Tartan Jack

What makes the Brotherhood?

We are 6 months into the forum, some here the whole time, some only recently. It looks to be expanding quickly. As it does, it will change, mature, develop, and become its own thing, composed by ALL of its members and their personalities.

Reflection time:

What makes the Brotherhood BE the Brotherhood?

What does it MEAN to YOU?

What drew you here and WHAT makes it tick?

The "official" reason we exist:

The Brotherhood of the Kilt is a co-ed organization dedicated to the kilt. We hope to educate the global community on the history of the kilt and its impact on the Scottish, Irish, Welsh, and English peoples of the world. Via a wide array of mediums, including live discussion and merchant support, we also strive to put forth a modern appearance and image of the kilt for its worldwide acceptance. It is our belief that you don't need to be Celtic to put on a kilt, you just need the courage to wear it!

And:

"Because you want more than just the average kilted experience. Not only are you joining what will become the largest kilted organization on the planet, you will be able to make those hard-earned dollars go farther when buying that next kilt, sporran or set of bagpipes. I've negotiated discounts of at least 10% with many fine merchants and kilt makers like NeoKilt, UnionKilts, Freedom Kilts and the House of Celts, with more merchants to come. Every merchant who has earned the title Official Merchant of the Brotherhood of the Kilt has been reviewed by me personally, and will not rip you off, overcharge or by any means try to pull one over on your.

I'll make sure of that.

Not only will you get discounts, a certificate, t-shirt and an auto decal, you will receive a little something every year upon your renewal, be it a kilt pin, special glassware, or just something cool from me to say thanks for helping build the largest kilted community on the web."

Goals:

"While I am working hard to find merchants and vendors who won't take your money and run, the Brotherhood of the Kilt as a whole is hunting for resources for everyone to learn about the kilt and the cultures who wear it. We are gathering educational resources were you can learn about your heritage, family and maybe even find the link to a kilted culture you thought you had no connection to!

As we grow in size, expect even bigger events, local kilt night, and even conferences and conventions! One of the primary goals of the Brotherhood is to change the social stigma that a kilt is a costume, and only scots wear it. I eagerly await the day when I can walk down the street, and see another person wearing the kilt not for an event or some special holiday, but because they want to.

Remember, you don't need to be Celtic to put on a kilt, you just need the courage to wear it!"

(Quotes taken from front page and membership page)

I think you summed it up for me, Wages.

Honestly, one of the big reasons above and beyond what you see on the site, is that I wanted to create a place where kilted folks from any clan ( or no clan at all ) can get together to talk about just about anything, or have a kilt night, or who knows what!

I also reacognized that most people do not have excess money falling out of their kilt, so I wanted to work with reputable merchants to get as much for your money as possible.

all that, and I like hanging out with kilties. Most everyone I have ever met has been really cool.

I hope so, YOU WROTE what was QUOTED in "post 2."

I am VERY curious what everyone thinks.

Having been kilted for a short time I have found the Brotherhood to not only be helpful but also educational, I hope I have made some new friends in this world and look forward to some day meeting some of you.

I've always wanted a kilt, but always balked at the $400 + price tag.

(My Scottish frugality is partly the reason why I haven't shelled out 3 to 5 C notes for a bitchin' Celtic tattoo, as well.)

However, finding recently that I can get into an entry level kilt for much less, all I needed were brethren to bolster my courage. And I found it with this forum. I am now kilted, and will be so tonight when I go out. Thanks.

I'd agree with everyone above. The biggest reason I got into kilting was for the comfort, next one being that I've always stepped off the treaded path, forging my own way with how I dressed, how my hair was(this is before I started balding and shaving my head) or the fact that I have a lot of tattoos. Yes, my tattoos are mostly hidden, but I still have them and show them to people if they ask to see them. One of the few ways to stand out and let my personal confidence shine is by wearing a kilt.

