afreegreek

A Rambling Rant

I've been thinking for a while today about kilt stuff.. there's a 'new merchant' coming into the forum and while he has some nice stuff, he's got nothing that you can't find at one of the other 10,000 scottish/kilt shops on the net... or worse yet, bought thirty years ago through a local shop that sent away to scotland for the very same items they're flogging today...

I guess my point is that.. I"M BORED WITH IT! you can find 10,000 tartans in every possible colour combination going but that's where it ends.. hose are light green or dark green, light blue or dark blue, white, grey or black and that's about it with a few exceptions.. coats? everyone needs a coat most days of the year and there's 4 or 5 different choices? all too formal for a trip to anywhere but a wedding or something of the sort.. either that or you look like a dork.. (sorry no offence) but seriously, there's a reason kilts are not very popular and it's not because it's a "skirt", it's because it's been relegated to weddings and Ren fairs because nobody has spent a dime on coming up with some cool, up to date stuff to wear with the kilt.. for example, I have a lot of very cool dress socks that would look super if they were long enough, I have blazers that look sharp with a kilt too but because of the cut it's "ditch the sporran" time.. over the years it's gotten to the point that I'm not even wearing a kilt, I'm wearing a skirt as almost nothing else I wear has anything to do with kilts except the hose.. I alway wear hose..

anyway, there's a huge canvas out there that's still blank.. I don't understand it really because a kilt is the only garment that I can think of that can go from the street to the trail to a wedding.. you'd think someone would be trying to come up with something other that a friggin' Prince Charlie to wear with it.. obviously it won't be a huge market but there's a market for Prince Charlie so why not Prince William?? is it really that hard to design a nice jacket that fits the casual or business casual look and still work with a sporran? is it really that hard to dye hose in a few extra colours or maybe a pattern down the side? I guess so.. Rant off

so what say yee?

I see your point, and agree some fresh merch would be nice. There are several sites that if you just gave me the inventory list I couldnt tell you the differance. There has to be something new that could worn with a kilt. Lets brainstorm brothers.

very good points afreegeek. I happened to buy a waist length duster at a yard sale several years ago. I never knew what I was going to do with it, but now I think it will go great with a kilt this winter. There definitely needs to be more choices. My wife is an amateur seamstress, I'll have to talk to her about seeing what we can come up with.

Most people looking for kilts or kilt related accessories are wearing them for weddings, pipe bands, or other such "costume" type wear. So most kilt shops are going to cater to them. It makes sense. Why would they purchase or stock items that a couple dozen people out there may like. That's not a good way to make money. Business is about making money.

As far as what new to wear with a kilt? Anything. I just substitute a kilt for p@nt$ and go with it. Whether it is a dress shirt or a tshirt, just wear what you want. Shoes? I wear Chuck Taylors with mine. Or Vans. Or Combat boots. I don't wear hose, they look silly to me unless it's a more dress up type look you're going for.

Anyhow, instead of looking for a business that sells traditional kilt stuff to be creative, take a look in the mirror and BE creative. It's much more rewarding.

Lots of cool kilt hose from the national tartan museum in pretty much any color combination you want but it ain't cheap- unique sporrans and sgian's here from Drac, Raptor, Turpin and Donnie.......

But I do agree with your point on the jackets especially- it would be cool to have something a little or a lot more casual...... and something- anything entirely new is overdue!!!

Most people looking for kilts or kilt related accessories are wearing them for weddings, pipe bands, or other such "costume" type wear. So most kilt shops are going to cater to them. It makes sense. Why would they purchase or stock items that a couple dozen people out there may like. That's not a good way to make money. Business is about making money.

As far as what new to wear with a kilt? Anything. I just substitute a kilt for p@nt$ and go with it. Whether it is a dress shirt or a tshirt, just wear what you want. Shoes? I wear Chuck Taylors with mine. Or Vans. Or Combat boots. I don't wear hose, they look silly to me unless it's a more dress up type look you're going for.

Anyhow, instead of looking for a business that sells traditional kilt stuff to be creative, take a look in the mirror and BE creative. It's much more rewarding.

oh I see... so McDonalds hasn't made any changes to their menu? Levis hasn't added to their range of clothing? jeans were once for work in the mines and fields.. now they are a basic in everyone's wardrobe including the sharp dressed business man.. last time I checked you could buy jeans up to and over $500 a pair.. business is about making money alright,, it's usually done by being innovative and capturing market share..

besides, I didn't spend $600 a pop for kilts to be worn with sneakers and T-shirts.. I got $20 jeans for that... when I wear my kilt it's because I want to dress nice and go out on the town..

Maybe you are on to something. Start yourself a business. Design some new clothing. Market it. Sell it. Otherwise, ranting about it and stirring the pot here isn't going to fix your problem. You know, there's another forum out there that has a lot of people who probably look at things a lot more like you do.

