Brotherhood of the Kilt - www.KiltsRock.com Artificer Customer Sporrans UnionKilts PaddyRock Radio at www.paddyrock.com

Photo

Clan MacAlpine

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kilted Carver

Kilted Carver

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

Posted Image
My mum is a geneology nut-job, and just recently found out I was kilting it up a notch and called me from N. Michigan to talk to me about her side of the fam.
Posted Image
I had known that my fathers side had been run back to the Dunbar clan, so I veered toward the In Promptu. The things my mom made me aware of recently have resparked am interest in me to learn more. She informed me of liniages that lead back to Clan MacAlpine, which claims the distinction of being the most ancient and the most purely celtic of the highland clans (from text) Posted Image
Kenneth MacAlpine became the first King of Scotland in 843 when he united the Scots and the Picts. MacAlpine blood ruled Scotland for 200 years, but somewhere shortly after that unknown event occured and the clan lost its chief and hasn't had one for 700 years, it is still chiefless today, making the clan known as a "broken" clan.
Modern Tartan
Posted Image
I think it is the hunting tartan?
Posted Image
I am still researching and learning lots of interesting things, also learned that we have affiliation with Clan Lamont (my grandparents last name of Berden) and Clan MacQuarrie ( have McGuires in family line as well)
Makes for alot of interesting reading.
Anyway, just wanted to share.
Thanks for listning to the babble,......back to carving slave!!!!
BROTHERHOOD MEMBER #133 HONORARY LIFETIME MEMBER OF SEVEN RIVERS HIGHLAND SOCIETY OFFICIAL WOODCARVER OF CLAN LAMONT SOCIETY OF N. AMERICA MEMBER CLAN MACALPINE USA
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 KT

KT

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

I am a decedent of the Kenneth MacAlpine myself. we are cousins!!!

KT
Founder,
Brotherhood of the Kilt

#3 CactusJack

CactusJack

Haggis Hunter Extraordinaire

• Comhairleoir Mór
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,651 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

Good for you KC, You have had a lot better luck than I have had.

CactusJack
cactus.jpg
Lifetime Member of The Seven Rivers Highland Society
http://seven-rivers.org/

Director of Athletics Missouri Tartan Day Festivities 
http://www.motartanday.com/

LogowithBlue1-1.jpghowlingwolfpack.jpgMcBarney-1.jpg

Proud Member of Clan McBarney

Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

#4 Kilted Carver

Kilted Carver

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:56 PM

I am a decedent of the Kenneth MacAlpine myself. we are cousins!!!

Whassup cuz!!
BROTHERHOOD MEMBER #133 HONORARY LIFETIME MEMBER OF SEVEN RIVERS HIGHLAND SOCIETY OFFICIAL WOODCARVER OF CLAN LAMONT SOCIETY OF N. AMERICA MEMBER CLAN MACALPINE USA

#5 Kilted Carver

Kilted Carver

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

I recently saw another representation of a strap and buckle that had the thistle with a crown below it,
this image is not that great, translation of the it is "Spare Not" Posted Image

The McAlpine roots are from the West Highlands of Scotland, it is thought that the ancestral family home was at Dunstaffnage just a few miles north of Oban. Posted Image
Posted Image
The McAlpine surname is patronymic in origin, being one of those names derived from the first name of the Father. It Simply means "son of ailpean" which is the Gaelic version of the old personal name 'Alpin' a name that is associated with a long line of Scottish Kings.

King Kenneth I Alpin was the first King of Scotland, he united the Picts and Scots in 843. It was not a single clan but may have included or been associated with, the MacAulays, Grants, MacKinnons, MacQuaines, MacGregors, MacDuffs and MacFies.

The McAlpine war cry was "Cunich bas Alpan" which translates to "Remember the death of Alpan". The McAlpine motto is "E'en do baite" which translates to "Spare not". The McAlpine Coat-of-Arms is offically documented in the Burke's general armory
It is well documented that our ancient family were involved in the odd skirmish, and that Kenneth may have achieved power by force!

#6 The Monk

The Monk

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

Jumping in way, way late, cause I just got here, I can also trace back to Kenneth MacAlpin on my mother's side. Also in my genealogy are Campbell, Canmore, Galloway, Dunbar, Maxwell and McFarland.

Posted Image

#7 tartanraven

tartanraven

Kilt Student

• Brother for Life
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (Kilted Carver @ May 12 2008, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mum is a geneology nut-job, and just recently found out I was kilting it up a notch and called me from N. Michigan to talk to me about her side of the fam.

