Sign in to follow this  
Warlock

APOCO-KILT PROTOTYPE!

Just hold down the trigger on one of those for 0.42 of a second and you'll get your 21 rounds.

FUTURE MODIFICATIONS

I know we are our worst critics (especially since I made the thing and know EVERY problem spot) but here's what I have planned for future versions

Snaps:

I've since modified the snap design. On this one the portion on the pockets rattle when not engaged. An obvious oversight on my part. (My bad) The next ones will have been reversed to eliminate the rattle. Another added feature in future versions will have a small leash hanging from the bottom of the cargo pocket that will tuck under the pocket and attach to a snap hidden by the pocket. The leash snap will have a stud on each side to be reversible and will keep the pocket from flipping over or "flapping". I'll be using a sytem made by YKK (Based right here in Lawrenceburg, so I showed up in uniform and got some freebies! [God, I'm cheap!])

Webbing:

I didn't have any Foliage green webbing so I used the ripstop folded over to a 4 layer thickness for the MOLLE portions. The straps on the pockets and keepers are only 3 layers thick since they take less stress. On the Multicam one for Crisis 12, I'll use Mil-Spec webbing in black covered by a layer of ripstop (This is only because our supplier, DIYTactical.com, is out of the proper color webbing. The one I'm making for myself is made out of black 100% cotton canvas and will have Mil-Spec webbing with two rows of MOLLE (spaced every 1 1/2") over a 2" webbing that will allow for wider attachment systems (up to 3"). I'll add this feature to the Multicam one as well.

Raw edges:

I don't have a serger so I just zig zagged the hell out of any raw edge (3X). I don't like showing raw edges even after being serged so I tried to do as much folded edges as possible ( considering ALL of this was done with only 3 yds of double wide fabric that wasn't allways possible. I also couldn't screw up and just start over. I had about 32 square inches worth of total fabric left over when I was done.)

Does your sewing machine have an overcasting stitch?

If no, and you are a canny with a sewing machine, what you can do is place a sheet of paper along your raw edge, under, and adjust your needle width on a standard zigzag stitch to land 1mm off the edge of your fabric and on to the paper. Your zigzag should be about 3 to 4 mm wide, with the last mm just barely falling off the edge.

Sew down. With a good machine, the bobbin thread will knot with the outer edge stitching through the paper. When done, pull the paper off, and you will have an overcasted edge stitch.

Looks great!

I always use the men's room, the line is shorter.

me tooo!! I just yell " Female on Deck" and everyone either doesn't care or is too shocked to do anything about it. LOL

I've got two to finish before I think too much about it but I have considered the time needed to make them (the pockets take as much time as the kilt itself) and was thinking one every two weeks wouldn't be that big of a constraint of my time.

OFCJAX,

Man that is awesome!!! I am looking for my first and this just made the short list of possibilities (if you decide to make this a habit). What would it take for a "Corpsman of Marines" to get on the list for one of those?? No hurry here as I am still saving up for the high quality garment the decides to become my first. Oh, what about a real fabric pattern, like Desert MARPAT (Just kidding I was a dog face before becoming a Devil Doc).

Is the webbing pattern you are describing the newer S.T.R.I.K.E/M.O.L.L.E compatible system? That would be cool because I know a lot of us that have been in the big sand box will have a few items to accessorize with! I mean wouldn't a dump pouch w/ iron on EGA look great as a Sporran???

Again....AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Gumby

:violent-smiley-089:

PS Kudos to the person that made this emoticon.

More pics!

I know this looks high in the back, but I honestly think that is from the angle my son is shooting the pics from...

Warlock,

Remember that a tucked in blouse is only authorized during Airborne/Air Assault op's (or anytime the pucker factor is greater than 0.1).

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Notice the flashes? There's a hidden pocket up at the top of one set that is big enough for a challenge coin or a couple of bucks, lighter, spare key, etc

OFCJAX,

Man that is awesome!!! I am looking for my first and this just made the short list of possibilities (if you decide to make this a habit). What would it take for a "Corpsman of Marines" to get on the list for one of those?? No hurry here as I am still saving up for the high quality garment the decides to become my first. Oh, what about a real fabric pattern, like Desert MARPAT (Just kidding I was a dog face before becoming a Devil Doc).

