buyakilt.com

Interested In Becoming An Official Merchant

Hello!

We're interested in becoming an official merchant of this forum and understand that members vote on who becomes an official merchant.

We're new to the forum so I'm not sure if anyone here will know about us or not. We've been selling kilts online for just over 8 years now and aim to provide a wide range of options of kilts and accessories.

Our main focus is providing great customer service. We all love what we do and we try to treat our customers in the same way. We recently started working with Trustpilot so that customers can share their experiences shopping with us on an independent forum, and we're pretty happy with the feedback so far. You can check them out here: http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/buyakilt.com

Not sure how much to write here - there's lots of info about us and what we do on our website, and we're also on twitter and Facebook for the social side of things.

Let me know if you have any questions, or would like to know anything else about us.

Regards,

Fergus

did you email your interest on becoming a merchant to kt@kiltsrock.com, he is the founder.

he spoke with me earlier and is introducing himself to everyone :)

Well, after poking around on the website a bit, it looks like Fergus has lots of good stuff to offer. I, as always, just hope that merchants be present here at the Forum if they are going to be an Official Merchant.

As Tony said above, I have no issue with anyone becoming a merchant, providing they contribute to the forums rather than join the brotherhood simply to sell their product

I see on your site you sell b0xer$ what are these boxers?

nice to have a new merchant but d@mn.. it would sure be nice to see some new PRODUCT! 3000 kilt merchants on the web selling the same old and tired PC and Argyle jacket in the same old and tired colours.. the same socks, the same sporrans, the same belts and buckles.. the same old, same old..

seriously, if the merchants want some fresh business give us some fresh product.. I'm bored with the stuff I bought 30 years ago!

i think it is interesting that he has been a forum member for 26 months and his only post is to introduce himself and announce he wants to be a merchant where has been the last 2+ years?

I forgot to set up notifications for updates on the topic, so am just reading all the responses now.

To be honest, I think that I'm unlikely to win any prizes for the regularity of my posting on the forum. However, I'm not sure if I see the value of that approach.

I think that I see benefit in that it gives you guys another option of a kilt store with a relatively large range of products, where you get a reasonable discount. I appreciate that as afreegreek mentions, there is a relatively limited pool of manufacturers in our industry, therefore some of the products we sell can be found on other people's sites, but also some of them cannot.

I also think that it gives everyone in the forum an opportunity to interact with me in a public place, and I see value in that. As with our Trustpilot service we're keen to be as open and honest about what we do as possible, as I believe that we provide great service.

From my personal point of view, as a forum member, I'm not sure that I would want myself (or other business owners) heavily involved in my conversations. I think that my position means that I'm inclined to sell myself and degrade my competitors (though I don't do that). If I was doing this solely for business then I'm certainly incentivised to do so.

Therefore I think that in my opinion, a good thriving forum is about the members having discussions, not the businesses promoting themselves. I think that business owners provide a valuable addition to that, to get involved in conversations that relate to them, or to provide expert advice when called upon.

From that point of view I'm happy to fulfil that role - be available should anyone want to discuss anything, and I'm also happy to extend the suggested discount of 10% to any member regardless of our status as an official merchant.

Let me know your thoughts on that. Perhaps I misunderstand the role of being a more involved member?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In response to specific comments:

@KiltedTexan - well you know, some people like to wear something under their kilts! We're actually just about to publish a piece on what people wear under their kilts so would love some feedback on what people do wear under them!

@afreegreek - Unfortunately we're in a relatively niche industry, so the number of manufacturers is relatively limited. We try to work with as wide a range as possible, and as a result, we do have some products that are not readily available in other stores. However, I also think that controversy of imitation items over the last few years has spurred on many manufacturers to innovate and we regularly see companies coming out with new designs and new styles as a result.

@treenutt - I was as surprised as you! I went to join yesterday and it said I was already a member! I don't recall joining the first time and didn't have a note of the login details in my Passpack account so had to request the username/password. Perhaps consider yesterday as my real date of joining?

I understand this is a niche market, I also understand there is a limited amount of suppliers.. my problem is that limited amount of suppliers has been pawning off the same stuff since my Grand Dad was a kid.. my only reason to buy new hose is because there's holes in my old ones, and not because there's a nice new colour or design that tickles my fancy.. like I said in my rant.. this is a niche market mostly because the suppliers are stuck in the mud of "nothing to see here'.. I'm not surprised that the 20 somethings aren't going out and buying kilts.. do they really want to look like their Grand Dad? I'm 50 and I've been to three weddings in my life, do I really need another Prince Charlie, or a new sporran that looks great with none of my jackets, or 10 pairs of the same colour hose?

