Sign in to follow this  
LOBO

Flint Knapping

I didnt actually know this was something people did but now that i do i definately wanna try it

does anyone here do it? or have you tried it?

i'd love to try making a knife this way someday but right now i just need to know how to find flint lol

I've made a few spearheads while taking anthropology classes in college. It is NOT a quick process, but you can make tools sharper than even the best laser-sharpened blades if you do it right and use obsidian :) .

i've been very much gettin in touch with my "caveman" side ever since i moved to NJ. I think its my bodies way of balancing out all the urban development im surrounded by.

making stone tools seems like a natural step. :P

make sure you have a very good leather pad to do your work on. Knapping on your legs or kilt is a very bad idea.

Google it real quick and you will find about half a dozen links for techniques, supplies etc.

Whitesmoke

Practice with the bottoms of glass bottles. Saves you on good stone.

You can warm the bottles in the oven to make them break a bit easier. Wrap them in a towel and crack them with a hammer on the shoulder of the bottle. Seems to work well for me. A piece of dowel rod with a nail in the end can work well for a pressure flaker. Just drive the nail in clip the head off leaving a bit sticking out. (obv a small nail hehe)

And remember to start slow. Pretty soon you'll be cranking them out. :)

www.tradgang.com

It is a great resource where you can get some supplies, pretty good folk over there, too. Thats where me and Eugene came from.

also try www.3riversarchery.com