Is the webbing pattern you are describing the newer S.T.R.I.K.E/M.O.L.L.E compatible system? That would be cool because I know a lot of us that have been in the big sand box will have a few items to accessorize with! I mean wouldn't a dump pouch w/ iron on EGA look great as a Sporran???

Again....AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Gumby

:violent-smiley-089:

PS Kudos to the person that made this emoticon.

IF I make some more, pretty likely just have a little too much on my plate right now (3 kilts[multicam, black, denim] and a combat shirt for a Zombie Squader with only my moms Kenmore mini-ultra up and running), I'd be happy to put you at the top of the list.

Since I actually made this one for Warlock because I was bored, price wasn't an issue. He sent me the fabric and velcro and some "goodies" that ended up not getting used. It takes at a bare minimum 3 yards of fabric to make the whole shebang. Molle webbing/PALS/S.T.R.I.K.E are all compatible and can either be made from the fabric or Mil-Spec webbing (prefered as it is stronger and takes a lot less time/effort). Snaps are fairly cheap too as is the thread (I'd prefer bonded #69 thread but my industrial machine is out of the picture till I can get a sweet a$$ replacement). The cost comes in on labor. I figure it took over 14 hours to build this one from materials to finished product. Granted, the more I do, the better I'll get and take less time to do it.

I have made a desert MARPAT Kilt before (Birddog's seen here) but that was a XKilt type.

You show an immense amount of skill and talent here, so keep at it.

And the zigzag trick I learned from my text books. Just be sure to use thick paper. The thread has to catch and knot for it to work.

:salute:

Notice the flashes? There's a hidden pocket up at the top of one set that is big enough for a challenge coin or a couple of bucks, lighter, spare key, etc

IF I make some more, pretty likely just have a little too much on my plate right now (3 kilts[multicam, black, denim] and a combat shirt for a Zombie Squader with only my moms Kenmore mini-ultra up and running), I'd be happy to put you at the top of the list.

Since I actually made this one for Warlock because I was bored, price wasn't an issue. He sent me the fabric and velcro and some "goodies" that ended up not getting used. It takes at a bare minimum 3 yards of fabric to make the whole shebang. Molle webbing/PALS/S.T.R.I.K.E are all compatible and can either be made from the fabric or Mil-Spec webbing (prefered as it is stronger and takes a lot less time/effort). Snaps are fairly cheap too as is the thread (I'd prefer bonded #69 thread but my industrial machine is out of the picture till I can get a sweet a$$ replacement). The cost comes in on labor. I figure it took over 14 hours to build this one from materials to finished product. Granted, the more I do, the better I'll get and take less time to do it.

I have made a desert MARPAT Kilt before (Birddog's seen here) but that was a XKilt type.

No I didn't notice the secret squirrel compartment in the flashes. Very nice!! I will start collecting materials, ideas, and booty to barter with (I have some light weight level IV trauma plates that I don't need anymore). :machinegunsmiley:

What do you think about the USMC Gabardine Greens material? With one of Birddog's kilt pins and an NCO Duty Belt Would it be too lite to make a decent Kilt?

Like I said I am not in a hurry and when you do the Combat Shirt I would be interested in getting a gander ( if the Zombie Squader doesn't object, I am not a Zombie and won't give up his secrets when they come).

I am just :yes: with envy over yous guyses skills with deez machines. I did Ghillie suits and other mods by hand. What took you about 14 hours....well I don't wanna even think of how long that would take.

The machine is helpful, but a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

And anybody can learn that, given some time and effort.

That said, you can have the best machine money can buy and if you don't know what you are doing the machine is as useless as tits on a hog.

If we could get together for a weekend, I could show you how to put a machine through its paces and a few basics.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. It is on my list of things to learn in the near future and I am sure you know how that works.

