Kilted Drummer

UTILITY STYLE KILTS

So can anyone tell me for sure if the non traditional looking kilts are supposed to be worn up high (around the navel area) like the traditional plaid ones? Seems like I heard or read somewhere that the more modern kilts are intended to be worn lower around the hip area more like where one would wear p@nt$. Any advice on this is appreciated. :confused:

(The reason I ask this question is that there is a kilt in a certain box currently in my possession that if worn like p@nt$ would fit my youngest son) B)

Depends on the maker. Utilikilts for example are made to be worn like a pair of jeans. Anything made to order depends on the measurements. If it fits and looks good then have at it.

If it fits and looks good then have at it.

With non-traditional kilts it really is a matter of preference. The Kilt-Kops can't stand the things anyway, so really you (or your son) are free to wear it however you see fit.

jim

With non-traditional kilts it really is a matter of preference. The Kilt-Kops can't stand the things anyway, so really you (or your son) are free to wear it however you see fit.

jim

:ditto:

I agree with all of the above.

Yeah, this really is personal preference.

I can tell you most folks do wear modern style lower on the hips, like jeans.

Hell, I think I even wear mine lower than my jeans.

Where ever it feels most comfortable for you, that is the right place to wear it!

I agree that it's personal preference. Most folks tend to wear them more like jeans, but I wear them up higher - not as high as a tank, but at or slightly above the navel. As a big guy, I find that wearing the kilt at that height helps disguise my gut a bit.

jim

Sorry if its not tartan or it has pockets then its not a kilt... :P

:lol:

Just joking by the way. I think some kilt makers offer it either way. Its up to you.

Yup, personal pref.

I have casual wool I wear low because they are shorter, and some contemporary I wear higher.

Ask yourself the question: "Am I comfy?"

... As a big guy, I find that wearing the kilt at that height helps disguise my gut a bit.

not just me then...

i always thought modern kilts were meant to be worn low. 21st Century even call theirs 'hipsters'.

I vote personal preference. If it feels good and you like the way it looks, go for it. Just be careful who you ask.... you're ok here, but others may beat you up for asking.

I would say personal preference but that's not always the case. Ask the manufacturer of the kilt to find out for sure. They have to be made different for different ways they are worn. Alpha Kilts and UK's are made to be worn at the hips like p@nt$ but do not fit properly if worn up high without some adjustments made to the kilt.

I would say personal preference but that's not always the case. Ask the manufacturer of the kilt to find out for sure. They have to be made different for different ways they are worn. Alpha Kilts and UK's are made to be worn at the hips like p@nt$ but do not fit properly if worn up high without some adjustments made to the kilt.

I always thought your kilts were designed to be worn with the top at the belly button. I have two Alphas and I ordered the length at 23" which puts the bottom on top of the knee. I just tried both of mine worn at the hips like my Utilikilt. Two problems arise (ignoring they are now too long). I have a bit of a belly so now the hem when viewed from the side is not straight. My first Alpha (Glasgow) was ordered with a waist of 36". The widest part of my belly without pulling on the tape measure is 38.5". If I order a kilt at 39" it is way too loose. I have a Denim Union Kilt that is a 38" and I have to pull in the buckle straps in all the way and tighten up the belt or it feels too loose. I guess belly compresses a lot. The widest part of my hips around the butt is 39" to 40". If I stoop down when the kilt is worn at the hips it gets a little snug in the butt. That does not happen with the top at the belly button. This is because the point where the sew down pleats end is now above the point where the butt starts to curve back to the legs. The Compass kilt was ordered with a waist of 37" if I recall so the rear is not as tight On me I think the Alpha kilts look better when worn higher.

My Utilikilt is much worse on the slanted hem over my Amerikilt or the Alpha worn at the hips. I have had that kilt a year and just recently noticed the hem is almost 1" longer in the front than the rear! If it had been reversed that would have taken care of the slant. When I get some time I will rip the hem out of it and make the front a little shorter than the rear. I ordered that kilt a little short at 19" as the intended use was around home, hiking or Geocaching in the hot summer so I wanted it a little short. It is going to end up an inch shorter than planned as the new hem length will be set by the existing rear which is 18".

Mike

Thanks to all for the advice. My son was all discouraged because the lady that made mine and my other son's kilts has the material for his kilt but recently fell and broke her arm taking her out of the sewing game for a while. He will be happy to know that the amerikilt will work out for him worn low. :wavey:

I vote personal preference. If it feels good and you like the way it looks, go for it. Just be careful who you ask.... you're ok here, but others may beat you up for asking.

lol they can try lol :huh:

Basically a kilt is either made to be worn at the natural waist (navel) or on the hips and I'll tell ya why: Virtually all kilts are made in one of two ways, either a bit shorter in the front than the back or the same length all the way around. The first is to be worn at the hips, like p@nt$, and the later to be worn at the natural waist. If you switch them up you will either have a kilt that hangs funny in the front (if you wear a 'hips' kilt at the waist) or a kilt that is longer in the front than in the back (if you wear a 'waist' kilt at the hips).

