Sign in to follow this  
OFCJAX

Jonesing watch

10/27/08

Have 2 ACU kilts being made now. (One for a Xmarker [scotchmaster]and the other for our own csbdr) Since both have are the same except one has MOLLE webbing made from fabric and the other uses Mil-Spec webbing and the sizes (ones an inch longer and the waist/hips are very close) I've decided to make them both at the same time. This will actually speed up the delivery for both as I get in the groove easier this way.

Anyway, on to todays progress: I got all the fabric cut out and hemmed the kilt body panels for both. I know that doesn't sound like a whole lot but gimme a break, I just back back from a mini vacation.

On a side note these will be the first kilts I profit from as well as the first I will make using Nylon thread (T45). I must say though, thus far it is nice to work with. The fabric however does have some minor blemishes (they are factory seconds after all) that should stay well hidden but I am a bit of an eagle eye.

10/28/08

I had to start over again as I noticed the fabric was a bit darker than it should have been and wouldn't match issue ACU gear. I didn't want "bad sh!t" with my name on it out there, so I just started over. No big deal, took about an hour or so.

Edited by OFCJAX

11/09/08

I am finished with two more ACU Apoco-Kilts for a BOTK brother as well a XMarker

The only difference, other than sizes, was that one used cloth MOLLE and one used Mil-Spec foliage green webbing.

I was hoping to have them shipped out already but when I went to the Post Office Saturday, it was closed. The hours sign said they should have been open as did the website.

Oh well, Gubment employees......

I'll get them out to their new owners in the morning and hope for pics later.

11/25/08

Turpins DCU Apoco-Kilt is coming along nicely. I got the MOLLE done, as well as all the other straps and keepers. Just finished sewing down all the pleats and the fell on the panels. I'll put them together tomorrow and get started on the pockets. I ran out of interfacing for the cargo pocket flaps, so come Friday (payday) I'll go get some more. Hopefully those will be the final step.

Sorry for the crappy pics but the batteries are almost dead thus no flash.

2580714490102627370S500x500Q85.jpg

Pocket is just mocked up for the photo but will get added tomorrow as well

2232214950102627370S600x600Q85.jpg

Nice JT. Can't wait to see that one when it's finished...

12/10/08

Turpins DCU Apoco-Kilt is done.

I'll send it out Monday (Payday) but hope these will suffice till then.

Close up of the BDU side of the cargo pocket

2001300860102627370S600x600Q85.jpg

The apron and left hand cargo pocket

2989937840102627370S600x600Q85.jpg

The Under apron and right hand cargo pocket

2025340510102627370S600x600Q85.jpg

The middle. The MOLLE just looks wavy as ithad to curve a bit and with the webbing, needed some prodding.

2735732720102627370S600x600Q85.jpg

You can't see it but I started making the EMT flaps a bit longer as well as the keepers. These will improve the ability to fit larger items (duty belts, bigger shears, etc.)

Lookng great, JT. Monday seems a long way away.

1/28/09

The renamed "Cody-Ak" is done and awaiting shipping. Anne's ladies kilt is designed and will be made as soon as the fabric is here. I can ship them together or individually. (Jonesing sucks)

The modified ACU Apoco-Kilt for an Xmarker is about 2/3rds done. I ran out of material making this one, so the MOLLE will me made from foliage green Mil-Spec webbing. Luckily, I was able to use some scraps to make some of the parts. The lumbar apron is made from black cotton canvas. I think it's more comfortable and won't be seen anyway. Plus it ties in to the others I'm making for the family.

Just send them together. Fewer packages I have to intercept and explain! I'm hoping, if all goes well, to give them for Valentines Day. Here's hoping the fabric doesn't take too long to get to you!

In case anyone's wondering, I'm getting it made in this Chinese styled brocade...

brocade.jpg

with satin lining, and gold frogs (no not kermit, those oriental looking closures you see on clothing) in place of kilt straps.

Can't wait to see it!

