OFCJAX

Wild A$$ Idea thread.

Reinforced slits behind some pleats so I can run the straps from my drop holster.....

Uh, where would you put the leg straps? Through said slits? That would put them pretty close to the middle of the apron....?

T.

I know this isn't where this thread is going, but I have always wanted a terry cloth kilt. I guess it would have to be a box pleat, and I understand that terry is really hard to sew.

If I get the fabric, would someone want to try this?? (not for free of course!)

I know this isn't where this thread is going, but I have always wanted a terry cloth kilt. I guess it would have to be a box pleat, and I understand that terry is really hard to sew.

If I get the fabric, would someone want to try this?? (not for free of course!)

I would be game to give it a go Jay.

The hop out of the shower into cozy kilt.

The materials I use are pretty washer friendly so I don't see a problem washing the whole thing at all.

As for the slits for a leg strap. You can locate them on the side of the leg but a problem (as Dread will tell you 1st hand) is trying to make one large enough that the buckles will also fit through it as well, yet small enough that they don't cause sag.

I've seen a terry cloth towel kilt before somewhere on XMTS. Guy took 3 towels and joined them and pleated it up to make a bath kilt.

Not for the kilt itself but accessory related. How about some form of adapter that lets you use your favorite p@nt$ belt buckle on a kilt belt? I thought about this last night on the drive home from the gym after showing off the black canvas kilt I made for myself (It RAWKS BTW)

Replace the wire end piece on the belt (that the buckle hooks on to) with a version that is shaped like a pointy "D" or one with a little bit of leather with a hole just big enough for the buckle spur. The other side was a little harder to adapt. I didn't want to have to alter the buckle so something that attaches to it was needed. What I had in mind was essentially shaped like a stretched "C" or a vertical rectangle that attaches to the top and bottom of the buckles swivel. That way it wouldn't stick out or too far away from the end of the belt but widens the swivel to accommodate a larger belt.

Here's an accessory idea as well. Oh, and a personal pet peeve...

How about making an AFFORDABLE wool inverness cape? Starting at around $800 bucks, you'd probably make a killing producing them at a pretty good price at half that.

I'm no tailor, so I really have no idea how much time goes into making one...but....

There's gotta be a market for that. I'd be happy to provide the material, bases on the tailors recommendations, of course.

Stupid idea or what?

T.

Never made one so I couldn't tell you. I think at that price though you are more than likely paying for A LOT of wool material.

Schmart!!

Not for the kilt itself but accessory related. How about some form of adapter that lets you use your favorite p@nt$ belt buckle on a kilt belt? I thought about this last night on the drive home from the gym after showing off the black canvas kilt I made for myself (It RAWKS BTW)

Replace the wire end piece on the belt (that the buckle hooks on to) with a version that is shaped like a pointy "D" or one with a little bit of leather with a hole just big enough for the buckle spur. The other side was a little harder to adapt. I didn't want to have to alter the buckle so something that attaches to it was needed. What I had in mind was essentially shaped like a stretched "C" or a vertical rectangle that attaches to the top and bottom of the buckles swivel. That way it wouldn't stick out or too far away from the end of the belt but widens the swivel to accommodate a larger belt.

Never made one so I couldn't tell you. I think at that price though you are more than likely paying for A LOT of wool material.

Probably. But how much would be needed? 6yds? 10? Even Harris tweed is only $30 a meter. I think with some looking you could find it much cheaper.

T.

There's a guy on XMTS who makes them, I'm sure he could help you out.

Here's an accessory idea as well. Oh, and a personal pet peeve...

How about making an AFFORDABLE wool inverness cape? Starting at around $800 bucks, you'd probably make a killing producing them at a pretty good price at half that.

I'm no tailor, so I really have no idea how much time goes into making one...but....

There's gotta be a market for that. I'd be happy to provide the material, bases on the tailors recommendations, of course.

Stupid idea or what?

T.

http://www.naawan.com/

Try this link. You can get the Officers Great coat in wool very enexspensively. Alot of the Sutlers at reenactments are using this guy. Very good Quality!

How about a tactical inverness cape? (He says in a Dr Evil voice) There's a LOT of space for PALs attachments there JT.... You could maybe attach a laser.....

I have a feeling this will end up with a bagpipe that fires out blow darts like a machine gun by the end of this.

I have a feeling this will end up with a bagpipe that fires out blow darts like a machine gun by the end of this.

:machinegunsmiley::cheers:

OOOOHHH I want one!