A great example is Utilikilt, who actually offers a beer gut cut kilt, which honestly works best on 95% of the men who wear them ... trouble is that nobody, myself included, wants to admit to any kind of a gut so we buy the Utilikilt that is the same length all the way around and then look like dipshiats walking around with our kilts looking shorter in the back than in the front. I've got 11 of the damned, heavy things and the only ones that are not a pain to wear are the 2 beer gut cut kilts I got off of Ebay ... I wear them at the hips and below my belly, like jeans, and I can wear them all day and all night!

Kilt ON!

Chris Webb

You're going to get varying results because of your actual waist, hip/seat measurements on how your kilt fits unless it's made to measure. I can get away with wearing my Alpha Kilts and Amerikilts higher on the waist because even though I'm a big guy, I don't have an much ass left. I'm 62 and and have scratched most of it off.

I wear the Alpha Kilts a little lower than traditional waist, but above belt line and still get a good appearance with the hem hitting about mid-knee. The Amerikilts, I find I can wear at traditional kilt height and have the hem at the same height front and back with the hem hitting just over the top of the knee. Like Daron said, it depends on how the kilt is designed. If I take my Alpha Kilts up to traditional kilt height the front of the kilt will flare outward, so I wear them a bit lower.

Bilt Kilts are a made to measure contemporary kilt with 2 fit options. You can order them with a belt line fit (down on the hips) or a traditional fit (high on the waist). I have 3 that I ordered with the traditional fit, and they fit just like a tailored traditional kilt, but have contemporary styling.

It really comes down to personal choice, but check front, side, and back in a mirror.

Darrell

Basically a kilt is either made to be worn at the natural waist (navel) or on the hips and I'll tell ya why: Virtually all kilts are made in one of two ways, either a bit shorter in the front than the back or the same length all the way around. The first is to be worn at the hips, like p@nt$, and the later to be worn at the natural waist. If you switch them up you will either have a kilt that hangs funny in the front (if you wear a 'hips' kilt at the waist) or a kilt that is longer in the front than in the back (if you wear a 'waist' kilt at the hips).

A great example is Utilikilt, who actually offers a beer gut cut kilt, which honestly works best on 95% of the men who wear them ... trouble is that nobody, myself included, wants to admit to any kind of a gut so we buy the Utilikilt that is the same length all the way around and then look like dipshiats walking around with our kilts looking shorter in the back than in the front. I've got 11 of the damned, heavy things and the only ones that are not a pain to wear are the 2 beer gut cut kilts I got off of Ebay ... I wear them at the hips and below my belly, like jeans, and I can wear them all day and all night!

Kilt ON!

Chris Webb

Hello,

I have found that making kilts, you generally know that a guy that has a larger measurement is going to need that extra inch. So why ask? Just add it, right? Regardless, I add the inch weather it's asked for or not because I want the kilt to fit properly.

To the overall question, I make custom kilts. They are made to fit you personally and they aren't mass produced so, where ever you decide to measure your "waist" is where you kilt is going to hang from, so when getting measurements, I ask "measure waist (where you want the kilt to hang from) and measure rump (so the kilt isn't too tight) and measure length (where you measured the waist from to the ground, while you kneel) so the kilt hits you at mid knee (or lower) when standing.

I personally design the kilts based on what you're going to use it for; work, hunting, hiking, yard work, around the house chores...so, that makes a difference in the closures that I use like snaps which if done right, might give you about four to five inches to play with in the fit and now I do the plastic hikers clasps to give you five to seven inches to play with on either side of the kilt for people that might bloat after eating or gain weight over a summer or even lose weight but want their kilt to fit snug.

So, as a contemporary kilt designer, I keep the traditional look but the overall feel is modern and made to fit. I am sure many kilt makers are figuring this out too, so, the question is really up to who makes your kilt and what measurements they request and how adjustable their kilts can be.

2 cents :)

9920_132405432257_105675837257_2406.jpg

9920_142996892257_105675837257_2519.jpg

SeanNkilt-2.jpg

For a 58" waist, this works;

9920_145752242257_105675837257_2548.jpg

9920_145752277257_105675837257_2548.jpg

So, for the most modern contemporary kilts, they should be made to fit you where ever you want it to or at least be able to adjust to fit.

:wavey:

Or I could be completely wrong...there's always that too :rolleyes:

I make kilts to measure, out of tartan or denim or silk, or just about anything, I make tradtional handstitched ones which even the most ardent tradtionialist would find it hard to find fault with, AND I make more modern styles as well-these are machine stitched. BUT I almost always work with a high rise waist , it's something I like, it's slimming (generally) and to me it still has the sense of a "kilt" about it. The thing is that the kilt will be made to what ever size the client is, and that is the way the kilt should be worn, otherwise it might not fit properly. Of course the client wears it however they want, and that is entirely up to them. I'll make it to fit, but I'm not their mother, so how they wear it ..it's up to them!!