Sign in to follow this  
coinneach

Help! Need a computer Wiz!

My home computer is giving me fits! The monitor isn't reciecing any signal, the thing doesn't respond to mouse or keyboard. I hear the guinea pigs inside talkin' but I have no way of knowing what they're sayin'.

If you think you might be able to help me, call ( send me a pm for my phone number ).

I think I liked computers better when they had beads instead of keyboards!

Thanks!

( KT EDIT: edited out the phone number so spammer and idiots don't call you at all hours of the day and night )

Might want to hide the phone number, you posted in the public portion of the forum.

A few questions: is it a laptop or a desktop? Does the screen show anything at all, or does it have a "no signal" message? It might be that the monitor burned out and needs to be replaced.

A few questions: is it a laptop or a desktop? Does the screen show anything at all, or does it have a "no signal" message? It might be that the monitor burned out and needs to be replaced.

Desktop.

WHen I turn it off and then back on the Acer logo comes up followed by the no signal message...then black

Video card may have gone bad on you. Do you have a local repair shop? They can normally do a simple diagnosis for a fairly reasonable price.

Do you have any spares to plug in? Old monitor, old cable from PC to monitor. Maybe a friendly neighbor has one you can borrow, just a few minutes time will tell if either of those is the case.

Could be a bad cable or bad graphics board inside PC. If it's powering up and showing the Acer logo, odds are the monitor itself is fine.

Did you change anything just before this happened, or was it working fine the last time you powered down?

Are you using on-board video or a Viseo card? If you seeing the Acer logo then your onboard video is fine. Just switch your monitor cable from the Video card to the motherboard.

Are you using on-board video or a Viseo card? If you seeing the Acer logo then your onboard video is fine. Just switch your monitor cable from the Video card to the motherboard.

and how does one do that?

and how does one do that?

look at the back of your computer.

unplug your monitor cable and remember where it was plugged in.

look for another plug that looks the same, and plug the monitor into that.

if there is no other plug like the one your monitor was plugged into, plug it back into the one it came from.

look at the back of your computer.

unplug your monitor cable and remember where it was plugged in.

look for another plug that looks the same, and plug the monitor into that.

if there is no other plug like the one your monitor was plugged into, plug it back into the one it came from.

Ok, I'll try that!

Thanks

Ok, I'll try that!

Thanks

No joy! :angry:

I'll take it to Daron over the week-end.

Have you tried a big hammer yet.... :lol:

Wanted to!!