KT

Botk Tartan Kilts - Please Read

Suprised noone sent they're fabric to Jerry at SWK I have heard he has done projects like this in the past.

It's difficult to believe that these kilts were made by the same people that make SWK kilts. There is no comparison. We shouldn't have to spend more money to have these taken apart and put back together correctly. With undersized under aprons, it would take more yard goods to make them fit correctly.

I also have this flaw in mine: (This should never have been made into any garment. This is scrap material.)

722222857_4DXds-L.jpg

It's difficult to believe that these kilts were made by the same people that make SWK kilts. There is no comparison. We shouldn't have to spend more money to have these taken apart and put back together correctly. With undersized under aprons, it would take more yard goods to make them fit correctly.

I also have this flaw in mine: (This should never have been made into any garment. This is scrap material.)

Gosh Spartan, that would take a miracle to fix. I can't speak for others, but I am taking mine to a real kiltmaker tomorrow (2nd December). He has quoted me, at least, £100 ($166), on top of the original $110 and the further $35 for shipping. A total $301 and no guarantees.

Regards

Chas

Wet and windy today.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just a suggestion, or idea.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I am thinking about donating the kilt to charity, and taking a tax deduction. That way I will only be out about $60.

That's a great idea.

I'm still waiting for the silence to break. This is getting a bit Tiger Woods-ish.

Even post his contact's contact details so we can all air-raid them.

If I remember correctly, Daron made it very clear that these were not coming from alphakilts, and would in no way be a representation of him or his business. He was just going to help make the arrangements, keep track of the orders, and make sure they were sent out to the right people. Now, to my knowledge, all of this was done at cost, and he didn't make a dime doing it. If he were making money off of the deal acting as a middle man, then I would say he would have some responsibility for the quality issues. However, I do not believe that is the case. He facilitated this transaction, and VOLUNTEERED his time, efforts, and professional contacts.

They say no good deed goes unpunished, but to put him on the spot like this, and call his role in all of this "criminal" is going too far. I know Daron, and I know that if there is anything he can do to help resolve the quality issues with the order he will. However, he should be under no obligation to do anything above and beyond what he has already bent over backwards to do.

Daron, I'm sorry that you are getting thrown under the bus for trying to do something good for the brotherhood.

I'm standing with Nick on this one, well put bro!!

As I stated, just posting the merchants details would be a help, then we can go straight to the culprit. Doing a Tiger Woods isn't helping the cause.

Guys, I'm not throwing Daron under the bus at all, far from it. BUT, we did trust that he had someone in mind who wasn't going to provide truly poor quality, and given that they have, it would at least be nice to hear from him. Even just a "terribly sorry, I'm going to call the factory and see what can be done"....anything would be nice. I'm not expecting that there will be anything to this beyond being stuck with what we have, but a word would be appreciated.

This is not a great way to come back from holiday but I am trying to contact the manufacturer about the issues you discussed. They have been a nightmare to work with and I am not getting my hopes up though. I guess no good deed does go unpunished. I am sorry that some of you were not happy with your kilts, and rest assured we will never be doing an order like this again. I will continue to help get the Indiana State Tartans because they were happy with that order but as far as the brotherhood, im leaving it up to KT. If KT needs help to acquire tartan we can help but its always going to be a gamble when you cannot control QC. And I am glad to hear that most people liked their kilts, thanks for all the emails. I do have some tartan left on the roll and an extra 42 inch kilt so if anyone is interested please contact me.

I really liked the feel of the tartan, nothing like an all wool kilt. Also the pleat depth was amazing, it averages about 6 to 1 showing. The leather straps were a bit disappointing so I will be looking for replacement straps and buckles. So if anyone has a lead on those let me know. I will do a write up with pictures when I am done so you can see the process that I used. It took a couple days to break in my kilt but it fits fine now. Some of you can try doing what Ken or Coineach did and raising the fell up about 2 inches and that may help it wear better. So to those of you who love your kilts you are very welcome and to those of you that didn't I am truly sorry.

THANK YOU DARON for responding. It HELPS!!

Puffer

I am with Nick on this, and I DID order one of the kilts.

Mine is not great, but wearable and doesn't look all that bad.

I will probably be doing some work on it to make it a little better and replacing the straps.

Now as for the story about the middle man being responsible.

Well, that is true, IF he is a middle man.

