Sign in to follow this  
Seanachie

A Big Time Jones

I had an AltKilt before they became a BOTK merchant, and I really think the world of Jeanie. She really cares, and everything she makes is unique as it is customized to your preferences.

Through her great generosity I won a contest last November for photos wearing an AltKilt. I wore mine that same month when climbing The Great Wall north of Beijing and was lucky enough to have

been named the winner. With my prize and some careful saving I was able to afford to order a box pleated leather kilt. Through the holidays and January we communicated on all the details,

options, features etc. Jeanie and Melanie (her awesome manager of all things customer serice) worked through everything with me. Then business just took off for AltKilt, Jeanie had a really full

schedule and had to battle some health issues so the kilt too a smite longer to complete. Today she posted an awesome pic of the kilt to the web and I hope it will be shipping soon. You will note

that in lieu of the button closure on the aprons that are a hallmark of AltKilt I asked for straps more akin to a traditonal kilt. Her husband owns Grey Cat workshop and he made these awesome

straps with Celtic knots. The following link is from the Twitter feed on her website and provides a preview of the kilt. AltKilt Custom leather kilt

Not really a fan of modern kilts but that's looking pretty nice Joe.

Sweet looking Kilt sir, congrats to winning the contest.

Not really a fan of modern kilts but that's looking pretty nice Joe.

Thanks Chili. I lean more along traditional lines these days, but like modern kilts that aren't too radical. I got rid of my one and only UK because of that. I never really cared for the aprons. For me they are often practical as well. Taking for example, a hemp RKilt from Robert Pel, it has a lot of traditional elements with some modern ones thrown in. With this AltKilt and my others (all Classic models) I have tried to retain traditional elements. Just please don't rehash the box pleat arguments :P I refuse to argue this issue any more, and I love the wool hand sewn box pleats I own. Other than kilt wearers I have never hear a peep about knife versus from box pleats from anyone I have encountered on the street.

WOW! Jones indeed! Congratulations! And, looking forward to the pics when it arrives. :th700d7c2b:

Mate, I have no issue with box pleats, I just prefer the knife. Anyway, its a sharp looking item, & I reckon you'll make a lot of people jealous with it. :)

Mate, I have no issue with box pleats, I just prefer the knife. Anyway, its a sharp looking item, & I reckon you'll make a lot of people jea;ous with it. :)

Chili:

I hope you know I was joking around, seems about a year or so a discussion on box pleats grew a little warm. I was jesting in general not meaning to direct it at you.

In wool box pleats have made the purchase more affordable as well. Thanks

Gotta tell ya' that every leather kilt I've seen so far have looked pretty gay.........this one breaks the stereotype, I like it!!!!

Thats the first leather kilt i have seen that makes me want to have one too!

Well I know the old adage about no pics, it does not exist. In this instance I will have to beg your indulgence as I have a "life" issue going on at home at the moment and will delay pics but they will be coming.

I received the kilt about 2 hours ago and it is just awesome. I know traditionalists might not like it but the feel of the leather is so nice. Jeanie did an amazing job!

im still in the hunt for a utility kilt and altkilts is on my list of possibles.

that leather one looks very nice.