Sign in to follow this  
Kilted Eric

Is there space on the BotK for a non-kilt MUG section

Would it be ok to have a MUG catagory?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Simple choice question.

Yes or No.

Please vote, let your voice be heard, and the powers that be can make the final decision.

Edit - add third option. That a MUG can be discussed like any kilt. Example - A person could post where to buy a sarong in the Kilt Suppliers thread.

Poll Closed.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I voted for MUGs to have their own little corner of the Forum! :violent-smiley-089:

Kilt ON!

Chris Webb

there has been over 14 views but only 4 votes. Why view and not vote. Should I add a I don't care choice?

i would vote but my option isnt up there.

i believe we already have many forums where other MUGs can be discussed. not just off topic but members forum and any of the many other forums if you can find a tie in. i just dont belive that other MUGs should hold such precedence in a kilt group that they should get there own forum, because it takes away from the fact that we are a kilt forum. same way as if we had a p@nt$ forum.

so my vote is neither. MUGs should be able to be disscussed in ALL forums as long as the reason for posting legitimately fits the forum its in.

i would vote but my option isnt up there.

i believe we already have many forums where other MUGs can be discussed. not just off topic but members forum and any of the many other forums if you can find a tie in. i just dont belive that other MUGs should hold such precedence in a kilt group that they should get there own forum, because it takes away from the fact that we are a kilt forum. same way as if we had a p@nt$ forum.

so my vote is neither. MUGs should be able to be disscussed in ALL forums as long as the reason for posting legitimately fits the forum its in.

I think I understand, I will update the Poll.

there ya go.

ya might also wanna add a "dont care" option :P

I really hate what I am about to do...

But this is a bloody terrible idea.

This is a kilt forum. As such, there is a lot of noise about kilts. Kilts kilts kilts. And there are a whole bunch of people here for, you guessed it, KILTS. To discuss kilts. How to wear them. How to make them. What to do with them. How to get bubblegum out of your wool traditional. All those other topics.

There is so much noise and discussion about kilts that any discussion about sarongs would be drowned out in the din. Any useful info would just be swallowed to the point of total disappearance in no time, at the rate that new posts are added to this board.

Ultimately, adding this section to the board would be a great disservice to the sarong and other such MUGs, taking a great deal away from them while adding nothing of value to the larger kilt community.

While I would love to see such a thing be added here, the logistics of the forum do not allow for such discussion. We have gained numbers, and, with those numbers, the conservative shift to the right that seems to happen in kilt communities. We're starting to see more posts about traditional kilting and fewer posts about modernist kilting. Don't believe me? Look for your self, and check the dates. There is definitely a shift happening. It is the slow steady change that is inevitable over time. Our user base is rapidly becoming the tried and true more traditional kiltie, and this is a good thing for the Brotherhood.

Such a user base isn't so conductive for the freestyle element. Or for that matter, the ultra modern kiltie.

This is not a hill worth dying on. It isn't even worth sticking around or fighting over. That's the problem with new frontiers... They never stay a frontier for very long. Eventually, others come to settle in the new ground broken. Meanwhile, the frontier keeps creeping away, just over the horizon. And the Brotherhood of the Kilt is no longer the frontier that it once was. We are well settled, well established, full of growth, and kilt-centric. This is a good thing and the balance that we do have shouldn't be tampered with.

We do not need an alternative MUG section. We just need to stop being lazy and start looking toward the horizon again.

For those who don't know what a MUG is:

MUG = Male Unbifurcated Garment ... kilts, kilt variations, men's skirts, sarongs, tunics, dresses and other male unbifurcated garments. Unbifurcated means 'not p@nt$', basically a garment that does not have two leg holes.

Here's a pic of me in one of my MUGs, even though this was sold to me as a leather gladiator kilt, it is clearly not a kilt according to the classic definitions. Where in the Forum that this MUG, as well as countless other variations of MUGs, would be discussed is what's at issue in this poll.

DSC00305_edited.jpg

Kilt ON!

Chris Webb

I thought about that, adding a Don't Care answer. But I feel these three choices sum it up. Don't care could mean a No or Yes vote. I would much rather have distinct answers than bland feelings.

The 'I don't care' vote happens every time somebody reads this thread and doesn't vote.

