Sign in to follow this  
Lonnie Cox

Tdk 5.11 April Fools Joke Is On Them

Friends in the 5.11 Tactical Community,

About a month ago our lead designer, Cory Nykoluk, came to me with the idea to have some fun on April 1st with a 5.11 Tactical Duty Kilt. "We've had a number of requests for kilts, so why not make one?" Cory had enlisted our creative services director, Matt Frederick and our director of ecommerce, Brian Rogers. I gave the project a green light with the commander's guidance to make the "TDK" a true 5.11 product supported by a proper launch. Operational security was strict as only about 6 people inside 5.11 knew about this project. In fact, the only reference in meetings and e-mails was to "Project Caber."

Our close friend Kyle Lamb, President of Viking Tactics, was briefed and signed on immediately. It turned out he was about to attend a Dropkick Murphys concert. Perfect timing as band member, Scruffy Wallace, is a kiltsman who plays bagpipes and the tin whistle in a VTAC T-shirt. The final piece needed was an athlete/first responder to demonstrate the mobility of the TDK. Matt Frederick called Roman, a veteran duty sheriff and Parkour athlete and we were rolling.

Last week, when we reviewed the video footage of Roman leaping walls in the TDK - it was clear - we had achieved the goal of making a Kilt true to the 5.11 brand. There was a collective "uh-oh, we only have one kilt in inventory!" On Saturday, March 31st, I called 5.11 Tactical founder, Dan Costa, to tip him off. His response: "Be ready, you're going to sell some kilts!"

Indeed, the Tactical Duty Kilt launch was a success, so it seems the April Fool's Day joke is on us! Due to your positive response, we are pleased to announce that the Tactical Duty Kilt will become available for pre-orders soon on the following web page:http://www.511tactical.com/Tactical-Duty-Kilt.html. We don't plan to make the TDK an "in-line" product, so this is a limited time, web only offer. If you haven't already signed up for notifications on when this product becomes available for purchase, please do so now athttp://www.511tactical.com/Tactical-Duty-Kilt.html and give us your name and e-mail address in the form located on the right-hand side of the page. We plan on sending out 1 more email to those that have given us their information to confirm size and color and other important ordering details.

5.11 Tactical Duty Kilts will be available in Black, Khaki, and OD Green (MultiCam will be offered at a slightly higher price) in even waist sizes 30- 40 for a very limited time - don't miss out. Remember we only have one in inventory today, so we'll need some time to make them for you!

Thanks for your friendship, sense of humor and support of 5.11 Tactical. I'm signing off to place my Tactical Duty Kilt order!

TomDavin_sig.gif

Tom Davin

CEO, 5.11 Tactical

I was never impressed with companies trying to make fools of their customers on 1st of April. Making someone look stupid, is childish be it on the play ground or online. I missed your ads but thankfully you alerted me to your companies treatment of its customers, so I am warned. Again thanks for the heads up.

It's not may companies or my ad. It's a post that was on here a day or two ago. I looked into what everyone was saying about it being a joke. An found that it was true, but now they are going to make it for sale. I'm sorry you don't have a sense of humor, you would think a mean in a skirt would. I for one will be laughing my 5.11 tdk wearing butt all around town. As I will have two of these babies. the point is we as a group had made them change their minds and thats a win for the BotK!!!!!!!

Not a win in my book its a loss of dignity as a company makes fools of its customers from where I am sitting.

I have a sense of humour but do not like companies who take the pizzle out of their customers. There is a vast difference. One is not approving of a lack of respect the other is having a laugh.

I put my name down for one. if it is a good product...score. if not...score. I can always use another knockaround kilt for when the kids are especially messy.

So what color is everyone getting? I'm looking at Green made the khaki just because I don't have a khaki kilt.

Khaki and multicam sound good to me.

I think it is profoundly meaningful that a company that sells to the toughest of men and women were so publicly reminded that a kilt is not a joke. They will forever see kilts and kiltmen differently. And, yes, I still WANT one of those kilts, particularly if they can actually sell them for $59 ... to my knowledge there is no other utility kilt out there for less that about $150.

You know what, I am NOT going to get one of these. They thought it was a joke. I am not going to support that. I am going to contact the Needle Pimp and buy a custom made bad-ass kilt, and support a Brother.

I think it is profoundly meaningful that a company that sells to the toughest of men and women were so publicly reminded that a kilt is not a joke. They will forever see kilts and kiltmen differently. And, yes, I still WANT one of those kilts, particularly if they can actually sell them for $59 ... to my knowledge there is no other utility kilt out there for less that about $150.

UTkilts are the same price and they are BotK Merchant.

But with that being said there is no other kilt out there for the price that has everything this offers. I'm not missing out. I pproud that we got them to change their minds and make it.

Signed up

Now they need to add a wide nylon belt to go with it.

I have a couple of the 5.11 belts for work and J*&n and its one of the nice ones I have seen

I recieved a phone call from a 5.11 rep in reference to this article.

I have placed my name on the list for an olive green and a multicam. She advised me that it may take some time to get everything rolling, and get them made, but they are going for it.

Now the jonesing begins.

I am on the list for the Kakhi, might add an olive green.

hutch863, just got the notice there will be no multicam! :watch5:

Yep. I was really hoping for the multi-cam!