

At one time they did make fine quality kilts for the various British military units, so obviously these had to be made to military specifications both in terms of quality and material. But, today most people equate the Pakistani kilts as those being of lesser quality than say, the Scottish or American made "tank". This is not said as a judgement of any individual desires or distributors merchandise.

Do the Pakistani's still make any of the more traditionally constructed kilts of fine quality and materials?

What of any links to the Taliban or other Islamic terror organizations?

How can we be assured that our dollars don't support the very organizations responsible for terrorism?

How many actual manufacturers actually produce kilts as opposed to be internet based "distributors"?

Aside from some broad brushed or emotional negations of the Paskistani kilt industry, it surely would be interesting to hear their input, rather than just receiving SPAM either here or by email.

Maybe the good people at Stillwater could educate us.

#2 Adam

Adam

Kilt Student

• Forum User
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:09 AM

I'd be pretty interested in hearing this too. *crosses fingers*

#3 IEScotsman

IEScotsman

Administrator of the Brotherhood

• A man in a kilt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:35 AM

At the risk of being contrary to popular opinion, I really have no interest in hearing about or supporting the Pakistani tartan tat industry. The kilt is a cultural item of my heritage - a proud tradition that has represented and protected a people through hundreds of years of freedom and oppression. Even with all of its evolutionary steps and changes, a kilt represents my Scottish culture. Now if there is still some traditionally trained maker of fine kilts, that would be fascinating news. But I doubt there are any.

There are fewer and fewer professionally trained kiltmakers in Scotland. Because of companies like Gold Bros. which utilize their cheap Pakistani labor to mass produce kilts for sale on the Royal Mile, the traditional business of kiltmaking is dying. I see absolutely no reason to support this. At some point, convenience, thrift, and a lack of understanding could lead to the end of skilled handmade tartan/kilt creation as we know it today.

My tartans come from Scotland.

Brother #10 | Original Member, Legion of the Wild Haggis Hunters
www.NathanGreenberg.com
dthrow.com - Creator
ProActiveDads.com - Founder
The Huffington Post - Blogger
IEFamily.com - Blogger

#4 mensplace

mensplace

Kilt Addicted

• Member of the Brotherhood
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:03 AM

"Traditionally" the Pakistanis have been making kilts for British Brigades for many generations. My interest was more along the lines of whther any of them still make kilts of "milspec" quality. Most of what I have seen is not even comparable with the Scottish made or even those made in the US. Even in Scotland the demand for Scottish made kilts must come well below price as a buying criterion, as those Chinese made kilts sold in groceries recently were purchased by the Scots themselves, to the extent that they sold out on the first day of hitting the shelves. Very few today can afford the cost of tailor made kilts especially when the exchange rate of those from Scotland is factored in. Realizing that many major U.S. and other distributors do distribute kilts made in various countries and they are bought in large numbers, a factor that will only continue to grow, price and demand are issues that will not be going away, whether the kilts are made in Scotland, the U.S., Pakistan, China, Mexico or elsewhere. BUT, I doubt seriously that we will hear from any Pakistani manufacturers.

#5 IEScotsman

IEScotsman

Administrator of the Brotherhood

• A man in a kilt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

Oops! I just noticed a typo in my first post. The last sentences of the first paragraph should read:
"Now if there is still some traditionally trained maker of fine kilts IN PAKISTAN, that would be fascinating news. But I doubt there are any."

I don't see any reason for Pakistanis to make traditional or "milspec" kilts because they are no longer warn in any great quantity and the British are out of Pakistan. So I suppose you and I are in agreement. We shouldn't hold our breath waiting for a quality Pakistani kilt maker to chime in. ;)

Brother #10 | Original Member, Legion of the Wild Haggis Hunters
www.NathanGreenberg.com
dthrow.com - Creator
ProActiveDads.com - Founder
The Huffington Post - Blogger
IEFamily.com - Blogger

The "Brotherhood of the Kilt" logo is a registered trademark of SimpleSage, LLC, and may not be used without express written permission.
This website and all its contents © 2005-2012 SimpleSage, LLC and/or the original poster unless otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved.