Sign in to follow this  
OFCJAX

Ordering Info

First off

:wavey:

I am a one man operation so bare with me. Right now, I'm using a 3/4 size sewing machine to make these. I plan on upgrading and therefore saving time and energy and therefor, your price. I'm not trying to get rich, just had some ideas I though folks here would like and thought I'd make it.

"The Sweat Shop" in my house is coming along nicely. I built a 3'x8' cutting table and a matching 1'x8' shelf as well as some bin organizers and just revised the set up today to allow me to work faster. Future upgrades will mostly be in the equipment and organizational area.

On to the kilts.

The Apoco-Kilt was my idea of a modern kilt with larger capacity cargo pockets (8"x8"x1") that could be reversed when needed. The two sides are a BDU side and an EMT side. The BDU side is simply a 3 panel belows pocket. The EMT side has places for tools such as Shears, hemostats, pen lights, and has 4 attachment points for adding carabiners to hold tape (be it medical, duct, electrical, sport, what have you) which 2 are visable and usable even when the BDU style is showing. The interior of the pocket has a panel of loop on the back of the EMT side for attaching organizer made from hook backed webbing and elastic loop like the 5.11 brand uses, Like 5.11 it also allows the addition of a holster if needed. I made it juuuuuust big enough for a Beretta 92F (M9) to fit with the flap closed. A smaller back up gun (BUG) will fit nicely. A recent addition is the use of a small leash to the bottom of the cargo pockets that flips under to connect to the kilt that prevents the entire pocket from "Flapping" around when walking. The leash allows for the reversibility to still be utilized w/o showing a snap on both sides of the pocket. I have also places the studs on the pocket and the snaps on the flap. This way the snaps that aren't being used (the side's that are showing) will not rattle.

It has the reverse Kingussie pleats (look it up) as well as an under apron pocket and cargo flashes with what I call "Crisis pockets" in honor of the man who came up with the idea. Our own Crisis 12! (Take a bow, and thank you for your service to this great nation of ours!)

The name just kinda came up as it was being developed as a kilt you would want to be wearing when the Apocalypse hits. (or zombies attack[man I hate zombies])

All that said...........;

My intention here is NOT to stock these things in certain available patterns and colors. My intention with this venture is to provide more of a service (As the name implies). I will try my best to make you happy with what you receive. Have an idea? Let's hear it. Think up an improvement? I'll try it out. I'd like to think of myself as the "White Sands" or "Aberdeen Proving Grounds" of modern kilt making. I'll be more than happy to make you one just like Warlocks if that's what you want. In fact that's what I've had the most requests for (give or take the pattern to be used).

If so, here's a list of what is needed for the Apoco-Kilt. (If you get it all and send it to me I only charge for the labor, saves you some green! That and I only keep hardware in stock)

Fabric: BARE MINIMUM of 3 yds. That's cutting it dangerously close. When I finished Warlocks w/ 3 yds I had about 36 square INCHES worth of unused material. I'd prefer 4 or 5 depending on particulars. Pattern, color and make up are your choice. Ask me and I'll see if I can work with it.

Velcro: About 2 yds of 2" color matched hook AND loop and 1 yd of 4" loop

Snaps: at least 12 sets (4 parts per snap) UPDATE:Don't worry about snaps now, I got a bunch at a good deal.

Thread: If I don't have it already I'll need a spool of the best matching color I can get. To be especially tough, I'd like to use nylon thread in a Tex 45 size. I can order enough for you if need be for an additional cost.

Webbing: OPTIONAL. I can use fabric like I did on Warlocks but it saves me time (and therefor you money) to use webbing. If you don't want any MOLLE or keepers, I'll just stick on standard belt loops or we can come up with something. If you do. 1 yd of 2" and 3-4 yds of 1" webbing.