Last night I shaved my head again, had let it grow in because I hadn't the time to do it. Well, I noticed today that my confidence level was at about an 8 instead of the usual 10, not something I've ever considered when wearing my kilt though. I'd have to say that when I have my kilt on it's up around a 12 or 15, even with my shaved head. I actually had the thought pop into my head, "Gee, why do I feel awkward today, I didn't feel this way last night when I when grocery shopping in my kilt."

Ok, here it goes.

I believe the Brotherhood is exactly what its says a Brotherhood, a group of folks with the same beliefs or likes as others or with the same direction of travel it the kilted community.

This Brotherhood means the ability to have a brother to call on, and depend on in other areas if I find myself in an area in which other brothers miight be.

This site drew me in by the ability to speak you mind without the threat or looming control of power hungry folks. If feel this forum and this brotherhood is much like a kilt. Its comfertable and non-restrictive.

In short I love it!

KT I thank you from the bottom of my heart for starting this Brotherhood it has brought me to know lots of great friends and kilted brothers to support me in my future kilted endevours.

I came here as one of the first as I was just beginning to delve into my Scottish ancestry, this site popped up, and raptured me. I'm a culture buff, but when it comes to my own past, I love to dig deep. This place has been something incredible. All walks of life, around the globe can come together and share a single interest. I was living in Hawaii at the time this site popped up. You can imagine the challenge of being a freshly kilted lad on a tropical island, can't you? Anyways, I'm glad to have moved back stateside and I'm interest in meeting and growing in friendship, er brothership with you finely clad gents.

This Brotherhood will prove something to the world, if it hasn't already.

Okay may sound interesting but a brotherhood to me is a group of liked minded people who are like or are family... I am new here for the most part, but as a person looking up family history and other things about past family events, I have always felt the respect a bagpiper or drumest gets when she or he plays for weddings or other family or clan events. I have respected people who wear kilts.. I having the need and like others have said I do not have to wear a family kilt to wear one but if I wear one to know the place and history of the tartan is needed and to wear it with respect to that clan. I am respectiful of country history and what things mean to people which I see in most of the people here on this fourm. Brotherhood to me means kinship and respect to each others...My draw to this site is the people mostly how they without know people like me help and answer questions about stuff about their brotherhood with everyone here it is anything kilted or the like family history and just having fun... Slainte' to the brotherhood and may those of membership keep the history and education flowing to people like me who want to know about this stuff....*Bow* Raven

at the risk of repeating much of what has already been said...

a brotherhood is more than a group of like-minded people. it is more than a club. it is more than a community. the "brother" of "brotherhood" implies family. and like family there will be likes, dislikes, agreements, disagreements, good times, and strife. but like families (the healthy ones) everyone will stick together because we all understand the bigger picture, the bond.

well, see the above answer. and i will add: it is great to be apart of this. to be accepted into a group of intelligent, diverse, thoughtful, respectful, and honorable people just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling (and i say that in the most manly braveheart warrior voice i can).

what drew me here was probably some link at ex-em-tea-s. what kept me here was the very thing that makes this place tick: the people. outside of this forum for unbifurcated garments, i know of only 3 others. two are just a waste of bandwidth for bold and obvious reasons. the other has many great qualities, but with every growth spurt it has, it manages to unknowingly poison itself. this place is different. we have a great thing here, it is cause of the quality of people, and we seem to attract more like us.

most online forums display the same sociological symptoms that happens on the highways: that is we treat other drivers on the road, other forum posters as less than people. we see the avatar and the words and the car, and not the person, not their face, not their eyes. if you cut someone off with your grocery cart in a store, both of you will apologize and act with care and regard because you make eye and facial and verbal contact (that is human contact). if this happens on the highway, the same two people will cuss, honk, throw up rude gestures, and fume about it. the reason is that the human animal in us sees only the car, and that car has no facial expression, or voice, or eyes. even if you catch eye contact later, it is too late, the negative emotion gets thrown into play in a millisecond. and the same crap happens online for the same reasons.