A middle man buys wholesale, marks up a bit of profit for himself, and re-sells.

It is my understanding that Daron did not mark up prices or make any money on the kilts.

I have thought about it some and think of it this way.

This last summer someone asked me to get him a sword for the an organization they belong to with my discount at Bud K.

I got the sword for him at my cost.

I did this as a favor for this person, not to make money.

Now if they had received the sword and decided it was crap and they didn't want it, am I liable?

Should I have to take the sword back and eat the cost of it if Bud K doesn't take it back?

I did it at no profit to try to help a brother out.

This is kind of how I see the kilt mess.

Daron did what he could to try to get people kilts they wanted.

It sucks that so many of them came out crappy, and weren't really made properly, but I don't think people should be forming a lynch mob for Daron when he was just trying to help.

Just my 2 cents worth, and worth every penny you paid for it.

Now as for the story about the middle man being responsible.

Well, that is true, IF he is a middle man.

A middle man buys wholesale, marks up a bit of profit for himself, and re-sells.

It is my understanding that Daron did not mark up prices or make any money on the kilts.

hey Gary! Thanks for the insight. I for one may have been using "middleman" loosely. I am aware that Daron is a Brother, and was trying to help his fellows out, and did not do this to turn a profit. I didn't mean "middleman" literally, just figuratively.

Daron, thank you VERY much for coming on, and offering to get on the horn with the manufacturer to see what, if anything, can be done for our Brothers. I think we forget that everyone goes on holiday! (sorry about that...) I do thank you for all your efforts, by the way. This clearly was alot of work, and the work, unfortunately, continues. I'm looking forward to seeing if they are willing to stand by their product....or not.

hey Gary! Thanks for the insight. I for one may have been using "middleman" loosely. I am aware that Daron is a Brother, and was trying to help his fellows out, and did not do this to turn a profit. I didn't mean "middleman" literally, just figuratively.

Daron, thank you VERY much for coming on, and offering to get on the horn with the manufacturer to see what, if anything, can be done for our Brothers. I think we forget that everyone goes on holiday! (sorry about that...) I do thank you for all your efforts, by the way. This clearly was alot of work, and the work, unfortunately, continues. I'm looking forward to seeing if they are willing to stand by their product....or not.

DITTO!!

Puffer

Me, I am still waiting to receive mine. :(:rain:

I am not as enthused as I was, but hoping to receive a pleasant suprise.

As I remarked in the other thread, mine is not too bad. The flaws are pretty much hidden, & the straps should be finished today. Then I can try it on & see if it fits.

We dont do thanksgiving her so the holiday explanation never occurred to me.

I wanted to apologize to everyone for not posting much about this. With everyone going on in my personal life lately,It's been rough.

This entire BotK tartan order was since the beginning a community effort. Everyone agreed to go with the low-cost option well before we started down this path. I was having trouble getting things going, and Daron offered to help. Again everyone agreed and we pushed on to where we are now. Daron is making efforts to contact the manufacturer and see what can be done to rectify this issue.

The ultimate decision for all this most likely falls in my lap. I figured it would be far better to have a lot of people in kilts than just one or two.

If there is something I can do, please tell me.

If there is something I can do, please tell me.

My thoughts are:

1- Don't worry about it. Let us move on and up. After all, it is soon to be Christmas, a time of giving, in rememberance of Jesus who gave so much to us all.

2- This was a test run. It is what it is, and it will be frustrating and uneconomical to pursue it further.

2- Next time, let us work with a known entity kiltmaker.

I appreciate men who have good intentions, and who take action to bring those intentions to fruition. Otherwise, we all are victim to men with bad intentions. Next time will be better. :sunny:

Well, my last word on the issue noone's going to like, and I agree that it's time to move on, but I am really disappointed with the attitude of many here that not only do you have no right to complain, but somone actually suggested that we got what we deserved/paid for. That's bull****, plain and simple.

Our SHARED expectations were the same, for all of us, and not unreasonable. We ALL expected better. I'm glad some are happy, or can fix the problems. Kudos to them. Not everyone can, and to suggest that nothing should be said about it is not cool. Supporting another Brother is one thing, but....

I'm taking a break.

KT, The BEST THING,IMHO, is for You & Daron, to KEEP US in the "LOOP"on a Regular Basis.

Puffer

Nice kilt???

:lol: Hey Di! What's shakin? been a while!