Sign in to follow this  
Fringillidaeus

Newest acquisition from Bilt Kilt

It was a shot in the dark. Hmmm. :unsure:

No, a dark and stormy night. No. That's not it, either.

Okay, forget the drama--it was a case of a new kilt maker appearing at exactly the right time. I have been working away at developing a tartan for the Stephen family, ancestors of mine who arrived in Scotland in the year 1010. Although there are longstanding connections with the Mathesons and the Gordons [possibly MacDonnell and MacKenzie], the Stephens never had a tartan. I figure that the 1000th anniversary would be as good a time as any to correct that.

Therefore, I've assembled a list of kiltmakers, and have chosen a weaver. All I was missing was a casual kiltmaker who could create something in 13 oz wool.

Enter Bilt Kilt. I emailed a wish list of what I wanted to see in a casual kilt, and after a few exchanges, this was the result:

One 13oz wool weathered Gordon [blame Riverkilt for that!], box pleated kilt [Dread's influence!] with a mid-rise waist [a combination of Alpha Kilt and Freedom Kilt], but traditional length. Belt loops [paired on each 'corner' and single at the centre rear] are more like a casual kilt, but can take a 'traditional' sized belt.

Although the sewn-down pleats are only 1" deep and 2 1/4" wide, this kilt moves well, has a neat, tailored appearance, yet is versatile enough to dress casually or somewhat more formally.

Why would you want to buy a Bilt Kilt?

Superb workmanship, for one thing. Everything I ordered met or exceeded my expectations. Price? Tartans such as the weathered Gordon tend to be more expensive, and I specified a 14" apron with 13 pleats, so the price will vary somewhat according to what you want them to make you. Take a look at the photos. This kilt cost less than $400.00, believe it or not!

Surprises?

This kilt is very light, but doesn't blow away. I can now see why kilt makers who use 4 or 5 yds of material tend to go for heavier weights, and though I felt a little exposed at -5 degrees celsius, I know I'm going to love this in summer. One thing I hadn't thought of was lining. If I were to order again, I think I would have a 12" lining. Without lining, I would recommend wearing Tilley Coolmax boxers. Another surprise is that this kilt passes the crush test with flying colours. Two Christmas dinners the same day, hours of driving, and all that the kilt needed was a light steaming. Not as spectacular as a knife pleated 'traditional' but elegant and practical for everyday wear.

Bilt Kilt has produced a great product that I would recommend to the Brotherhood as well as to my family. Working with Brandon to incorporate my chosen options was effortless and the results you can see for yourself.

First and second photos: worn with Tilley vest, sporran by Celtic Empire, garters by CWK. Last photo: worn with 'formal' belt and black day sporran with Argyll jacket, both supplied by Tartan Town, Coquitlam BC. The red scarf is Canada Post uniform issue.

GetAttachment-1.jpganotherview.jpgGoingout.jpg

Sharp Dressed Man!!

Looks like you made a good choice sir!!

Looks great, and I really like that tartan.

Very sharp outfit.

It is a good looking kilt. I wish the pictures were larger, with better detail. Especially construction details.

Are the pleats sewn down? Did they have a 1/4th or 1/8th from the edge line of sewing? How visible is the stitching?

We've got questions!

It is a good looking kilt. I wish the pictures were larger, with better detail.

:ditto:

You! You're a mod! Do something moderator-ish!

What good is having mods if they don't do anything? :lol:

Okay, Quit hijacking this thread...... :nono::lol:

Okay, Quit hijacking this thread...... :nono::lol:

Er, not what I had in mind.

Order him to post larger pictures... Or face the Moderator Inquisition. (And the comfy chair)

Er, not what I had in mind.

Order him to post larger pictures... Or face the Moderator Inquisition. (And the comfy chair)

That would be abusing my Moderator powers and turn me to the dark side.. And we really need to stop this hijack....

But sir we would like to see some larger pictures.....

sharp looking tartan! The kilt looks pretty good as well, from what I can see.

Bilt Kilt Stitching:

The stitching is a double row with the inside stitch line being about 1/4" from the edge, and the outer line about 1/16" from the edge. Inner stitch lines are about 1/16" from the edge, but are almost invisible from the outside. Stitiching is in black, and is visible, but certainly not obvious, especially with the black threads of the tartan. The lower edge is hemmed, not selveged. This adds a bit of stiffness, and considering the light weight of the kilt, I'd say this is a good design feature.

The belt loops are matched to the horizontal 4 thread yellow stripe, and reversed against the tartan, so that they match exactly at the top, and show off the detailing of the double loop and D rings at the bottom.

Unfortunately, I don't have a camera that will show any of this clearly. So there. Send in the moderator's inquisition.....that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :P

Not to hijack my own thread, but it just occurred to me to put out a question [or is this a challenge?] to the kiltmakers out there.

