The Kilted Nation

Introducing The Nationkilt!

After thinking about this for quite a while, I have decided to come out with a new kilt, dubbed;

The NationKilt

Using modern poly-cotton's and other cotton blends, I've taken a distinctly traditional nudge from the traditional tartan kilt design, but enhancing it with many of the modern bells and whistles, while trying not to be too heavy or cumbersome with the hardware.

The pleats are smaller and tighter than you see from other modern kilt companies. I ahve also gone with a a traditional pleating in the back, with all the pleats moving in one directions. That is, until you hit the right hip. I reverse the pleats here (which ends up being under a pocket) so that the front remains symmetric looking and allows for full range of forward leg motion.

The kilts sits up higher, like a traditional kilt, so measuring should be done around the level of the belly button.

The front apron is a little wider then most modern kilt designs, with multiple layers of cloth on the outer apron, providing excellent wind coverage.

The Cargo NationKilt has attached pockets, which are fully gusseted.

The Heritage NationKilt has detachable pockets, fully gusseted. When removed, the Heritage NationKilt is very clean looking. Straight flowing lines in the pleats, and allows for a much more formal or semi-formal attire.

The connecting mechanism is also relatively unique. We have taken the leather straps from a traditonal kilt and added snaps to them. providing for easier, quicker attachments, as well as a great deal of size variability in both the waist, and the hips.

The NationKilts start at $149, and are only slightly higher for sizes over 44 inches. We carry standard up to a 52 inch waist. Larger sizes can be ordered, call for pricing of larger sizes.

As soon as I can get better pictures made, they will be posted.

www.kiltednation.com/nationkilt

www.nationkilt.com

Brad

I am intrigued. I can't wait to see how the pleating looks. color me jonesing :)

pics look really good. I like the hanging pockets, wont' restrict pleat movement as much.

how are the snaps re-enforced? is there some extra fabric behind the snap to prevent them from ripping out?

also, is there an option for a buckle of some kind instead of a snap?

I'm still working with the factory to get to a "final" design.... these are what I call "Mark I".

"Mark II" has some small changes, based on feedback, and I do envision a "Mark III" as these get out into the wild.

Right now, we don't have have any re-enforcement on the snaps.... I'll talk to the guys at the factory for their thoughts and ideas. With that said, I have been wearing these pretty much exclusively for the last three months and have not had an issue. Not to say that there won't be, but none yet. And I have received no complaints from the 30 or so that have gone out the door so far.

But it is a good idea.

As to buckles or other snap alternatives.... I'll have to put some thought into it. I wanted to get away from the buckles all together, take the inspiration from the traditional kilts, allowing for my interpretation.

Any other ideas, though, please let me know.

Brad

I'm intrigued by the idea, but I have a question: The traditional placement for straps is two toward the top and one towards the bottom. A number of folks eliminate the lower strap. From what I see, the Nation kilt has two lower strap and one upper strap. Seems an odd arrangement to me.

i am VERY interested in this.... can you get some pics of the kilt being worn?

i am VERY interested in this.... can you get some pics of the kilt being worn?

I'd like to see this kilt in action as well! I really like the removable side pockets. I still don't understand the reverse pleat, the kilt looks much like a Utilikilt, pleat wise, was the reverse pleat just to avoid the box pleat in the back?

The multi layer front panel is a must for those of us who work outside in kilts, for both protection from objects and protection from wind. How do the leather straps hold up wash after wash?

Chris

strap placement is really part of what is making it unique. with that said, I may be adding a 4th strap, up on the belt line, with "Mach II"

the lower straps also help keep the aprons down and in place during high wind situations.

but all suggestions are being taken into account

more pictures are coming ... unfortunately, with the DC snowpocalypse, I only have a black and a camo version here to take pictures of, while wearing. I'll try to get them up later this morning.

I think the addition of a 4th strap would be a good one - it would look more balanced (and I'm unbalanced enough as it is).

Ya..... balanced when no belt is being worn, but when a belt is worn it doesn't make a difference, but I think this will be in "Mach II" anyways.

Pictures of them being worn as so as possible.

sweet looking kilt.

how hard would it be to get one in black with all the attached fabric ( belt loops, pockets, etc ) in dark red? :)

freakin sweeeeet!

KT,

From the factory, not so easy to get one-off's done. I can talk to my local seamstress to see what can be done. It'd be extra cost, though.

Brad

sweet looking kilt.

how hard would it be to get one in black with all the attached fabric ( belt loops, pockets, etc ) in dark red? :)

KT,

From the factory, not so easy to get one-off's done. I can talk to my local seamstress to see what can be done. It'd be extra cost, though.

Brad

I read this yesterday, and mulled it over and as the night wore on I thought about it more and boy that would be a sweet looking kilt.....Now that is what I would call an attention grabber.

The camo and the olive are rockin. When can we expect production?