No I didn't notice the secret squirrel compartment in the flashes. Very nice!! I will start collecting materials, ideas, and booty to barter with (I have some light weight level IV trauma plates that I don't need anymore). :machinegunsmiley:

DROOL!

What do you think about the USMC Gabardine Greens material? With one of Birddog's kilt pins and an NCO Duty Belt Would it be too lite to make a decent Kilt?

It would be interesting, I'll give you that. Sounds like a service version of the Pipe band version of the Blues Kilt Although to be honest that sounds like it should be done 100% by Barbs book to do it justice.

Like I said I am not in a hurry and when you do the Combat Shirt I would be interested in getting a gander ( if the Zombie Squader doesn't object, I am not a Zombie and won't give up his secrets when they come).

I am just :yes: with envy over yous guyses skills with deez machines. I did Ghillie suits and other mods by hand. What took you about 14 hours....well I don't wanna even think of how long that would take.

One of these days we'll have to make a video version of the Xkilt or reverse Kingusie Kilt so that ANYONE can do it.

More pics!

IMG_1588.jpg

Warlock,

Looks great and thank God your a Marine. I hate when you see the American Flag on clothing going the wrong way.

The Guards at work every day I look at their shirts and shake my head, some people have no idea.

John

Warlock,

Looks great and thank God your a Marine. I hate when you see the American Flag on clothing going the wrong way.

The Guards at work every day I look at their shirts and shake my head, some people have no idea.

John

I am not a MARINE. I wish I were. I wanted very much to join the Corp when I was a young Man, Even had "Top" Odom take me to the induction center to try a little negotiation with the Doc. I had severe ulcers as a child, and in the '80's it was very difficult to get into ANY Branch of the Armed Forces. Especially the Marines! They found out about the ulcers and it was a NO GO! I have always loved the CORPS, and always will. Believe me, I would have cut my package off with a rusty butterknife to get in. Now, I am in the STATE GUARD, Military Department of Tennessee, U S ARMY. And a lowly Corporal. Thank you for the compliment! I LOVE THE MARINE CORPS! Thank You for YOUR Service in the CORPS. I am Envious!

a combat shirt for a Zombie Squader

My wife and I are part of the zombie squad too! In fact, it is how we met. Do we know each other?

I go by the same handle there as well. Are you going to be at the October get together in St. Louis?

If I bring the kilt and a combat shirt I made, I may end up doing a "sewing for the zombocolypse" class.

Are you going to be at the October get together in St. Louis?

Fill me in on this, Seems like you'll be in my home town next month...

Fill me in on this, Seems like you'll be in my home town next month...

ZombieSquad

If you can read it, I go by OFCJAX there as well.

As a member of Clan MacCheap (A descendant of the Miser clan) I'll be looking for a place to stay if I get a chance to go. Not sure yet as work is gonna be short handed as we will have 2 of our 11 guys on training deployments at the time. If not I could always go for a Kilt night in a strange city.

I was willing to pay $300.00 to have my kilt made by the lady here last year, before she flaked out on me AGAIN! If I was still employed at that job, making that kind of money, I would DEFINITELY have shot you a check for $300.00. After seeing the kilt, and seeing my wifes reaction to it, I can guarantee it would have been worth it!

I may have taken this the wrong way, but the flag on his kilt pocket is facing the right way, Stars should always be on the attack, or forward, never the fall-back ( never say RETREAT ).

The flashes really add to it, Great job again!!

Warlock,

John

I may have taken this the wrong way, but the flag on his kilt pocket is facing the right way, Stars should always be on the attack, or forward, never the fall-back ( never say RETREAT ).

The flashes really add to it, Great job again!!

It is also a matter of perspective. If I were holing Old Glory on a staff,and you were looking at my right side You would see that side of the Flag. Now if I was to wear a flag on the left pocket, You would see the "Correct" Face of the flag. As Kilted Carver said Star are ALWAYS forward! That is the reason that our State flag patch is reversed on our right sleve. It seem that only Military Personnell seem to know or even care about the Flag anymore.