it has even happened here in this very forum, but the difference is that we all seem to over come this. i've seen guys here come back and apologize. this is fan-d@mn-tastic! humbleness is an all too rare trait these days, especially online. i've seen guys disagree here on very volatile topics, but never did i get a sense that there was a loss of respect or a whiff of hatred. mutual respect and mutual appreciation is what makes this place such a success, and it is what we need to continue to cultivate.

i am not a social butterfly, i hate meeting people, i don't even like people, i am introverted... (no really, i am......... seriously, i have the personality tests to prove it). BUT.... i'd hang out with all you guys if it weren't for the tons of miles between us. so far there isn't a poster here that i don't like and i would not have a beer with and i would not help change a tire in the rain.

and d@mn those miles between us all. ironic how the world wide web has made the world smaller by bringing people together who live miles apart, and at the same time showing us just how far apart we really are.

I agree with furrycelt that this is more than just a bunch of people who waer the same type of clothing, this is a group of diverse, intelligent people who band together because of a belief in a way of expression regardless of cultural background.

I have only been here a short while but after reading many posts I am getting the feeling that like a family of brothers, there is a commonality that keeps us coming back to each other in spite of diverence of opinion, and that is the coolest thing.

P.S.: I don't necessarily count myself in the "intelligent" category. :)

I like a quote I once heard "The man I call my brother is the one who guards my back". The BotK strikes me like that: a group of like-minded people who look out for each other's interests. Actually, I'd say we're a clan in the true sense of the word. Otherwise, I'm only going to be repeating what's been said above. We're a brotherhood, & I for one am proud to be a part of it. Slainte!

:rain: I'm pinning and bumping this subject because it's come up recently in other areas and it would be nice for some of the newer members to chime in as well. =)

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother

Don't think there's a lot I could add to what has already been said...

For me, growing up with four brothers, the word "brotherhood" has significant meaning.

We may bicker & disagree, and have varying outlooks on life... but when the dust settles, we all stand together as one family, united by a common bond... in this case, kilts.

We care for each other. We look out for each other. We enjoy each other.

There is a relaxed sense of realism, here. There is no pretentious, superficial aura, here. We deal with & discuss tough issues. We've taken strides to make the world just a bit better than yesterday. And we know we don't have to do it alone.

I've made friends here, that the wife & I can't wait to meet, in person.

Not too many virtual communities that can say that.

:wavey: I'm pinning and bumping this subject because it's come up recently in other areas and it would be nice for some of the newer members to chime in as well. =)

That was a great idea Megs.

To me it's a safe harbor in my stormy life.

A place where I can share things, happy or sad. Good mood or bad mood, I am accepted for where I am at.

It is helping me heal.

I am close to many of my BotK friends and I will be meeting more of them soon. I can't wait.

I joined these boards today after having read through many of the posts contained herein.

What drew me here? I wear kilts, have been wearing kilts for almost 7 years, and I was looking for a place to socialize with like-minded folks. Being a member of other forums, I know the value of joining "families" of like-minded folks. As I grow, I obtain knowledge and skills from the people who came before me. Likewise, I can pass that which I have learned on to others.

I look forward to being a member here and then passing what I can on to others.

I joined these boards today after having read through many of the posts contained herein.

What drew me here? I wear kilts, have been wearing kilts for almost 7 years, and I was looking for a place to socialize with like-minded folks. Being a member of other forums, I know the value of joining "families" of like-minded folks. As I grow, I obtain knowledge and skills from the people who came before me. Likewise, I can pass that which I have learned on to others.

We're looking forward to having you! Once you decide to do the membership portion, you'll be entitled to 10-15%discounts at our merchants as well as have a whole other section of the board where we let it all hang out! =)

We truly look forward to getting to know you better and learning from you!