The object of having this kilt made was to make a less expensive, high quality, versatile product available [in the tartan I am still working on] for those who might not want to spend megabucks on a "traditional" kilt.

What about a wool or cotton/poly casual kilt with wool tartan pleat inserts or perhaps a wool tartan apron?

Would it work to use such different materials?

Ideas?

Gary has done the solid kilt with the tartan inserts but not with the wool... I am guessing (though cant speak for him) he would be happy to try it if the specific wool was sent to him. He is at work tonight though and they took away his internet. So I will have him check this thread tomorrow.

BTW the tartan inserts he has done look GREAT!!!!!

Oh!! and the new bilt kilt is sweet!

Nice tartan. I really like those colors!

Not to hijack my own thread, but it just occurred to me to put out a question [or is this a challenge?] to the kiltmakers out there.

The object of having this kilt made was to make a less expensive, high quality, versatile product available [in the tartan I am still working on] for those who might not want to spend megabucks on a "traditional" kilt.

What about a wool or cotton/poly casual kilt with wool tartan pleat inserts or perhaps a wool tartan apron?

Would it work to use such different materials?

Ideas?

Yup, as Heather said, it is do-able and been done.

I am currently making a kilt out of black duck canvas for a guy in Texas.

He has a brother in Iraq right now, and when he gets back he wants me to do exactly that for him.

He has some tartan and wants me to make black kilts with the tartan as inserts.

I haven't done this with wool, but I don't imagine it would be much of a problem to do it.

Also as you mentioned, it would be a less expensive option to get a kilt done with a bit of tartan you want.

COOL! I can't tell, but are there pockets? Their site shows the cargo pockets, but it looks like you had them leave them off. Looks nice!

COOL! I can't tell, but are there pockets? Their site shows the cargo pockets, but it looks like you had them leave them off. Looks nice!

Hello everyone Bilt Kilt reporting in. Thanks for the nice review. Peter choose not to have pockets on the outside but he does have a pocket under the kilt's apron and features our logo and a business card pocket too. Peter's kilt is an example how we can do something custom and build a kilt just for you the way you want it. We do have standard features which must be in all Bilt kilts we make including our logo and double stitching.

If you are interested in a Bilt kilt for yourself please contact us and we will be happy to work with you.

Custom ideas are always welcome as we are happy to accomadate creative and innovative ideas to match our own.

Tartan inserts are highly doable. We carry a full line of tartans (over 1500) and can easily do this for anyone interested.

Bilt Kilt.com - Contact us for your own Custom Kilt today.

Note: Custom kilts may have additional charges depending on the request.

Thanks

Brandon

Bilt Kilt.com

Kilts shown on our website are stock kilts. [

Nice tartan. I really like those colors!

The tartan is Weathered Gordon. We carry a full line of tartans and also offer tartan designing services.

Details, details......Mea culpa. :unsure: I forgot about these.....

BiltKilt1.jpg

BiltKilt2.jpg

Is this helpful?

The Moderator Inquisitors arrived at my door and nailed my head to a coffee table [i had transgressed the unwritten law--they had to do it], so they helped me remember that I hadn't taken these images out of my email file.

And if you don't like those photos, the M.I. will have to go and talk to Brandon. Good luck getting through the snow! :lol:

Details, details......Mea culpa. :unsure: I forgot about these.....

BiltKilt1.jpg

BiltKilt2.jpg

Is this helpful?

The Moderator Inquisitors arrived at my door and nailed my head to a coffee table [i had transgressed the unwritten law--they had to do it], so they helped me remember that I hadn't taken these images out of my email file.

And if you don't like those photos, the M.I. will have to go and talk to Brandon. Good luck getting through the snow!

:lol:

I just want everyone to know I had nothing to do with this, Must have been ButlerGal.......

Those pictures are great btw..

Peter choose not to have pockets on the outside but he does have a pocket under the kilt's apron and features our logo and a business card pocket too.

I had to go back a re-read this....I meant a business card pocket for your business cards. Just had opportunity to "flash" the Bilt Kilt logo, but I didn't have a business card to hand out. I still passed on the information, but oh, you should have seen the look on the guy's girlfriend! Priceless! :lol:

Any weathered Gordon tartan kilt is gonna be beautiful. You sure put a lot of work into the planning and design and coordination. Just ain't nothin' finer than standing tall in your clan tartan.

My weathered Gordon is also 13 ounce, Reiver from Lochcarron. Its knife pleated though. Sewn up by The Celtic Croft. Here's a pic of the pleats for comparison.

G1.jpg

Its just a beautiful tartan. Every member of the House of Gordon should have one...

Ron