And then there's the stuff like Eric's hiking sticks/clan signs/ arved kilt pins etc which are truly unique. Donnie & Turpin's unique sporrans. True custom sgians, like mine & Dracs. I dont think you can say everyone is selling the same stuff. All a merchant needs is a couple of new & interesting items to set him apart from the herd of sellers that are on ebay and ARE selling the same Chinese & Pakistani products. If Fergus can bring only one or two interesting products to the mix, it's worthwhile for everyone.

And whether or not you like what the merchant sells or not, this isn't really the place to **** on them about it. They approached KT asked to be a merchant, KT puts it out there, and now this fellow Fergus gets his business **** on by someone who doesn't like what they sell? Not a cool move.

And whether or not you like what the merchant sells or not, this isn't really the place to **** on them about it. They approached KT asked to be a merchant, KT puts it out there, and now this fellow Fergus gets his business **** on by someone who doesn't like what they sell? Not a cool move.

I'm not crapping on the 'new guy' I'm crapping on the people who supply the 'new guy' and every other guy with the same tired old stuff.. while there are 'merchants' on this site that do have unique stuff they are not really merchants but rather artisans and craftsmen.. my point is that I have stuff that's over 30 years old and I can still find the exact same article on a dozen sites in less than 5 minutes.. the bottom line is, if you want some of my money you had better have something that I haven't seen a thousand times before because I didn't buy it then, so I'm not about to buy it now.. perhaps if more people voiced their boredom with things it might be different and we could have a friggin' jacket to wear that isn't a Prince Charlie or hacked up blazer..

btw, Brooks Brothers is having a summer clearance sale.. I bought over a thousand dollars worth of clothing from them in the last few weeks.. none of that thousand dollars went to a kilt merchant and it isn't because I'm not interested in kilt stuff.. it's because they have nothing of interest to me on offer.. it's as simple as that.. so here I am, a guy with money to spend on nice things and a love for kilts and dressing well... what are the kilt merchants going to do to get me to spend some of my money in their establishments??

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If a merchant doesn't carry something unique enough for you, don't visit his store or buy from him. It's perfectly okay for you to have your opinion about how little variety is available, (and I agree that you do have a point), but don't do it in a potential new vendor's post. This guy has not done anything to you, and doesn't deserve to be crapped on. You may not mean to be doing it, but that is the way it comes across to most of us, which is why you are getting the responses you are.

Just a couple words to ponder.

I'm not crapping on the 'new guy' I'm crapping on the people who supply the 'new guy' and every other guy with the same tired old stuff.. while there are 'merchants' on this site that do have unique stuff they are not really merchants but rather artisans and craftsmen.. my point is that I have stuff that's over 30 years old and I can still find the exact same article on a dozen sites in less than 5 minutes.. the bottom line is, if you want some of my money you had better have something that I haven't seen a thousand times before because I didn't buy it then, so I'm not about to buy it now.. perhaps if more people voiced their boredom with things it might be different and we could have a friggin' jacket to wear that isn't a Prince Charlie or hacked up blazer..

btw, Brooks Brothers is having a summer clearance sale.. I bought over a thousand dollars worth of clothing from them in the last few weeks.. none of that thousand dollars went to a kilt merchant and it isn't because I'm not interested in kilt stuff.. it's because they have nothing of interest to me on offer.. it's as simple as that.. so here I am, a guy with money to spend on nice things and a love for kilts and dressing well... what are the kilt merchants going to do to get me to spend some of my money in their establishments??

I think that afreegreek has a fair point, and I think that it's likely that others share the same view. One of the things that hasn't been mentioned thus far is the tradition that also surrounds the industry. I remember seeing black chrome being first introduced a few years ago, and it took a good couple of years before it became more mainstream and readily available. I think that the pace with which an industry innovates and evolves is tied to how strongly the industry is rooted in tradition.

The electronics industry is very modern and changes enormously quickly, but ours isn't. It's based on small manufacturers that make a small selection of products, often in remote locations to traditional designs. Those very characteristics make it much more difficult to innovate. If we all worked together in a silicon valley-esque circumstance, perhaps there may be more innovation and competition.