Too low tech. Think pipes with a GLTD II for a JDAM strike.......

ok so i saw this crazy ass idea in a dream i had at work....no i wasnt sleeping at work... >.>

anyway, i was thinkin if maybe it would be posible to make the entire apron of the kilt into a sporran....well it wouldnt really be a sporran more like a messenger bag lol but have the apron be a a big bag. i know comfort would probably be a problem if u filled it but hey this is soposed to be wild ass ideas :P

ok so i saw this crazy ass idea in a dream i had at work....no i wasnt sleeping at work... >.>

anyway, i was thinkin if maybe it would be posible to make the entire apron of the kilt into a sporran....well it wouldnt really be a sporran more like a messenger bag lol but have the apron be a a big bag. i know comfort would probably be a problem if u filled it but hey this is soposed to be wild ass ideas :P

Possible, sure. Practical, no way. First off weight would be a huge issue. Think of just on college size book hanging from the apron. Now add the fact that every step you take makes it flap into your legs.

It would be simple enough to add a layer of fabric over the apron or under apron to turn it into a giant pocket, you could even have pouches for pens, pencils, calculators, whatever. but anything larger than that would be a no go.

Although this has given me a wicked idea!

An adapter for the reversible cargo pockets that lets you use one as a womans purse or fanny pack. Just a ring of fabric that engages all the snaps, has an adjustable shoulder/waist strap, and a flap. Here's the scenario. You and your wife/GF/child are out at some event, for whatever reason she needs to barrow some things you carry in that pocket. Just tear off the pocket, put on the adapter and she's off.

**I know this has been done before!**

The gym I work out at in Lexington (MMA) has a big Luau party every year and I was thinking of how I would dress this year. Instead of a Lava lava, I was thinking of making a kilt (full apron with 1" pleats) out of a Hawaiian print fabric.

A Tiki handled Sgian Brew, and a matching kilt pin with a sporran of shark skin or parrot feathers.

UPDATE:

I just ordered 5 yds of this

CA5834-1.jpg

only 45" wide (the pic is dimensionally 36" x 45" for reference) so had to get more than normal as this will have 1" pleats and no visible pockets.

I'll be wearing a black guayabera with a white "wife beater" to match.

9e01_1_sbl.JPG ebay find! Shipped for $7.50

Let's hear them folks.

Got an idea you'd like to see in a modern kilt? Be it a silly print fabric or a new pleating style, pockets with certain features, Themed kilts.

So far I was thinking a Kilt that looks like turnout gear with a reflective stripe around the bottom or an Blue version for EMTs.

Ladies. The way mine are made, I could simply switch the apron and under apron for a left hand opening (I could also increase or decrease (Grrrrrrrrr) the length. I also was inspired at the Celtic fair held at a Ren fair site to put a fake section of corset looking lace up either the back, apron or sides.

Kiddies. I have a compact version of the cargo pockets in mind. Halloween is fast approaching!

Anybody got anything ?

I am a firefighter, I just got some of the PBI material that turnout gear is made from in black. I am currently awaiting delivery of the reflective trim. Once I have both would you be interested in taking the project on?

Edited by pakiltedff

I am a firefighter, I just got some of the PBI material that turnout gear is made from in black. I am currently awaiting delivery of the reflective trim. Once I have both would you be interested in taking the project on?

Sounds like fun! What color reflective material you using? Is it a thick plastic type or iron on type?

How many yds of each and how wide are the materials?

One side will be an EMT pocket and the other like on turnout gear (plain box pocket). I can close the apron like turnout gear with a spring snap.

Any other ideas?

The trim material is 3 inch wide orange white scotchlight triple trim. It is a s sew on material. I have 12 feet of that coming. As for the PBI I have 14' x 5' of the black PBI material and I was hoping this would be enough for 2 kilts

Edited by pakiltedff

The trim material is 3 inch wide orange white scotchlight triple trim. It is a s sew on material. I have 12 feet of that coming. As for the PBI I have 14' x 5' of the black PBI material and I was hoping this would be enough for 2 kilts

Depending on the size of the kilts to be made (2 for you or a bunker buddy?) I'd need about 4 yds EACH of the materials (That would be 12' x 5' [60"] for the PBI and 12 ft of trim). There's a lot of material used in kilts.

As it sounds, you've got enough for one.

Just FYI, I have an outlet for Nomex thread, zippers, etc, ... Mark

Just FYI, I have an outlet for Nomex thread, zippers, etc, ... Mark

I have some OD nomex thread I got for $1 at a surplus store. Black would be nice, but I aint paying $93 for a lb of thread!