OFCJAX

Wild A$$ Idea thread.

78 posts in this topic

Let's hear them folks.

Got an idea you'd like to see in a modern kilt? Be it a silly print fabric or a new pleating style, pockets with certain features, Themed kilts.

So far I was thinking a Kilt that looks like turnout gear with a reflective stripe around the bottom or an Blue version for EMTs.

Ladies. The way mine are made, I could simply switch the apron and under apron for a left hand opening (I could also increase or decrease (Grrrrrrrrr) the length. I also was inspired at the Celtic fair held at a Ren fair site to put a fake section of corset looking lace up either the back, apron or sides.

Kiddies. I have a compact version of the cargo pockets in mind. Halloween is fast approaching!

Anybody got anything ?

did you see the Red Hot Chili Pepper's video for "Give it Away"? A kilt like Flea's muppet head p@nt$ would rule...although it would look nothing like a kilt.

Not really what I had in mind but how about a line of these?

2490669240102627370S600x600Q85.jpg

That'll creep the kiddies right out!

put a fake section of corset looking lace up either the back, apron or sides.

Ooooh, oooh, a black mini-kilt with red ribbon laced up both sides! On the right lady... Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Dang, gotta change my work shirt from the drool now!

OK, try this on for size. I am thinking a small pocket on the inside of a pleat on the wearer's strong hand side, just big enough for a folding kife. One with a clip. The pleat would cover it, but it would be quickly accessible.

OK, try this on for size. I am thinking a small pocket on the inside of a pleat on the wearer's strong hand side, just big enough for a folding kife. One with a clip. The pleat would cover it, but it would be quickly accessible.

Now Fairbanks, That is a hell of an idea...... :yes:

here is one you can use on all your kilts...put a hidden flask pocket in the kick-pleat.

Nice idea for the knife pocket.

As for the muppet hair kilt... When at JoAnn fabrics I laughed and was tempted to grab several yards of the fake 'gorilla' hair type of fabric to send to Dread to have him make a kilt out of it. Crazy idea I know, but for the unique factor and craziness it just looked like it would be an awesome idea :P

There is (was?) a kilt maker that put a couple of buttonholes inside of the knife pleat depth for things like ball point pens, clip on knives, etc. I can't remember who they were. It has been a few years, I remember seeing a pic on XMarks though.

The kilts never took off though. Made out of thin cheap cotton flannel. He dropped off the radar one day, never to be heard from again.

Nice idea for the knife pocket.

As for the muppet hair kilt... When at JoAnn fabrics I laughed and was tempted to grab several yards of the fake 'gorilla' hair type of fabric to send to Dread to have him make a kilt out of it. Crazy idea I know, but for the unique factor and craziness it just looked like it would be an awesome idea :P

Neat idea, but the hairs would be sucked into the sewing machine.

I wouldn't touch it unless I had a full blown industrial.

here is one you can use on all your kilts...put a hidden flask pocket in the kick-pleat.

Forget the Flask!!! Make it hold a 1L bottle of Single Malt.

I can hear it now...

Is that a bottle of single malt in your kilt, or are you just glad to see me?

Forget the Flask!!! Make it hold a 1L bottle of Single Malt.

I can hear it now...

Is that a bottle of single malt in your kilt, or are you just glad to see me?

Beer gut cut or keg gut cut?

Cask gut cut!

Ladies. The way mine are made, I could simply switch the apron and under apron for a left hand opening (I could also increase or decrease (Grrrrrrrrr) the length. I also was inspired at the Celtic fair held at a Ren fair site to put a fake section of corset looking lace up either the back, apron or sides.

Me likie!

I will think on this a bit.

I would like a kilt that makes me look 25 again. I'd settle for 35.

OK, try this on for size. I am thinking a small pocket on the inside of a pleat on the wearer's strong hand side, just big enough for a folding knife. One with a clip. The pleat would cover it, but it would be quickly accessible.

An easier idea and one you can retrofit into any kilt is to take a bit of color matched grosgrain ribbon, attach both ends and use a knife with a clip. I may add that to the black one I made as it will only take maybe 30 seconds of work for each side. (I like dual options) If you get a wide enough ribbon and a small enough knife you could sew down three edges to the kilt, roll the top edge and mount it vertically. That would conceal it better.

I like it! I'll call it the "Alaska clip"!

That's what the under apron pocket is for! You can still get to it even with a belt on.....I tried!