I had known that my fathers side had been run back to the Dunbar clan, so I veered toward the In Promptu. The things my mom made me aware of recently have resparked am interest in me to learn more. She informed me of liniages that lead back to Clan MacAlpine, which claims the distinction of being the most ancient and the most purely celtic of the highland clans (from text)
Kenneth MacAlpine became the first King of Scotland in 843 when he united the Scots and the Picts. MacAlpine blood ruled Scotland for 200 years, but somewhere shortly after that unknown event occured and the clan lost its chief and hasn't had one for 700 years, it is still chiefless today, making the clan known as a "broken" clan.
Modern Tartan

I think it is the hunting tartan?

I am still researching and learning lots of interesting things, also learned that we have affiliation with Clan Lamont (my grandparents last name of Berden) and Clan MacQuarrie ( have McGuires in family line as well)
Makes for alot of interesting reading.
Anyway, just wanted to share.
Thanks for listning to the babble,......back to carving slave!!!!

33rd Great Grandson of Kenneth MacAlpin here.
*No Longer Active*

#8 Kilted Carver

Kilted Carver

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

Welcome Cousins!!

#9 Jaap Verduijn

Jaap Verduijn

Recently Enlightened

• Forum User
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:03 AM

Greetings all!

I am new to this forum, especially looking forward to reading the section about various kilt makers and vendors, and of course the MacAlpin thread/messages.

I noticed a list of Clans/Societies, with the admonition to post if you are part of a "kilted group" not yet mentioned, so it can be added to the list. Well then, here it comes: Clann Cináeda meic Ailpín, with a rather revolutionary approach to the situation where an English crown official, the Lord Lyon, decides whether something is a Clan or not a Clan.

As a descendant (like many here) of Kenneth MacAlpin via quite a lot of lines, I think that it's up to us to decide whether the MacAlpins were, are and will be a true Clan! I'd like to see the above website being added to "the list", in order to ease that decision making.

And now I'm gonna browse this forum and enjoy myself!

Be well!

Jaap Verduijn.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 tartanraven

tartanraven

Kilt Student

• Brother for Life
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

Greetings all!

I am new to this forum, especially looking forward to reading the section about various kilt makers and vendors, and of course the MacAlpin thread/messages.

I noticed a list of Clans/Societies, with the admonition to post if you are part of a "kilted group" not yet mentioned, so it can be added to the list. Well then, here it comes: Clann Cináeda meic Ailpín, with a rather revolutionary approach to the situation where an English crown official, the Lord Lyon, decides whether something is a Clan or not a Clan.

As a descendant (like many here) of Kenneth MacAlpin via quite a lot of lines, I think that it's up to us to decide whether the MacAlpins were, are and will be a true Clan! I'd like to see the above website being added to "the list", in order to ease that decision making.

And now I'm gonna browse this forum and enjoy myself!

Be well!

Jaap Verduijn.

Clan MacAlpine is in fact a Clan. There are instances where it may not be listed due to the fact that it currently does not have a Chief. The Clan currently is in the process having a chief, but right now the leader is still a "Captain" The process is quite long, in some instances taking upwards of 10 years. The establishment of a Clan is at the will of the people of whom the Clan represents, it's official nature is at the whim of the Lyon Court,
*No Longer Active*

#11 Kilted Carver

Kilted Carver

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:33 AM

Very informative stuff, thanks both of you. I am still tracing back the roots and as usual, I have hit another wall, but hopefully it will give way and I will keep trekking, Thanks for the added info though.

#12 Jaap Verduijn

Jaap Verduijn

Recently Enlightened

• Forum User
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:21 AM

Clan MacAlpine is in fact a Clan. There are instances where it may not be listed due to the fact that it currently does not have a Chief. The Clan currently is in the process having a chief, but right now the leader is still a "Captain" The process is quite long, in some instances taking upwards of 10 years. The establishment of a Clan is at the will of the people of whom the Clan represents, it's official nature is at the whim of the Lyon Court,

Absolutely, and unfortunately! I don't particularly care about the Lord Lyon and his "authority" (wicked grin!), but sadly I don't have much trust either in the Clan organization you mention, to wit the "Worldwide Organization of MacAlpines AKA the Clan MacAlpine Society". They've been at it for ten years now and can't even manage to update their website more often than once a year, nor do they (in my experience) react to emails. In a little blog post What about the "Clan MacAlpine Society" I explain a bit more about why I'd rather "do it myself" than leave it to them.