1/28/09

The renamed "Cody-Ak" is done and awaiting shipping. Anne's ladies kilt is designed and will be made as soon as the fabric is here. I can ship them together or individually. (Jonesing sucks)

The modified ACU Apoco-Kilt for an Xmarker is about 2/3rds done. I ran out of material making this one, so the MOLLE will me made from foliage green Mil-Spec webbing. Luckily, I was able to use some scraps to make some of the parts. The lumbar apron is made from black cotton canvas. I think it's more comfortable and won't be seen anyway. Plus it ties in to the others I'm making for the family.

wow that sounds awesome.

1/31/09

I just finished the ACU kilt for an Xmarker. This is more of a T + E model for him as he is ordering a total of 6!

Features one sided pockets (that I'll make more like the CodeyAK from here on out) with 8"x8" loop panels on the inside.

I also made 6 keepers and a removable/adjustable hammer loop as well as added a key lanyard in the right hand cargo pocket.

2273680670102627370S600x600Q85.jpg

2100614540102627370S600x600Q85.jpg

Also not seen is the additional loop panels inside the kilt for attaching a fleece liner that runs from the outer edge of the under apron to just beyond the inner edge of the apron (at 4 points). Can be removed when not needed and used as a hi vis panel (it's blaze orange) or neck/head wrap if kept defunkified enough. can also fold up and be stowed in one of the cargo pockets.

a safety orange detachable lining....yea i want that.

i'm gotta start planing my survival kilt.

Funkified next to the head sounds nasty........

I've had ideas about a button out liner for quite some time.

Good to see it in practice. Make it work!

I thought about buttons as well, but, I'm lazy and hate making button holes.

Loop faces the skin, so even when it's not used it'll be comfy. I made sure to used older "recycled" loop for this as it's more broken in. However, the hook on the fleece panel would scratch they wearer if worn removed so I added flaps to cover them that fold out of the way when used on the kilt.

02/07/09 (around 0400)

Well, I just put in a few hours on my first ladies kilt skirt. This one has some Asian influence, as it's an olive brocade and to accent that I'm using frogs as straps. Since they wont actually be stress bearing (hook and loop will do the work) they are more for show. The lining is also a first. To pick up on the wine/burgundy colors on the brocade (the leaves) I chose a like colored satin. Since I also had to deal with the print direction I had to make this one a little bit more conventionally and join two pieces for both the brocade and lining. Then I had to face them inwards on each other, sew down three edges, flip it, iron out the hem, sew it down (using contrasting threads of olive and burgundy). If that seams like a run on sentence, I'm just trying to show how difficult this all was due to how slippery these two fabrics are compared to what I'm used to. That and English be my goodest language.

Anyway, once that was done, I got to sewing down the pleats.

I got the exterior pleats done and will sew down the interior pleats tomorrow. Just thought I'd mock it all up (w/o the taper) and get some pics up of what I got so far.

No flash

2339359750102627370S600x600Q85.jpg

2302280910102627370S600x600Q85.jpg

2986728420102627370S600x600Q85.jpg

With flash. Notice how reflective this thing is. Talk about flash!

2558011480102627370S600x600Q85.jpg

2879532700102627370S600x600Q85.jpg

I will also add a section in the center back that resembles a corset. Croc print leather with silver eyelets that can be laced up with ribbon, lace, cord, etc. It's NOT for sizing, just for show.

Very impressive JT.....I remember you talking about that corset idea when you were here last October. Now when this is done I'll finally get to see it come to life...

I would also like to see a picture of it being modeled

Oh yeah! We'll do a family portrait, with the three of us wearing our pimped out kilts!

Just make sure your wife is standing straight up when you take those pics. This thing is only 2" longer than your sons's. Granted, it rides a bit lower on the hips but this thing is still pretty close to being a mini.

The ladies kilt looks awesome man,

way to go.

Just make sure your wife is standing straight up when you take those pics. This thing is only 2" longer than your sons's. Granted, it rides a bit lower on the hips but this thing is still pretty close to being a mini.

OMG! I'm dyin.