Maybe you are on to something. Start yourself a business. Design some new clothing. Market it. Sell it. Otherwise, ranting about it and stirring the pot here isn't going to fix your problem. You know, there's another forum out there that has a lot of people who probably look at things a lot more like you do.

the site intro says this is a kilt related discussion forum, if you have a problem with what kilt related topics I choose to discuss then feel free to ignore my posts.. there's a button you can click so you never have to see another word I say.. see, I'm not a 'go along to get along' kind of guy.. if I see something I like I say so, if I see something I don't like, I say so... if you got a problem with that then hit the button..

Lots of cool kilt hose from the national tartan museum in pretty much any color combination you want but it ain't cheap- unique sporrans and sgian's here from Drac, Raptor, Turpin and Donnie.......

But I do agree with your point on the jackets especially- it would be cool to have something a little or a lot more casual...... and something- anything entirely new is overdue!!!

sure you can get anything you want if you want to spend some serious money on handcrafted items from artisans like the ones you mention, that's a given.. what I'm talking about is the 'stardard' Scottish merchant like Scotsweb etc.. in Vancouver we have several of them and they all sell the same items from the same manufacturers.. but for the name on the door, you can't tell one from the other...wouldn't it be nice to go in one day and see a few styles of jacket.. or a few more choices of belt? or a kilt pin that isn't a sword or a clan crest? the way I see it is they've severely limited their potential customer base to weddings, pipe bands and Robby Burns dinners because their creativity level is somewhere around ZERO.. kilts at one time were an every day clothing item.. that should still be the case but it's not.. I wear a kilt a lot and the second most common question is "what's the occasion?"..

the site intro says this is a kilt related discussion forum, if you have a problem with what kilt related topics I choose to discuss then feel free to ignore my posts.. there's a button you can click so you never have to see another word I say.. see, I'm not a 'go along to get along' kind of guy.. if I see something I like I say so, if I see something I don't like, I say so... if you got a problem with that then hit the button..

Hey, no offense but you are responding to a valued long time member of this community with what seems a touch of attitude.

YOU may choose not to wear a kilt with jeans and a T-shirt, of course I have never spent $600 on a kilt, but others do. My perception here is we are a much more live and let live community. And as stated, there is a Traditionally Made Kilts & How To Wear Them forum on another board. I find a lot of diversity on this board and I like that. Many members have open my mind with their thoughts and ideas. Ignoring users creates a fractured community and I would prefer not to have that.

..wouldn't it be nice to go in one day and see a few styles of jacket.. or a few more choices of belt? or a kilt pin that isn't a sword or a clan crest? the way I see it is they've severely limited their potential customer base to weddings, pipe bands and Robby Burns dinners because their creativity level is somewhere around ZERO.. kilts at one time were an every day clothing item.. that should still be the case but it's not.. I wear a kilt a lot and the second most common question is "what's the occasion?"..

Well if you are in Vancouver, VMac is in Washington State and she has created 2 beautiful jackets for me from thrift shops finds at great value. If you search the threads I am sure you will find several examples.

Hey, no offense but you are responding to a valued long time member of this community with what seems a touch of attitude.

YOU may choose not to wear a kilt with jeans and a T-shirt, of course I have never spent $600 on a kilt, but others do. My perception here is we are a much more live and let live community. And as stated, there is a Traditionally Made Kilts & How To Wear Them forum on another board. I find a lot of diversity on this board and I like that. Many members have open my mind with their thoughts and ideas. Ignoring users creates a fractured community and I would prefer not to have that.

attitude? I responded to a comment that basically said "I don't want to hear it".. that doesn't sound so "live and let live" or "open minded" to me.. furthermore, it was ended with what basically amounts to an invite to leave this forum and go elsewhere.. so who is it that has the attitude?

Well if you are in Vancouver, VMac is in Washington State and she has created 2 beautiful jackets for me from thrift shops finds at great value. If you search the threads I am sure you will find several examples.

I'm in Vancouver, British Columbia

Throwing out one's tenure on the board followed an invite to leave is pretty classless.

Calling yourself valued is pretty arrogant.

The OP started a valid thread.

If this forum is only going to talk about the same tired topics over and over then it will die as people lose interest.

"I bought a new kilt. Look at me"

"what color hose..."

"how thick of a belt..."

"prince Charlie at a funeral?"

"I was at the mall and some guy called it a skirt"

"all the teenagers gave me high fives"

I have to weigh in here, Jay. If I read it right, Joe didn't claim HE was a valued member, he said that Tony was, & that's a valid point, he's been here a long time. I do think Afreegreek has a valid point regarding new styles, but there's a countering argument there too. As most of you know, although I have lived in Australia most of my life, I was born in Scotland, & it is as a Highlander I offer my opinion. If some find it unpopular, I guess thats the way it is.

There are very few variations in Highland dress, and if the kilt (including the English variant) HADN'T been adopted as our National Dress, I daresay there may well have been a bigger variety. However, the kilt & it's associated garments ARE our National Dress, & as such viewed by the Scots with a pride & reverence unmatched by any other people regardless of HOW much they may love the kilt. It has to be remembered that centuries of Scottish soldiers have fought, died, & buried their comrades in these garments. It's taken around over a century for the kilt to viewed as acceptable attire for the football (& then it's pretty much only worn by the hooligan element except for world cups). In a similar vein the vast majority of Scots dont view "modern" kilts as a kilt at all.