It takes me roughly 14 hours to go from raw material to finished product w/ all the bells and whistles. For that reason I can only do a certain amount at a time. I'm sure if you think about it you'd prefer it that way (Jonesing aside) Turn around should be NO MORE than 2 weeks unless something comes up. If so, I WILL notify you. I don't mind answering "How's it going" emails either. We're talking about $200 for labor right now. The better I get at production and the better/faster my equipment gets, the lower the time involved and thus, price will be as well.

Anything else we can work on it. Again the emphasis here is on "Custom" not "Kilts." I always hear folks say, "Man I wish they made that in ####" or "Wouldn't it be cool if...." That's where I can help (hopefully). Just email or PM me and we can start the brainstorming process.

200 for labour...

I need to raise my prices! :lol:

You have a good plan going!

What kind of sewing machine are you getting?

Sounds like you've got a good thing going!

Now if I can just find me a buxom redheaded assistant who's daddy is rich, I'll be all set!

(Let me be clear: FEMALE assistant)

200 for labour...

You have a good plan going!

What kind of sewing machine are you getting?

That drops to almost 1/2 w/o the pockets. They take as much time as the kilt itself in making.

To be honest the machine I'm using (a Kenmore Mini-Ultra of all things) works fine. It's just a little slower than most (I prefer that so I don't screw up as much) but I need to modify the presser foot so I can change feet and use one with a guage so I can use one foot to do the edge, 1/4" topstitch and in the ditch (waistband). That alone will only cost me like $15 total but it will save me time from having to guide everything by hand and watch it closely. I also plan on trying it with a larger stitch distance.

As for the machine I want to get, an LSZ 1 from Sailrite would allow me to do both my tactical gear requests as well as the custom kilts. Plus it's portable so I could go to fairs and whatnot.

200 for labour...

Dread, you have ALWAYS undervalued your labor and creativity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That drops to almost 1/2 w/o the pockets. They take as much time as the kilt itself in making.

To be honest the machine I'm using (a Kenmore Mini-Ultra of all things) works fine. It's just a little slower than most (I prefer that so I don't screw up as much) but I need to modify the presser foot so I can change feet and use one with a guage so I can use one foot to do the edge, 1/4" topstitch and in the ditch (waistband). That alone will only cost me like $15 total but it will save me time from having to guide everything by hand and watch it closely. I also plan on trying it with a larger stitch distance.

As for the machine I want to get, an LSZ 1 from Sailrite would allow me to do both my tactical gear requests as well as the custom kilts. Plus it's portable so I could go to fairs and whatnot.

If you can, invest in an edger foot. It is invaluable for sewing. I don't know what kind of feet are available for the Sailrite.

http://www.babylock.com/accessories/?Product_ID=ESG-EJF I own this foot, it sees a lot of action. The only drawback is, if you work on a loose weave, it snags the bejeebus out of your fabric. I use it for most of my kilt construction. And don't buy a cheap one. Splurge and spend 40 or 60 dollars on the good ones. The spring mounted guide will save you from a lot of headaches.

The Sailrite looks nice, but I am concerned about the lack of a few key features... Needle up/down is pretty important... The machine stopping with the needle down in the fabric is invaluable for re-aligning your fabric for tapers and such. Any way you can get this feature?

It is a really nice industrial machine though.

I need one of these

foot holder

and this foot does that and can be pushed out to the side to allow me to do the edge and a 1/4" topstich (I like this because it gives the look of a flat felled seam)

hemmer foot

Just an update on the website. I just purchased the rights to www.needlepimp.com from GoDaddy. I'll start working on it hopefully this weekend.

Hi

I am Spc Hamilton right now I am stationed in Kuwait running missions up into Iraq. I am looking for a kilt and I noticed your Page. I was wondering if I could possibly have you make a kilt with ACU pattern one side and Marine corps pattern the other side. This is due to I am in the Army now but will be going into the Marines right after this deployment. I would like to hear back from you

Spc Hamilton J T

@OFCJAX

I am in need of one of your amazing kilts. DCU please, fully loaded. Do you have a build time? Just let me know, and your PayPal info.