stanman

Very Good Highland Single Malt

Lately I've been going in for the Islay spirits. Last two bottles have been Caol Ila, in fact. This time I decided to switch it up a bit, so I went for a Highland. Glenmorangie Original. It's just ten years old, a wee lassie, but it has that lightness of flavor that I've come to know from the scotches of this region. This is my first meeting with this distillery.

As always, I am drinking this fine aqua vitae on the rocks (two, to be exact), with no other additives. I typically pour, then walk away for two or three minutes to let it settle. That is a habit I picked up from drinking the island spirits, and probably is unnecessary with the lighter Highland versions.

It hits the tongue lightly, dancing a bit there before warming the top of the throat. Tha label claims a slight taste of honey, and I find it. More on the second sip, the honey teases you with sweetness before the burn begins. The burn stays near the top, though. I find little heat in the belly, as it seems to have mellowed considerably before arriving there. There is a good complexity of flavor without losing distinction. This would be a good first stop for newcomers to the Scotch world, yet still has enough going for it to please the more experienced palettes. It also comes in at a fair price, $45 or so here in Michigan, your mileage may vary.

All in all, I give Glenmorangie Original a good rating. The Sixteen Men of Tain who perfected this uisge apparently knew what they were about.

Bottoms up!

Stan

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yes Glenmorangie Original is a very good Single Malt. Might I also recommend you give Aberlour 12 Year Old / Double Cask Matured a try as well..

That was a very excellent review Stan, you sound like a pro. I think that "Knowing the Drink" is a must for us Michiganders. It has been a long while since I have "partook" ( about 7 years ) but I swear I tasted it as you described it. Outstanding write up, can't wait for more, I'm thirsty. :)

Yep, I love Glenmorangie. I have a bottle of 30 year old here I'm waiting for a good reason to open.

Another gem, if you're lucky enough to luck onto a bottle is St.Magdeleine. The distillery closed down in 1986, so it's guaranteed vintage even if you get the last bottle made.

Thanks to all. I greatly enjoy a nip of the Highland nectar. I usually don't buy the same thing over and over, there are too many good ones calling my name, but Glenfiddich has always been the "old reliable" fallback. I am lucky to have two shops nearby who have excellent selections. I will continue to post as I try new ones.

Pulteney Scotch Whiskey Distillery,

is about a hundred yards from my Wifes

home, in Wick / Caithness Scotland.

BOS'N

Thanks for the review. I just bought a bottle of this a couple of days ago but haven't opened it yet. Now I'm looking forward to it even more!

Pulteney Scotch Whiskey Distillery,

is about a hundred yards from my Wifes

home, in Wick / Caithness Scotland.

BOS'N

This may start some crap but just so you know there is no 'E' in whisky when referring to Single Malt Scotch..

Tom, Larry waasn't being nasty... it's a common error.

This may start some crap but just so you know there is no 'E' in whisky when referring to Single Malt Scotch..

JACK: thanks for the word fix.

Tom, Larry waasn't being nasty... it's a common error.

That's why I started with "This may start some crap". Having many Irish friends Tom there is a constant argument about the spelling of Whisky. It's been an ongoing battle for year.