I was also thinking instead of just lace or ribbon on the ladies versions, I could use leather and metal buckles. I've been looking at a lot of goth Victorian and raver clothes lately.

Something like this

101Lb.jpg

Imagine that on the fell of a ladies version. I'm really liking this idea because it's such a simple addition. All I have to do is add a couple pieces of leather/vinyl/lace with either a row of eyelets or a piece with the staps on it to the middle section where the pleats meet. Then the lady can switch out the ribbon for different colors or textures. Might even try contrasting colors of the buckle straps using Chicago screws to stand out even more.

Here's a few ideas I've had...

1) Removeable/interchangeable apron. One for everyday wear, one kept nice and neat for other functions. Maybe a zipper or buttoned on?

2) MOLLE or PALS webbing attachment on the sides. Then one could attach any pouch they want.

3) In line with the above, a "tactical kilt" with a bunch of tactical ideas I have in the design.

4) A Hammockilt. A kilt that converts to a hammock! Don't ask me how it'd be done....yet.

5) A kilt with a tuckable jacket. Kinda like a sweater tied around the waist, but goes with the kilt and can be removed and worn, or left in place in cool weather.

I have some other stupid ideas, but will have to find the time to get more of them written down.

T.

Decent ideas there TB, Neokilts already offers an over apron that you can purchase with your kilts from them. It is modeled after the old military kilts that had them for protection there as well. The Apoco-kilt that OFCJAX has made has MOLLE webbing, or can have it on there, and from what I remember seeing he's already working on other tactical additions that are possible :)

Keep up the great ideas, they are good to read :)

1) Removeable/interchangeable apron. One for everyday wear, one kept nice and neat for other functions. Maybe a zipper or buttoned on?

Simple enough in theory but you get into a problem when you get to the waistband

2) MOLLE or PALS webbing attachment on the sides. Then one could attach any pouch they want.

Done already but on a belt. Weight becomes an issue on the sides.

3) In line with the above, a "tactical kilt" with a bunch of tactical ideas I have in the design.

love to hear them

4) A Hammockilt. A kilt that converts to a hammock! Don't ask me how it'd be done....yet.

OK, but what would you be wearing while in the hammock? :pale:

5) A kilt with a tuckable jacket. Kinda like a sweater tied around the waist, but goes with the kilt and can be removed and worn, or left in place in cool weather.

I see what you mean but I had kind of a similar idea for a tuckable bib for blacksmiths, machinists, etc. It just fold down between the two aprons when not in use. In fact....I think I know the perfect test subject for this feature!

I have some other stupid ideas, but will have to find the time to get more of them written down.

T.

Reinforced slits behind some pleats so I can run the straps from my drop holster.....

Reinforced slits behind some pleats so I can run the straps from my drop holster.....

I can do that. The problem lies in knowing the exact placement of where those would have to be placed. An idea I had was to do a strip along the leg with a series of grommets in the pattern that Safariland holsters use so you could mount it where you like and use the leg should and straps on the interior of the kilt. The strip with the grommets would be hidden by the cargo pocket when not in use.

Would that work?

I can do that. The problem lies in knowing the exact placement of where those would have to be placed. An idea I had was to do a strip along the leg with a series of grommets in the pattern that Safariland holsters use so you could mount it where you like and use the leg should and straps on the interior of the kilt. The strip with the grommets would be hidden by the cargo pocket when not in use.

Would that work?

not familiar with safariland's holsters

Never mind then. What brand of holster are you using then?

Simple enough in theory but you get into a problem when you get to the waistband

I thought as much, but I think a zipper or row of buttons then a strap and buckle attaching it at the top, very similar to a traditional closure, would work. Zip it up then feed the strap through the buckle and done. Even a fastex style buckle would work.

Done already but on a belt. Weight becomes an issue on the sides.

love to hear them

OK, but what would you be wearing while in the hammock?

Why, a suntan, of course! Really though, I thought about this for the hikers/backpackers out there. For the ultralight folks, a garment and a sleeping system would rock. Multi-use items are king for the UL crowd.

I see what you mean but I had kind of a similar idea for a tuckable bib for blacksmiths, machinists, etc. It just fold down between the two aprons when not in use. In fact....I think I know the perfect test subject for this feature!

OOooo...You have my attention...

Actually, That's the reason I was thinking about the removable apron. I know about the canvas over-apron. Both styles. I would need something like that in the shop, if I was going to wear a kilt. I think you're on to something here. It would have to be removable for washing, though, or, maybe not, if the whole kilt was washable....?

T.