KiltedTexan

Badger Mask Sporran

Just finished making my very first sporran! Take a look and let me know what ya'll think, BE HONEST!

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

Sporran looks great, but those legs!

When are you coming to town to drink beer and smoke cigars?

Sporran looks great, but those legs!

When are you coming to town to drink beer and smoke cigars?

Tell me when and where!

My eye kind of wants to see the bottom have a rounded profile with the center being the lowest point.

...but I have the same visual issue with the stuffed kitty-cat sporran I made myself.

When one takes a formerly "cylindrical" critter and make a flat pouch out of it with a flat seam across the bottom, the center front (the former animal's spine) and center back of the sporran (the animal's belly) still want to pull outward; and therefore pull upward on the middle of the bottom.

Not a nitpick, just friendly discussion. Like I said, I've got the same concavity in the lower profile on my own handiwork.

I take no offense. I had thought about drawing in the corners to get that out, but wasn't sure if my skills would allow for it. i had also thought about trimming and rounding the corners, but again wasn't sure if i could get the curve mirrored on both sides. i did notice whenever i put my phone keys and other stuff in it, the bottom evened out a little.

i did notice whenever i put my phone keys and other stuff in it, the bottom evened out a little.

That might be trick to use. On the inside of the sporran, LIGHTLY moisten the leather, then hang the sporran up with some kind of weight in the bottom center to gently stretch out that area and make it a little lower. Easy, slow, and gentle are the keys on stretching and shaping leather like this.

I will have to give that a try.

I got it from a retailer from the Texas Ren Fest. I have their business card somewhere, i will try to find an post it later.

Moscow Hide and Fur is only about 300 miles from me:

http://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/Dressed.html

I've been thinking of getting a $30-50 fur and try my hand at a real full mask sporran before I start with a really nice $80-120 fur. Your leatherwork is far better than mine. I'm not brave enough yet to start out with such a nice fur!

They also have heads only (but right now, no badger), so it wouldn't be tough to make 2-3 sporrans from a single fur with 1-2 extra heads. One would simply need to use smooth leather or something other than fur to stretch it that far.

Before i did this one i bought a couple of rabbit furs from Hobby Lobby to practice with. I also made a pouch for my leather working tools first. once i was confident i could do it with out scewing it up to much i dove in. if i hesitated i'd start to doubt myself.

I can check again at a hunting store near me... They did carry quite a few nice pelts that I thought were reasonable. Bobcat, coyote, fox, beaver, and muskrats the last time I looked. If anyone is interested I'll be more than happy to go check and price them.

do they have a website?

love it

Moscow Hide and Fur is only about 300 miles from me:

http://www.hideandfu...ry/Dressed.html

I've been thinking of getting a $30-50 fur and try my hand at a real full mask sporran before I start with a really nice $80-120 fur. Your leatherwork is far better than mine. I'm not brave enough yet to start out with such a nice fur!

They also have heads only (but right now, no badger), so it wouldn't be tough to make 2-3 sporrans from a single fur with 1-2 extra heads. One would simply need to use smooth leather or something other than fur to stretch it that far.

I've got them in my favorites I found some things on there that I wouldn't mind getting in the future, like the bear paws I remember seeing a bear paw sporran a while back and it looked interesting to try and make one for myself but I'm also into the sporrans that are unusual.

I can check again at a hunting store near me... They did carry quite a few nice pelts that I thought were reasonable. Bobcat, coyote, fox, beaver, and muskrats the last time I looked. If anyone is interested I'll be more than happy to go check and price them.

Very interested. I'd also share a pelt if someone wants to go halves.

I'd be happy with half a back if someone really wants the head.

Very interested. I'd also share a pelt if someone wants to go halves.

I'd be happy with half a back if someone really wants the head.

Sure thing! Will run there tonight or tomorrow night and see what they have in stock. their website is http://jerryssportinggoodsllc.com/ but I don't think you can buy from their site, would probably have to call them.