Brotherhood of the Kilt - www.KiltsRock.com Drouillard Knives Needle Pimp NeoKilt

Photo

Inverness cape pattern?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Kilt Apprentice

• Member of the Brotherhood
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:44 PM

Hi all,

I'm pretty bummed out right now. I have searched all over, and made a bunch of phone calls.

I still can;t find what I'm looking for: an Inverness cape/cloak pattern.

I've been reading up on sewing and have a machine and can sew reasonably well, but I need a pattern. I wouldn't think it would have been that difficult.

Can anyone help a brother out?

I've made patterns before, but this is a bit out of my league.

T.

Disclaimer: Author of this message may have used liberal amounts of facetiousness, sarcasm, wit and/or humor, whether intentional or not. Furthermore, any spelling or grammatical errors may be intentional, adding to the uniqueness and wile of the message. If you are unduly susceptible to criticism or insult, please refrain from reading the above message. Do not contact the author regarding any discomfort on the readers' part, because the author just doesn't care.

#2 CactusJack

CactusJack

Haggis Hunter Extraordinaire

• Comhairleoir Mór
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,651 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

Check out this post, It may be what your looking for.

http://www.kiltsrock...s...st&p=122587

CactusJack
cactus.jpg
Lifetime Member of The Seven Rivers Highland Society
http://seven-rivers.org/

Director of Athletics Missouri Tartan Day Festivities 
http://www.motartanday.com/

LogowithBlue1-1.jpghowlingwolfpack.jpgMcBarney-1.jpg

Proud Member of Clan McBarney

Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

#3 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Kilt Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (CactusJack @ Oct 28 2008, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check out this post, It may be what your looking for.

http://www.kiltsrock...s...st&p=122587

Hey, thanks CactusJack.

I saw it earlier, but I didn't think to ask there. I'll post the question there too.

Thunderbolt
Disclaimer: Author of this message may have used liberal amounts of facetiousness, sarcasm, wit and/or humor, whether intentional or not. Furthermore, any spelling or grammatical errors may be intentional, adding to the uniqueness and wile of the message. If you are unduly susceptible to criticism or insult, please refrain from reading the above message. Do not contact the author regarding any discomfort on the readers' part, because the author just doesn't care.

#4 Barley_Bird

Barley_Bird

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

Google Empire Canvas.

Contact them.

Purchase pattern if they still sell.

#5 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Kilt Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (Barley Bird @ Oct 28 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Google Empire Canvas.

Contact them.

Purchase pattern if they still sell.

Ach, tried that. something about "per XMTS tos" or something.

Thanks,

T.

#6 Barley_Bird

Barley_Bird

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

What the feck does Xmarks have to do with a business like Empire Canvas saying what they can't sell?

I guess you have to be an Xmarks member?

Load of bollocks.

OK. Plan two. Seach for Sherlock Holmes patterns. You'll turn up a lot hits. Some are junk. Look long enough and you will find some old patterns for a great coat like Sherlock wears. It is identical to an Inverness cape pattern.

Edited by Barley Bird, 28 October 2008 - 09:29 PM.

#7 Barley_Bird

Barley_Bird

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:25 PM

Actually, I had it in my browser history.

http://www.harriets.com/victmens.htm

Here you go. Inverness pattern.

I am glad I could be of service where others failed.

Let me know if you need any further help. I am not bound by any silly agreements, and I am here to serve.

Edited by Barley Bird, 28 October 2008 - 09:28 PM.

• Joe I likes this

#8 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Kilt Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Barley Bird @ Oct 28 2008, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What the feck does Xmarks have to do with a business like Empire Canvas saying what they can't sell?

Brother, I agree.

But I can't argue. Does no good.

T.

#9 Barley_Bird

Barley_Bird

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:31 PM

Well, is the pattern link I posted going to work for ya?

#10 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Kilt Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (Barley Bird @ Oct 28 2008, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I had it in my browser history.

http://www.harriets.com/victmens.htm

Here you go. Inverness pattern.

I am glad I could be of service where others failed.

Let me know if you need any further help. I am not bound by any silly agreements, and I am here to serve.

You rock Bro!

All I should have to do is leave off the sleeves.

I can do that.

Thanks!

Oh, wait, the cape and sleeves seem to be one piece. Would that be a terrible problem? I think maybe I could modify it. What do you think?

T.

EDIT: On second look, I seems like the cape is removed from the back view, on the right. It wouldn't make sense that the cape be part of the sleeves...No?

Edited by Thunderbolt, 28 October 2008 - 09:36 PM.

#11 Barley_Bird

Barley_Bird

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

If you don't want sleeves, don't sew them on.

#12 Barley_Bird

Barley_Bird

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

http://rarelythere.b.../inverness.html

Butterick 3993 pattern

If you google the pattern number and title, you should get some hits.

#13 Barley_Bird

Barley_Bird

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

http://www.butterick....item.B3993.x=1

Could be modified and changed.

#14 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Kilt Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (Barley Bird @ Oct 28 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://rarelythere.b.../inverness.html

Butterick 3993 pattern

If you google the pattern number and title, you should get some hits.

I found that one. The problem is that it's out of print and the only one I can find are XSM or Small. I need large.

T.

#15 Barley_Bird

Barley_Bird

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

Ah. The Victorian pattern is probably better for your purposes.

Actual garment and not a costume pattern. Just chop the sleeves and make sure you keep a long slit down one side for sporran access and what not. Also, add pockets and all number of modifications.

A wise idea would be to construct it out of cordura nylon. make it waterproof and comfortable.

#16 Mr. MacDougall

Mr. MacDougall

Kilt Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:35 AM

Harriet's looks like a fantastic site for those of us with a bent for historical clothing. Thanks for posting the link, Dread.

Oh, and when I talked to the fellow from Empire last month, he said he wasn't doing patterns because he had a queue of his regular products waiting for him to get to, and he couldn't take the time to draft the pattern.
BOTK #57

#17 Rob Soderman

Rob Soderman

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

I realize this post is an older one but you may want to contact these people. They may be able to help you out with a pattern. If not you may at least get some ideas from the pictures. Don't let the name freak you out either. I saw these up close at the Bristol ren faire one year and I've wanted one ever since. Jsut can't afford it. Maybe witht he dark shadows movie coming out they will come back into style and we cna get them at "Hot Topics!" :rolleyes:

http://www.bodyhangings.com/

The "Brotherhood of the Kilt" logo is a registered trademark of SimpleSage, LLC, and may not be used without express written permission.
This website and all its contents © 2005-2012 SimpleSage, LLC and/or the original poster unless otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved.