Tartan Jack

Botk, Pakistan Run, Kilt Issues

What are the big issues  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If someone is reading this at a future date, this thread is related to this particular kilt order:

It was a custom fabric run with kilts made in Pakistan, then imported to the US and arrived in October 2009. There were many, many problems with the resultant kilts received. Additionally, some ordered fabric as well as kilts, so some posts reflect such.

Here is the poll. That covers most of the general issues. Any mod could add additional options (and add a vote if option added after a person voted). The intent is to get a total list of issues and how many of each issue in the 50-BotK kilts ordered and received. That should give statistical data to be used in resolving and/or " problems

Below:

Post picts and detail issues as specific as possible. To keep this thread clean and to the point, please keep commentary to the other thread(s) about this kilt order issue.

Here's the way I voted. Bear in mind that this applies to the first kilt only, the second still hasn't arrived so no basis for comment.

Kilt Construction:

No tapering in fell

Fell too short (Under 7.5")

No reverse pleat on right hip side

Underapron too narrow

Overapron too narrow

Other: Wildly off-centre, insufficient pleats

Fabric:

Thin, can see through the fibers

Bad pulls

Large hole

Other: Loose sections of weave

Strap Issues

Strap extremely thin

Holes in strap too small for buckle

I'm traveling right now, so I'm going to wait to enter my poll issues until I get home next week and can examine for some issues that others noticed, for example, the fell length being correct.

Here is a picture of one of the problems:

722222857_4DXds-L.jpg

Posted as well.

KILT CONSTRUCTION

1.No Taper of fell

2.No reverse pleat

3.Under apron to Narrow.

4. Over Apron to Narrow.

FABRIC

1. Thin, can see through

2. Bad pulls

3. Comments = This IMHO, is NOT 16oz wool

STRAPS

1.Strap is extremely thin almost like cardboard

2.Holes to small (I enlarged)

3.Buckles cheap & light weight

While my Kilt, as previously stated is wearable @ this time, (only because of my current build = slender = 34" waist - 39" hips & no "gut ( @ this time )

KILT CONSTRUCTION

1.No Taper of fell

2.No reverse pleat

3.Under apron to Narrow.

4. Over Apron to Narrow.

5. Comments = If I change size even "MARGINALLY", it will NOT FIT.

FABRIC

1. Thin, can see through

2. Comments = This IMHO, is NOT 16oz wool

STRAPS

1.Strap is extremely thin

2.Holes to small (I enlarged)

3.Buckles cheap & light weight ( I do not expect them to last very long) & the Leather is extremely DRY & again do not expect to last long.

Puffer

Although I cant claim to speak for everyone here, I assume this applies across the board:

While I was having my straps changed, the English bootmaker I use for this type of job (he's a Northener, with considerable respect & experience with kilts)told me quite catagorically that the straps are cardboard. Having seen what was on it, & what he fitted for me, I dont think he was being sarcastic.

KT reminded me that some buyers weren't members . . .

Would anyone object to moving this thread from the members section to "Kilt Discussion" . . . ?

(Post only if object- if no objections by 10pm EST tonight, I'll move it.)

Edit:

No objections, so moved. Now, all recipients can participate.

I'm seeing the same problems that others are describing. I can wear it...barely. It doesn't look all that well though. It's very off-center and the buckles are garbage. Lost a tongue the first time I wore it.

I've had all the same faults:

KILT CONSTRUCTION

1. No Taper of fell

2. No reverse pleat

3. Under apron too Narrow.

4. Over Apron too Narrow.

FABRIC

1. Thin, can be seen through

2. My kilt maker say that this is NOT 16oz wool

STRAPS

2.Holes too small

There are also two other things that have not yet been mentioned.

The basting stitches were not basting stitches. The purpose of basting stitches is to lock the pleats so they maintain their distance from each other. Mine did not. What I had was a running stitch - the pleats could move and bunch up.

The other thing is that the kilt was not pressed - at all.

The only conclusion that can be drawn from these two points is that the maker did not know how to make a kilt.

@ Puffer - You're only telling us how slim you are to make us jealous - and it's worked!

Regards

Chas

I've had all the same faults:

KILT CONSTRUCTION

1. No Taper of fell

2. No reverse pleat

3. Under apron too Narrow.

4. Over Apron too Narrow.

FABRIC

1. Thin, can be seen through

2. My kilt maker say that this is NOT 16oz wool

STRAPS

2.Holes too small

There are also two other things that have not yet been mentioned.

The basting stitches were not basting stitches. The purpose of basting stitches is to lock the pleats so they maintain their distance from each other. Mine did not. What I had was a running stitch - the pleats could move and bunch up.

The other thing is that the kilt was not pressed - at all.

The only conclusion that can be drawn from these two points is that the maker did not know how to make a kilt.

@ Puffer - You're only telling us how slim you are to make us jealous - and it's worked!

Regards

Chas

:ditto::ditto::ditto:

I won't bother repeating what others have already posted, but I added my votes to the survey. This is just not a serviceable product. I don't know yet what I am going to do.

Got mine, and have the usual.

-underapron too narrow

-straps turn to dust with a finger mnail

-tube hip measurement

-fabric pulls, repaired rips hidden in pleats

-the funniest one is when I try to center the front apron, as if I could put it on, the pleats end about the middle of my right cheek. I just had to laugh for crying.

Similar to Chas, post 04 December 2009 above, with additions as follows:

KILT CONSTRUCTION

1. No taper of fell

2. No reverse pleat

3. Under apron too narrow, reaches to almost to middle left thigh, falls inside thigh

4. Over apron too narrow

5. Pleats run from lateral L hip across to posterior (ventral) R hip only

6. Waist band is some sort of black shiny thin material

7. Crude machine stitching

8. Kilt hang loops are 6 inches long, and are made of tartan that should have been used to make the waistband. The black waistband material should have been used to make the hang loops.

FABRIC

1. Thin fabric can be seen through. Light shows though linear fashion in places because the weave is so open.

2. Not 16 oz

3. Runs and pulls, many of which are obvious and ugly on the over apron

4. This fabric lacks the look and feel ('hand') that characterizes fabric from all other mills product in all my other wool kilts

STRAPS and Buckles

1. Straps are extremely thin, stiff, and too wide for the buckle mouth

2. Holes are too small

3. Buckles are cheap & light weight, with a huge burr on the tang

OTHER

1. No basting stitch: a running stitch has been passed through the pleats

2. The kilt was not pressed

I received my kilt yesterday, but was apprehensive about opening the box because of all the issues I've heard about.

And, today when I opened it, my fears were realized.

I have all the issues mentioned. Totally unwearable by me. I have towels that fit and look better.

What a disaster.

I'll post pictures when I can.

Thunderbolt

ETA pictures...see below.

First, the obvious...

When I opened the package and held the kilt up, this is the first thing I noticed:

CAM_0001.jpg

Look at the center(ish) light blue stripe...It looks like they forgot to add the other half of the blue threads...the one to the left of it has an improper thread count and is too small as well. if it were on the under-apron, it would be wearable, but on the top...? No.

Also notice that there is no taper to the edge, where the fringe would be.

Then this:

CAM_0003.jpg

The straps are very hard and sew on crooked. And, the holes are too small to fit the buckle pin.

CAM_0009.jpg

Many, many of these flaws and fabric issues.

CAM_0010.jpg

Buckle pin bent/broken.

CAM_0012.jpg

Notice the sett, or lack thereof. The blue and orange strips look close, but none of the black or olive stripes match up at all on the pleats.

Another pic of the sett:

CAM_0011.jpg

I'm one unhappy camper. It's a shame that the perfectly good and beautiful tartan had some hack mill and kiltmaker do this to it.

And of course, no taper lousy fit, the selvage looks like a sawtooth.....

Thunderbolt

OK, here we are. #2 arrived today. Same issues re construction, size etc,but all up much better than first one. A couple of pulled threads etc (one visible on front apron), but thankfully no holes in this one. Irrelevant though, it has no hope of fitting me.

hey all. i know i aint been around for a whle but i did get my kilt and i do have the same probs. i didnt notice em until i saw this thread. the kilt kinda went straight into the closet cause i have to get it p@nt$ waisted, but maybe i wont bother now.

anyway i voted on what i could, some of the stuff im still too noob to know what ya'll r talkin about. :P