I assume Afreegreek,by your name that you are of at least partial Greek descent. Would you suggest to the Acropolis guard that they try wearing a different jacket with their ceremonial uniform, because that may encourage more young Greeks to wear the Greek kilt? We Scots feel (at least to a degree) that the 5 or 6 jackets we traditionally wear with the kilt to be more than adequate for most occasions we would find ourselves in. The country's youth have bucked tradition & added rugby tops, Tshirts, combat boots etc to the mix, & it has become a valid style. The main "Scottish" part though, the kilt itself, has NOT changed, which may sum up the Scottish view of the subject. Indeed, the kilt is something of a rarity in Scotland, being only seen at weddings funerals, formal turns & the football. The ONLY time you will see Scotsmen wearing the kilt around the cities as an everyday item, you'll generally find they are gang members, & in the Lowland cities they are generally mocked as a Teuchter (basically a "redneck").

So, basically, if you wish there were more options to wear with your kilt, there are. They are limited only by your imagination. It DOESN'T matter if it's not a traditional garment as the very fact that you are wearing a kilt as an everyday garment is very untraditional in it's own right. Trying to get merchants to stock or invent new kilt-related garments in these circumstances is actually counter-productive to the niche they are trying to cater to.

Man with the amount of acid and bs on this thread someone needs to step in and lock the tthread before we have a full on riot here

i was thinking it would be funny/cool if we had a BOTK Patch we could do like some MC's do. If I am ever lucky enough to get a botk shirt i might get a Texas rocker ironed on under the badge. Im sure there has to be something new under the sun for the kilt. We just have to think.

Seems to be one of the big issues is the cut difference between the traditional kilt jackets and those for p@nt$. While I'm sure that there could be more varity on kilts jackets they will never be interchangable with those for p@nt$. Now if all you wore were to be some of the modern pant cut kilts you could but I have to agree (even though I do wear modern kilts) that this style is so far from the traditional that it is becoming an apples and oranges thing.

Jim

Throwing out one's tenure on the board followed an invite to leave is pretty classless.

Calling yourself valued is pretty arrogant.

The OP started a valid thread.

If this forum is only going to talk about the same tired topics over and over then it will die as people lose interest.

"I bought a new kilt. Look at me"

"what color hose..."

"how thick of a belt..."

"prince Charlie at a funeral?"

"I was at the mall and some guy called it a skirt"

"all the teenagers gave me high fives"

Jay:

Chilli was correct, I was not stating my tenure but Tony's. Tony has been here and a contributor to the board for a long time.

I do consider Tony to be a valued member of the community. He has provided a lot to many threads and awesome pics.

I was also NOT suggesting someone leave BOTK just suggesting on one very specific topic there was a place with people

who are avid about that topic.

I hope that clarifies things a little I did not mean to cause the level of upset that seems to have occured. If you look at my very

next post I suggested a merchant who does an awesome job converting thrift store find jackets. I hardly think that was a sign

that I was trying to give someone a hard time.

Thanks for the chance to explain!

Please steer this away from personal attacks and back on track to something close to a real discussion.

kilted texan maybe kt can design that on cafe press which is where i get my botk shirts from, the link is the the announcements forum

oh I see... so McDonalds hasn't made any changes to their menu? Levis hasn't added to their range of clothing?<snip>.. last time I checked you could buy jeans up to and over $500 a pair.. business is about making money alright,, it's usually done by being innovative <snip>..

yes, McDonalds changes their menu. But will they ever drop the Big Mac or their fries? Doubtful. That is their core. Sure, they try new things, but in the end, they can't go far from their core. The new thing here is spicy mcbites. they are just small chicken nuggets that are spicier. They didn't lead the way. Wendys had spicy chicken for years, they had spicy nuggets for a while, Ralleys/Checkers has chicken bites, which might be able to be traced back to Popcorn chicken or even popcorn shrimp. I don't expect McDonalds to come out with a lobster and shrimp platter, nor do I expect Taco Bell to sell me a quarter pound burger patty. (though attempting something like a sloppy joe with their taco meat might happen)

besides, I didn't spend $600 a pop for kilts to be worn with sneakers and T-shirts.. I got $20 jeans for that... when I wear my kilt it's because I want to dress nice and go out on the town..

Granted, if you are wearing a $600 kilt, you will want better stuff for it. But what about those wearing $100 or less kilts? What about the $50~$75 range of modern (north american style) kilts? I'm not about to put a $200 jacket atop my $75 UT kilt. That gets a T-shirt. A $600 kilt is not a pair of jeans, they are a pair of dress p@nt$, and you wouldn't wear a wife-beater with those. Most of us here have various kilts, some have $50 ones, some have $1000 ones.

I've always maintained that the kilt is a garment. Period.

It's a piece of cloth, who's function is to provide protection and modesty.

Unless you are attending a social/historical function, that has strict attire protocols, dress what's right for you.

Innovate.

Several of our members have mixed & matched all sorts of untraditional accessories, into a look that is downright impressive and snappy.

As for vendors selling something "new & fresh": someone has to innovate that marketable item, to make it viable. Simple economics.