While I do enjoy a dram or two of Scotch, I tend to consume it more for "occasions"

My drink of choice is the Irish distillate, as well as Bourbon.

My "go to" favorites?

Irish - Feckin (I was initially drawn to it, by the novelty of its name, but I have found that I enjoy it, as my "value" Irish whiskey)

Bourbon - Heaven Hill (Ok, this stuff is cheap as sin, but, regardless, it is a smooth, flavorful straight bourbon)

My "when company arrives" favorites:

Irish - Clontarf (can't always find it, in my area, but worth the search)

Bourbon - Maker's Mark (Yeah, it's a bit cliche, but I've never known anyone to turn their nose up, to it)

How do I consume my "aqua vitae"?

Depends: Neat, with a twist, or splash of cola (never any ice), it all hinges upon the setting & my mood.

So... any other Irish/Bourbon drinkers in the room?

I am a Jameson fan myself and prefer the Jameson Gold Reserve most of all.

Used to be a big fan of Jack Daniels but have since lost my taste for it

Knowing it is my favorite, my wife gets me a bottle of Bushmills Black Bush each year for Christmas.

Been really getting into some http://www.tullamoredew.com/ lately. I have a bottle of the 10 year reserve right now, and it's vert nice. I do think that I like the original better.

Been really getting into some http://www.tullamoredew.com/ lately. I have a bottle of the 10 year reserve right now, and it's vert nice. I do think that I like the original better.

Tullamore Dew was my first venture into Whisk(e)y 35 years ago. I like it more, than blended scotch. I had a bottle of Connemara once. Connemara is

now more to my palate than Tullamore Dew.

Red Breast is also a nice irish whiskey, but a is a little bit too tame for me. The wife liked it very much, though she also likes peated malts (rare for women).

If you look for something for the ladies that don't like malts, you should consider adding Red breast to your bar.

For State side products I enjoy Woodford Reserve and for the Irish side of things I enjoy Jameson as well as Tullamore Dew.

I'm with Amadan on the whisky-it's hard to beat Makers Mark. My brother lives in Ky and sends me a bottle for Christmas occasionally.

If you guys like Makers Mark, then you need to go to their site and join the Ambasadors club. It is free, they claim to put ypour name (with a few others) on a barrell, and they send you a Christmas gift each year. Last year it was molds to make spherical ice balls, this year it was a Christmas sweater to keep your bottle warm.

irish: Clontarf single malt, Knappogue Castle single malt, Redbreast, Michael collins, Jamesons, Bush Black, and most recently Bushmills single malt. Love them all, all different, though.

Although I have Maker's, Wild Turkey, Four Roses, and Woodford Reserve, just have not developed a taste yet for bourbon, despinte living in the heart of bourbon country.

If you guys like Makers Mark, then you need to go to their site and join the Ambasadors club. It is free, they claim to put ypour name (with a few others) on a barrell, and they send you a Christmas gift each year. Last year it was molds to make spherical ice balls, this year it was a Christmas sweater to keep your bottle warm.

Yep, been in the club since the 90s.

Received some cool stuff, too - glasses, shakers, etc.

They must spend a fortune, on marketing.

Pendleton is the schniz for domestic whiskey, and I really do like me some Jameson. I much prefer Irish whiskey to Scotch. Laophraig is some pretty nice scotch, though.

I was turned on to Michael Collins earlier this year by a prior-service Marine. We were having a chat about military service when he offered me a shot of MC. I've never tasted a better whiskey, and that includes every American-made product. It's as dry as the dessert and doesn't have that bland aftertaste like Highland Mist.

I wish I could, but I never acquired a taste for whiskey of any type.

Irish - I drank a lot of Jamesons when I was in Ireland the last time. I do have to agree with Amadan that Feckin' Irish Whiskey is very drinkable. It was being served at one of the local shops for Irishfest. Not bad and makes a decent Irish coffee.

Bourbon - My go to bourbon is Woodford Reserve, with Maker's Mark a very close second. For a less pricey bourbon, I will have to say my favorite is Jim Beam Black Label. Only the black, the white label is cheap well whiskey and barely fit to drink.

Now about Whisky.........................

Sorry, but there is such a variety of exquisite Scot Single Malts out there that I'll never need to tread on foreign soil for new delights, whisky-wise.

I don't care for the Islay and Islands briny peat and smoke monsters, but the Speysides and Highlanders (be still my pounding heart) are indeed the Nectar of the Gods. Current favorites are The Dalmore and Dalwhinnie. To quote a Scot character in Return to Lonesome Dove... "Smells like heather, tastes like honey."

Why would one look outside of (the real) Eden for the finest fruit? :wink:

• Like 1

Current favorites are The Dalmore and Dalwhinnie.

Dalwhinnie is my absolute favorite Scotch.

Not much for the smoke & peat variety, either.

Haven't tried Dalmore, yet.

• Like 1

I've been sipping from a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 for a while now. It has just a light touch of smoke and peat (unusual for a Highlander) - more in the nose than on the palate - but is so very smooth that it has none of the objectionabe pepper or medicine in the finish. The flavors of the Dalwhinnie don't shout - they whisper like a bonnie Highland lassie's warm breath in your ear. :wink:

The Dalmore 12 is a tad sweeter and a bit more flavorful with malt apparent, a chocolate-java hint and a pleasant sherry note, but no trace of peat or smoke. It also is silky smooth, especially for a 12-year-old. I am anxious to try the 15, as my budget permits.

I discovered Feckin a few years ago. I was at a bar with a couple of friends helping with a photoshoot. One of the models asked the bartender for a whisky and he gave him a Feckin Spiced. He didn't like it, and was going to pitch it, but I hate to see alcohol go to waste so I rescued it and tried it. Fell in love. Ended up drinking the entire bottle that day/night at the bar (not good for your wallet let me tell you). Loved it ever since, its like whisky candy.