However, I thoroughly agree that new ranges of products are most welcome. Our site automatically sorts products by popularity, so often new products end up a bit further from the first page, until they get a few sales. I hope this isn't seen as spamming, but a few examples of interesting (relatively) new products that you may not have seen elsewhere: buckle, kilt pin, sporran.

I'll take on board what you've said and give pass it onto our manufacturers at the next opportunity.

If a merchant doesn't carry something unique enough for you, don't visit his store or buy from him. It's perfectly okay for you to have your opinion about how little variety is available, (and I agree that you do have a point), but don't do it in a potential new vendor's post. This guy has not done anything to you, and doesn't deserve to be crapped on. You may not mean to be doing it, but that is the way it comes across to most of us, which is why you are getting the responses you are.

Just a couple words to ponder.

I'm not interested in what others think or feel about what I say... I say what I think and I mean what I say.. by the way, is this your signature? "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

Huh. An hour ago you said you were taking the invitation to leave. No surprise to see you posting more drivel.

(null)

I think that afreegreek has a fair point, and I think that it's likely that others share the same view. One of the things that hasn't been mentioned thus far is the tradition that also surrounds the industry. I remember seeing black chrome being first introduced a few years ago, and it took a good couple of years before it became more mainstream and readily available. I think that the pace with which an industry innovates and evolves is tied to how strongly the industry is rooted in tradition.

The electronics industry is very modern and changes enormously quickly, but ours isn't. It's based on small manufacturers that make a small selection of products, often in remote locations to traditional designs. Those very characteristics make it much more difficult to innovate. If we all worked together in a silicon valley-esque circumstance, perhaps there may be more innovation and competition.

However, I thoroughly agree that new ranges of products are most welcome. Our site automatically sorts products by popularity, so often new products end up a bit further from the first page, until they get a few sales. I hope this isn't seen as spamming, but a few examples of interesting (relatively) new products that you may not have seen elsewhere: buckle, kilt pin, sporran.

I'll take on board what you've said and give pass it onto our manufacturers at the next opportunity.

well it seems you are one who is grasping what I'm saying... it's true, it's a very tradition based industry but... is it stuck in tradition because there's a small market or is there a small market because it's stuck in tradition?.. that's the question... I think the answer is the latter... Black Tie formal wear is also rooted in tradition however, I can go online and without even trying, find dozens of Tuxedo and Dinner Jackets in different styles from Victorian to 21st century... there is no such choice in kilt jackets.. it's basically a PC or an Argyle or nothing.. how are you going to sell a $600 kilt to a young guy and not provide a few choices in jackets to go with it? I'm 50 and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been anywhere a PC is an appropriate garment.. am I supposed to show up in a local pub on saturday night in the kilted equivalent of Black Tie or should I just hang the kilt in the closet until the next wedding I attend? maybe I'll just put on a T-shirt and some sneakers instead... at least I'll get some use out of the kilts I spent a small fortune on.. anyway. I'm just being sarcastic.. I have lots of clothes to wear with my kilts but none of it can really be worn with a sporran.. it's a shame because I have some nice sporrans and to me a sporran is half the kilt..

This is quickly devolving into a personal fight. Please clean it up.

I'm not interested in what others think or feel about what I say... I say what I think and I mean what I say.. by the way, is this your signature? "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

I'm not asking you to change how you feel, nor even what you say. All I'm saying is not to do it in a way that craps on someone else. Many here have agreed that you have a point, and your post in the other thread has led to some good points and discussion. That is where this entire conversation belongs. But buyakilt.com didn't invite your opinions about the state of the industry in his introduction. By continuing this diatribe here (and I'm guilty as well) we are highjacking the original thread, and that's just not cool.

I'm kinda thinking, that if buyakilt has stayed for this conversation, even after the attacks on the industry, and the bantering by otherwise civil individuals, he has shown a good amount of commitment to the group and the kilt in general. He gets my nod...

(null)

I'm kinda thinking, that if buyakilt has stayed for this conversation, even after the attacks on the industry, and the bantering by otherwise civil individuals, he has shown a good amount of commitment to the group and the kilt in general. He gets my nod...

(null)

where's the "like" button?

so... we can chalk it up to hazing? :watch5:

Ditto.

Ditto, ditto.