Kilt ON!

Chris Webb

I really hate what I am about to do...

But this is a bloody terrible idea.

This is a kilt forum. As such, there is a lot of noise about kilts. Kilts kilts kilts. And there are a whole bunch of people here for, you guessed it, KILTS. To discuss kilts. How to wear them. How to make them. What to do with them. How to get bubblegum out of your wool traditional. All those other topics.

There is so much noise and discussion about kilts that any discussion about sarongs would be drowned out in the din. Any useful info would just be swallowed to the point of total disappearance in no time, at the rate that new posts are added to this board.

Ultimately, adding this section to the board would be a great disservice to the sarong and other such MUGs, taking a great deal away from them while adding nothing of value to the larger kilt community.

While I would love to see such a thing be added here, the logistics of the forum do not allow for such discussion. We have gained numbers, and, with those numbers, the conservative shift to the right that seems to happen in kilt communities. We're starting to see more posts about traditional kilting and fewer posts about modernist kilting. Don't believe me? Look for your self, and check the dates. There is definitely a shift happening. It is the slow steady change that is inevitable over time. Our user base is rapidly becoming the tried and true more traditional kiltie, and this is a good thing for the Brotherhood.

Such a user base isn't so conductive for the freestyle element. Or for that matter, the ultra modern kiltie.

This is not a hill worth dying on. It isn't even worth sticking around or fighting over. That's the problem with new frontiers... They never stay a frontier for very long. Eventually, others come to settle in the new ground broken. Meanwhile, the frontier keeps creeping away, just over the horizon. And the Brotherhood of the Kilt is no longer the frontier that it once was. We are well settled, well established, full of growth, and kilt-centric. This is a good thing and the balance that we do have shouldn't be tampered with.

We do not need an alternative MUG section. We just need to stop being lazy and start looking toward the horizon again.

Thank you, Dread.

I think the name says it all Brotherhood of the Kilt. Our mission statement lines it out and makes it pretty straight forward. Kilts is what it's about. Other mugs would be by definition "Off Topic." Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Thank you to everyone who has voted and spoke their minds. Thank you to Chris for reminding us what a MUG is for those who do not know.

I was suggested to keep this poll in order. I am not sure what was meant by that, but as a reminder to all new posters keep it to the subject.

I would hate for a second thread of mine to get locked down.

I think the name says it all Brotherhood of the Kilt. Our mission statement lines it out and makes it pretty straight forward. Kilts is what it's about. Other mugs would be by definition "Off Topic." Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

It would seem that way.

I was suggested to keep this poll in order. I am not sure what was meant by that, but as a reminder to all new posters keep it to the subject.

I think what was meant was that the original topic was closed. End of discussion. It isn't ok for the arguments to start anew in another thread. It seems rather disrespectful to the other BotK Members and especially the Mods.

It would seem that way.

I think what was meant was that the original topic was closed. End of discussion. It isn't ok for the arguments to start anew in another thread. It seems rather disrespectful to the other BotK Members and especially the Mods.

If the mods feel disrespected, than close it. And let us never speak of it again.

well i dont think its reached that point yet. they are just telling us not to start the argument over.

Pretty muchly sums it up for me!

I voted Off Topic, Kilts are kilts

I voted Off Topic, Kilts are kilts

DITTO - DITTO - DITTO !!!!!!!!

Puffer

I came here for information on kilts. Anything else doesn't really interest me much, so I vote keep in Off Topic.

I still feel like a newbie on here, although I am slowly working my way up to a year on the forum. I have read and looked at the arguments discussed so far, and I seem to agree with more of the opinions that state that MUG's other than Kilts should be in the off topic section. as this is a KILT forum. I have nothing against other MUG's, but I am here in the Brotherhood as a Kilt wearer, not a sarong or skirt wearer. I tend to lean more on the side of traditional styling mainly because I like the Scottish Heritage that I have, not for breaking the norm and being different, although I dont care what people may say or think about what I wear, but I think this forum should stay on topic for kilts and others should be "off topic".

ok now I feel as if I am rambling

you now have my .02

DMC

The Poll has been closed by Kilted Eric.

The people of the BotK have spoken their minds.

now, where did I put my Rum.

And that Scottish Hog, is the constant problem. I am always out of rum when I must want it.