A totally different subject: I'm enjoying this forum very much!

Be well!

Jaap Verduijn.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 tartanraven

tartanraven

Kilt Student

• Brother for Life
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:14 AM

Absolutely, and unfortunately! I don't particularly care about the Lord Lyon and his "authority" (wicked grin!), but sadly I don't have much trust either in the Clan organization you mention, to wit the "Worldwide Organization of MacAlpines AKA the Clan MacAlpine Society". They've been at it for ten years now and can't even manage to update their website more often than once a year, nor do they (in my experience) react to emails. In a little blog post What about the "Clan MacAlpine Society" I explain a bit more about why I'd rather "do it myself" than leave it to them.

A totally different subject: I'm enjoying this forum very much!

Be well!

Jaap Verduijn.

I find your response and attitude toward the Lyon Court, and especially Lord Lyon King Of Arms to be both immature and disrespectful. Politics aside, the Lyon Court is an important and beloved part of both heraldry and the contemporary Scottish Clan system. I might ask that you remove the offensive signature picture depicting the Lord from your posts, or trust that I will make every effort to have this addressed in whatever appropriate manner.
In the meantime, grow up, you are acting like a tit.
*No Longer Active*

#14 Jaap Verduijn

Jaap Verduijn

Recently Enlightened

• Forum User
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:08 AM

(...) trust that I will make every effort to have this addressed in whatever appropriate manner (...)

You're welcome, son. I'm spellbound.

Be well!

Jaap Verduijn.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Jaap Verduijn

Jaap Verduijn

Recently Enlightened

• Forum User
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:55 AM

Most Scots don’t live in Scotland anymore… so why follow Scottish law?

Of all people who consider themselves “Scots” or “Scottish”, only about 15% live in Scotland. Of these 15% relatively few are interested in their Clans – as most Clan outings in Scotland and your average Clan Society membership clearly show: an overwhelming majority of “world Scots” and very, very few “home Scots”. There are even many Clans that have no real organization at all in Scotland, but thriving Clan communities overseas!

Due to Scottish migrations all over the world, fast modern means of travel and the increasing use of electronic media for instant communication, the “21st century Clan” has developed far beyond the imagination of our ancestors, indeed far beyond the reach of what was considered, and/or behaved as, “authority” in their days.

Here I’m mainly referring to the Court of the Lord Lyon and to Scottish legislation: Clans need to be “recognized” by the Lord Lyon in Scotland in order to exist, The Lord Lyon decides who can be Chief and who not, the Lord Lyon approves or not approves of the Clan crest, the Lord Lyon this and the Lord Lyon that… as if an American from Springfield Illinois, an Australian from Mildura Vic. or a Dutchman from the town of Ede would care about a Crown minister in the United Kingdom! We all know the statement “No taxation without representation”. Well now, 85% of all people who consider themselves Scots are not represented in the Scottish government… yet that same government “taxes” us by telling us what we can, or can’t, do within our own Clans!

No, I am not proposing we go test the cutting edges of our dirks, claymores and sgian dubhs on poor David Sellar, the present Lord Lyon (wide grin)! In fact I’d vote for letting him peacefully retain his position as archivist of, and expert on, all things pertaining to Clans. But as a Dutchman of Scots descent, a twig on the old tree of Kenneth MacAlpin, and a representative of those 85% of us who do not live in Scotland and are not subject to its laws, I refuse to let young Dave Sellar decide whether our Clan is a Clan. If we say it is, it is. And that’s exactly what we say!

In a tellingly exaggerated form, the above situation is reflected among the visitors of my Clann Cináeda meic Ailpín website: less than 2% come from Scotland, more than 98% come from “the world”! The United States of America are top – over 60% of our visitors are from the US.

Times writer Gillian Bowditch was deeply moved at the 2009 Gathering of the Clans in Edinburgh by the genuine love the Scottish diaspora displayed for a country and a heritage that most of them had never visited before. “The clans,” she wrote, “have survived the Jacobite rebellion, the Act of Union, two world wars, membership of the European Union, the breakdown of the nuclear family and the increasing homogeneity of a global society. We have the diaspora to thank for keeping part of Scotland’s history alive through a time when Scots went cold on their heritage.

Yours aye,
Jaap Verduijn.
Posted ImagePosted Image

The "Brotherhood of the Kilt" logo is a registered trademark of SimpleSage, LLC, and may not be used without express written permission.
This website and all its contents © 2005-2012 SimpleSage, LLC and/or the original poster unless otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved.