Sign in to follow this  
Rowallan

Clan Muir is not an official Gordon sept

I wish to clear some misinformation that has spread on this board. Clan Muir is not an official sept of the House of Gordon. Please read the Gordon sept list:

http://www.cockothenorth.com/house_of_gordon.html

Clan Muir is an official sept of two clans:

Boyd and

http://www.clanboyd.org/pages/septs.html

Campbell

http://www.ccsna.org/newmember/ccsna1.html

Plus there is a Clan Muir society

http://www.theclanmuir.org/

Here is the wikipeida article about Clan Muir. The chief of the House of Gordon removed the Muir septs except for the Moir spelling variation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Muir

Once a chief removes your surname, you are not supposed to wear his tartan. I have stopped wearing the Gordon tartan. I have one kilt in the Pride of Scotland (purple) tartan. This is explained in the following article:

http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/c...ilies_septs.htm

The tartan dealers or kiltmakers will not tell you when names are removed because they want to make money. Personally, I do not wear a tartan, unless my name is an official sept, that is approved by the chief.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Uh-huh...... :mellow:

Welcome to the forum, hows abouts you introduce yourself?

Welcome!

When you have a moment, hop on over to the "New to the Brotherhood" section, and introduce yourself!

Howdy. Nice to have you here.

In my post re Clan Muir, I made mention of the fact that Clan Muir is not only a fragmented clan, it is officially a sept Of Clan Campbell. This is due to the large number of Muirs on the West Coast. After the chief died, members went to Campbell, Gordon, Leslie & Grant, along with numerous individuals spreading themselves around the neighbouring clans. In my case, my (Aberdeen) Muir ancestors (2 sisters) married Lauries (HoG). I find it fairly irrelevent to my case anyway, as 3 out of 5 of my bloodlines are provably Gordon. I wear the Gordon (probably because most of my family are Lauries) & two members (one of whom was within my living memory) served with the Gordons. I was born in Aberdeen, & was raised a Gordon. I remember seeing my Ma crack a mannie with a beer jug for asking if she was wearing a Johnston tartan. Proud Gordons? Yep.

How about you post a bit about yourself so as we can get to know you?

I have a hunch that SOMEONE is back throwing hand-grenades.

Aye thought crossed my mind.

Aye thought crossed my mind.

That thought crossed a lot of minds around here....

Fits a certain profile doesn't it.

Our fine Mods are working the issue.

Gotta admit, it's always nice to see old pals, have tea and get cozy, no? :wavey::lol:

I'm amused that it took two posts to repeat what I'd already said. *shakes head*

Clan affiliation, esp. as the official clan system IS long dead, is largely a personal matter and depends greatly upon which part of your family you feel the greatest ties toward.

I can't think of a single clan officially summoned for battle since the 1800s.

Many of the clan societies are social groups, nothing more (there are numerous notable exceptions).

My surname looks to have been invented about 1690-ish. One shows up in Williamsburg, Virginia (his 9 other travel companions ALL have Scottish names) and another is imprisoned, then released in Edinburgh. The other known references are later.

Yet, it is one of the rarest names in the US or UK, just barely above grammatical spelling error-created names on documents.

It looks to most likely BE Scottish, but is part of no clan at all.

To me, it looks like they were fleeing something (First Jacobite Rebellion?) . . .

Created a new identity/surname . . .

Fled Scotland in a hurry.

The name COULD be related to the Gaelic for whiskey (distiller? Moonshiner?), but we really don't know.

So, my tartans MUST come from other familial connections, mostly my mother's lines-> which I favor strongly.

Also, if you look back in history, MANY clansmen and even CHIEFS came in my marriage or maternal lines, not just paternal direct descendancy.

As for the particular clan/surame in question, I don't have much info. It isn't one I ever researched or had need to. I have no known ties to it.

Fits a certain profile doesn't it.

Dare I ask?

A former member raised a stink. He was banned, returned under another name, and was banned again.

He was a "rebel" from Glasgow who thought only those born in Scotland are true Scots and all else were Scottish equivalent to "plastic paddies" . . .

He was extremely obnoxious about it too.

Just for S&G, My Last Name is Adams I have a Gordon Tartan Kilt and wear it in honor of that association. MY Grandmother on the Adams side Hannah via her Mom, My grandfather Adams had a Hannah for a Mother as well. Yeas I have am Hannah Tartan as well. Then it gets interesting LOL! I have Hannah on both sides and they are fairly close!!! Cousins! LOL and not I do not have two heads or three eye!

Lots of Scottish to go around. Now it gets better although a bit strained here: Since I am also Norweigian, remeber the Norseman? those guys that settled some of the East Scotland and left names like Anderson? Those same guys who took over norhtern France? Who then took over England in 1066! The same who sent north thier knights to try to breed out the Scottish Problem? It did not work but I bet I have enought Scottish markers in both my Nuclear and Mitochondrial DNA to make me a LOT Scottish er.. at least thats my story and I am stickin to it!!!!

Hello.

Nice to meet you all. My name is Grayson Muir and I am a first generation Scots American.

As my family relays it, we are sept to the Campbells but most will say it's the Campbells who should be sept to us, LoL!

• Like 1

Welcome, Grayson, from another clan that the Campbells would like to claim as a sept.

Last year, the Standing Council of Chiefs issued an order for all clan chiefs to remove the names of other recognized clans from their sept lists. So far, His Grace Argyll has refused to do so and I'm not holding my breath. That's OK... we know who we are and where we came from.

I claim Gordon as the major part of my lineage is Laurie, but I have a LOAD of Muir in me & for what it's worth I've never viewed the Muir as anything other than Muir. In most cases, the Muir blood is older than the clans that tried to claim them!

Greetings all.  This is an old thread but I would like any new,  valid information that is available.  I am descended from John Muir (not the famous naturalist, but another John) who emigrated to northwest Ohio USA on September 15, 1832.  John, my GGGG grandfather, was born in Carnwath Parish, Lanarkshire, Scotland in 1777.  As you can see, the family kept detailed records and they always recognized clan Gordon as our clan, being that Muir was a sept.  Now I see internet "talk" contrary to that.  Given that my family has VERY detailed records, I must accept that my Muir clan is a Gordon sept.  Unless and until a bona fide new Muir chief appears, I believe that Muir can be a sept of different clans depending on what allegiances your ancestors made long ago.  I am open to fact based discussion on this, of course, but not opinions based on preferences or prejudices.   :). Bide and Fecht.  TNB