Here is my 2 cents worth on the three questions at hand. First, I am new here and glad to find men of like mind who know the joys of wearing a kilt. Also, who know the comments one can get from non-kilt wearers. We are kind of a group of men (and women?) who have banded together simply because each of us has been wearing kilts for some time. Each of us in finding this site has been looking for like-minded men for validation and sharing the joys of kilts vs bifurcated garments. In this is the thread of our "brotherhood". Men have banded together for lesser reasons. We identify with each other and want to spread the message that a kilt is a "man's" garment that has been around far longer than p@nt$ or jeans and is very masculine garment. Just by the comments from women that I have received. From "It takes a real man to wear a kilt" to "nice legs". We ban together for support. Each of us, on some level, need to know there are others wearing skirts. I know it's a kilt, but how many times has someone said, "Hey man, nice skirt"? I have found these people are easily corrected with a simple, "It's a kilt"! Case in point, one day I walked out of a men's room and ran into 5 young high school age boys. One of the taller boys said "Hey, nice skirt". I started to return the "it's a kilt" comment but before I did one of the smaller guys got in the taller guy's face very sternly told him, "It's a kilt". That put the big guy in his place. I felt proud and knew the smaller guy was more of a man than the taller smartass.

What does it MEAN to me?

It means a place to go where others understand where I am coming from, what I mean and, more than likely, has similar experiences. Being understood without having to explain every thought and idea makes for much freer speech. If I say "what is the drop on that kilt?" you know I'm referring to the length of the kilt. Being of like mind makes the stories funnier that you can relate to. Like how many times has everyone been asked "What do you wear under your kilt? I'm sure there are some pretty creative answers to that one. Someone once told me that if a man asks the question, reply with, "your wife's lipstick"! I had some drunks put one of the females of the group to ask if I was a "commander". I asked, "do you mean do I go commando"? I gave her a little lesson in Scottish lore and told her the term is "regimental" or "going regimental" At that time two of the men of the group arrived and I asked them how could they trust my answer since they had a bet going. They immediately produced a cell phone camera, gave it to the woman and told her to take a picture under my kilt. She wasn't familiar with the phone and took a picture of the ground. About this time, an older woman came up and started apologizing to me, my wife and daughter saying she had raised her kids much better than that and proceeded to remove them by the ear. They didn't get the proof they wanted. So, the sharing of funny stories about wearing kilts helps to bond people in the group. Even though, the Internet is a cold and non-personal we can still relate to each other on this level. Humans are a social animal who needs other members to relate to, otherwise we go stark raving mad.

I found the link by setting up a Yahoo account and searching for groups I found of interest. The other group I found is a digital photography board. I consider myself a free lance amateur photographer using a cell phone 2mp camera. I think the one thing that makes this group tick is our innate human desire to be part of and to be accepted in a group. It is our social nature, our curiosity and desire to learn, since of wonder and last but not least, the ability to finish a sentence without interruption. I don't know about you but in my house, I speak only when my wife and two daughters allow me to. That is being married for 25 years and the knowledge of picking your fights wisely. Harmony is maintained in the home by the husband always saying, "yes dear" and "I'm sorry dear.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to be a part of a group of men (and women?) who are of like mind and wear kilts. Enjoying the freedom that comes with a kilt and the ego trip of having 18 or 19 year old girls look and smile. That is worth it all. Ya know?

Stay kilted and free!

Alwayskilted AKA Wes

That's one hell of an introduction Wes! Welcome to the asylum. You've got a lot of good points in that post and I'm glad you made this your first contribution to the forum. :)

Well I am new here. A little late in life to get into something so new to me. Struggling to learn about computers, kilts, and kids grown, and wife gone. I have found myself checking here every little bit to see what is being said. I have learned a lot about kilts. You all have been so gracious trying to help me with this posting of pictures and other computer things. I know I seem like a slow learner. I look forward to get to my computer and see what you all are writing. It is something to do. It is a stimulating, mind stretching experience. Companionship in a way. You all seem so nice.

I would also like to meet with some kilted brothers but lo, except for the Shrine(FreeMasons),I have not come across anyone else wearing Kilts. The Shriners have a Kilted Pipe Band where they participate in Parades and other special programs but that is sbout the total involvement where you see Kilts worn in this area. I am a Shriner and I did play Trumpet in the Shriners Concert Band but my age has worked against me such that I can no longer Play the Trumpet.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]