Sign in to follow this  
The Amadan

A Healthier Amadan

I gotta lose some weight - Fat ain't where it's at

...there, I said it.

Seriously, the wife and I are commencing, this week, a healthier lifestyle.

Leaner diet, more exercise, the whole nine yards.

According to my doctor, I'm in as good health as someone 20yrs younger, except for my weight.

I need to lose about 50lbs, to start.

Giving up alcohol (it's fattening, and makes me sluggish) for the next foreseeable months.

I gave up sweets, pastries, ice cream, etc. 2 yrs ago, so that's not a problem. Gave up soda 16 yrs ago; generally only drink water, throughout the day.

I do enjoy my evening bourbon, but will gladly give it up, for the program.

Wife has a nutrition plan that makes sense, ready for us.

Luckily, Mary will be in the same regime, as me.... so I don't have to do it alone.

I told myself, that I may purchase a new kilt, when I reach my goal, and not before.

good luck. I'm pulling for you. looking forward to the before and after pics

Go for it.......

That's awesome Tony! Sounds like you have a good plan and great support at home. Nothing left to do but to do it!

I do enjoy my evening bourbon, but will gladly give it up, for the program.

Be careful with this one Tony. All kidding aside there is a beneficial effect to a drink in moderation and bourbon has come up in more than a few articles I have seen. Additionally totally removing a drink from your nocturnal regime can lead to stress and related issue which negate the benefit. Good Luck with your goals.

Be careful with this one Tony. All kidding aside there is a beneficial effect to a drink in moderation and bourbon has come up in more than a few articles I have seen. Additionally totally removing a drink from your nocturnal regime can lead to stress and related issue which negate the benefit. Good Luck with your goals.

Yep, I've read the studies.

I may, in the future, adapt my regime to allow a drink, here or there.

For the time being, however, I've eliminated it from my diet; I'm simply the type personality that if it's not around, I don't miss it (I took the same approach to sweets & ice cream 2yrs ago)

Right now, I'm establishing a trimmed-down baseline, from which I can build upon, as things progress.

So far, after a week-1/2 with zero alcohol, I've noticed little change... actually sleeping better, in some respects.

The diet my wife has outlined, is actually quite reasonable... mostly includes foods that I enjoy, already. More a matter of timing & portion control.

My overall outlook is much more positive, thus far.

One of my goals is to get back into running - I used to run 5 miles per day. I'd be happy if I got back to a point of 2 miles, several time per week.

We shall see...

Good for you! I recently came to the same conclusion and started doing Crossfit (Think p90x in a classroom setting) and it's kicking my ass, but in a good way.

Down almost 10lbs...

Down 15lbs.

25 to meet my 1st goal.

Treadmill is seeing action.

I see light at the end of this tunnel.

(on a boastful side note: Despite my silly nature, I am a very self-disciplined individual. It's driving my wife nutz, that I can easily say 'no' to temptations, while she struggles with the very same. And the best part is: This was her idea th_rofl.gif)

Outstanding....

Congrats on the smart decision and the progress you've seen thus far. Here's to hoping you continue to live just a bit better with each day.

My wife made this commitment a little over a year ago and just completed her first 1/2 marathon. She also had a 50 lb. goal, made it, and is happier for it.

Moderator: perhaps this thread should be moved to "Kilt Fit" section? :confused:

Well, I made it thru the holidays without gaining any weight.

In fact, I actually lost about 4lbs.

About 15lbs to go, to my 1st major goal.

I'm happy it's all working for you bro, but did you have to send the surplus to me?

I'm happy it's all working for you bro, but did you have to send the surplus to me?

Well, I am a generous fellow, after all.

sorry I'm slow... congrats on the weightloss friend. As you know I went through the same thing, unfortunately put back on 1/3 of what I lost. One thing though that helped me stick with it for 6 months was allowing myself 1 cheat day a week. Eat what I want, drink what I want, etc. Over time I found I didn't really desire stuff I'd given up the rest of the week that much but it was nice to one day have some cheetos or another have butter... yay butter. lol I'm getting ready to prepare myself for drinking the crossfit koolaid. I'm fed up with where i'm at and I really want to do a warrior dash and then a tough mudder... Now that I know you and mary are getting fit & healthy too, I know I can call when that extra cheese pizza says "eat me". lol

Tony - Keep up the good work.

I'm climbing up on that wagon too. Tore both my hamstrings this fall trying to push my training too hard, too often yadyadyada. Been in recovery mode since late October, and gentle spinning on the stationary bike was not enough to counter intake. Now I am gradually and I mean gradually, increasing training, have modified my intake, and hope to burn off all that I gained. So if anyone is interested in a day of easy walking on the Appalachian Trail in the Northern VA, MD, PA area, give me a shout.

Megs - We do the same thing, regarding allowing one day a week, to "splurge". Happy to say my splurges are usually limited to one (occasional) larger weekend breakfast (I do loves me breakfast)

I am happy to report that all my current kilts are falling off me. Had to put another hole in my belt, to keep 'em up, over the holiday.

I've dropped 2 pant sizes, and one shirt size... wife has had similar results.

I've been struggling with a cold/flu bug, for a week, so my exercise regime has been quite limited... but that will get back on track, soon.

Conn - great idea! We ought to see if we could arrange a Kilted A-Trail walk, or even a Kilted Battlefield stroll, this spring... see how many kilties we could round up.

I'm getting ready to prepare myself for drinking the crossfit koolaid.

I'm a big fan of the Crossfit kool-aid. I started kinda 1/2 ass with it (1-2x's a week) back in August and now try very hard to get there 3 days a week minimum. I've lost just over 25lbs and several inches off my waist. I eat better, sleep better and overall feel better than I can ever remember (I'll be 40 this year). If your CF gym doesn't start you off slow and easy and teach you the right/safe way to do thing, walk away and find a different one.

Another milestone reached, this week, in my weight loss regime.

(Kilt size has reduced by 4 inches)

About 15lbs to go, for my main goal (this year), by the time of my daughter's wedding.

Good for you man- I missed a week inthe gym-just too much gouing on-I really missed it, planning on starting back today. Keep it up.

If you added exercise into your weightloss plan, look at walking at least 20 minutes 3 times a week. The way to think about is to walk out 10 minutes and walk back 10 minutes. If you walk around a small block and see your house each time your are more likely to stop. Its all a mindset. Try stretching some especially after you have excersised. It will help relieve stress. Best of luck.

I do 30-40 minutes per day on treadmill or school track.

Always loved the serenity of running, sorry I got out of it 10 years ago - takes a bit to get my running legs back.

Too many years of running with a ruck and jumping out of airplanes. My knees won't take it anymore.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this