Drac

Backyard Critters

Hi all,

Get a lot of critters in my backyard for all that I live in the suberbs. Here are a couple I've manage to catch -

A few hawks -

Hawk02.jpg

A close up -

Hawk01.jpg

A northern bobwhite -

Backyardbirdy01.jpg

Haven't manage to get them on camera yet but we also have a large flock of green parakeets.

What other fun stuff do you guys get.

Jim

in oklahoma i get white tail deer, wild turkeys and coyotes in my yard as well.

at my house in colorado this year we have 2 bears, 5 mountain lions a pair of foxes and a couple of bull elk and some mule deer.

sorry no photos

at my house in colorado this year we have 2 bears, 5 mountain lions a pair of foxes and a couple of bull elk and some mule deer.

Wow! I would have to setup a webcam! Is that your "summer" house?

Jim

yes our summer home

Nice, I get all sorts of things in my front yard, dog is in the back, you can come in if you can outrun her. Hawks, hummingbirds, chipmonks, assorted rodents, deer and fox in the front of the house. Love living in the county.

I live on the coast in the south west corner of British Columbia.. in the yard itself we get deer, racoons, skunks and squirrels.. lots of birds most of which I have no idea what they are except for crows, hawks, sea gulls, humming birds, and the odd eagle.. lots of little ones.. where I live there's wildlife every where..

DSC01101.jpg

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I found this little guy in the trash can at the range saturday morning.

We also have some rabbits running around there that someone let loose. They are clearly domestic and have started doing what rabbits do best. More rabbits already showing up.

opossum.jpg

Nothing so exotic here. The usual assortment of songbirds (varies by season), chipmunks, squirrels, a rabbit or two, and the neighbor's cat. Our cats are all indoor-only, so they were not involved in the raccoon adventure. I've seen deer in the neighborhood, but not in my yard. I suspect at least one has found our Hostas, however, judging from the leaf damage.

Love the hawks!!!! I've had an boobook owl, a couple of birds that were pets of mine (red-tailed black cockatoos & a wedgetailed eagle), a fox (that killed the black cockatoos), an echidna, and a number of snakes & lizards, probably the most interesting of which was a redbellied black snake (deadly)

I get two beagles in my backyard when they need to go outside and bark at the wind.

I get moose all the time in the yard and Bald Eagles fly over every now and then

We have about 4 resident woodchucks, 8 racoons, 2 beavers, the occasional opossum, and birds that attract hawks and peregrine falcons.

Seeing as we live in town, you wouldn't think there would be much, but here's a little rundown. I'm sure there are a few I forget.

Raccoon, opossum, squirrels, rats, mice, toads, green water snakes, rat snakes, geckos, coyotes, red foxes, grey foxes, bobcat, skunk, red cockaded woodpeckers, hawks, falcons, doves, mockingbirds, chaparral, and various other birds. We even caught sight of a puma, which is not as surprising as it may seem, since we are on a migration route.

And more bugs than you can shake a stick at...

Cool lists. Love the pics. The moose are cute. Though maybe not up close and personal :D

We do have some of the common critters like the mice and hares. We did have the stupidest woodpecker a while back. He spent his time pecking at a metal antenna on our neighbors house.

There are bobcats all over the metro area but a lot of people go crazy with fear. At a training campus for my company there was a female that use to have litters every so often. The Game and Wildlife whould wait until the got big enough and than move the young to other areas. Use to watch the kittens play in the hawthorn bushs next to the windows. Rattle, rattle here, a paw there. Was cute. Well someone saw this and ran screaming (even though there was 3 panes of glass between him/her and them) and the company had to ask the Game and Wildlife to move her, the kits and find the father. They got moved out. Now the campus is over run with all sorts of rodents. The Raccons (cute as they are), possums (not so cute) and skunks are everywhere.

Jim

We have a few rabbits, a transient opossum, songbirds, and a squirrel.

The squirrel keeps giving me the 'stinkeye'.

I live in a residential neighborhood and I have more animals running around than are in the zoo. I have to watch that my stupid dog (15 pounds) stays away from those that could clean his clock. He tangled with a Ground Hog that was his size and for some reason the Ground Hog did not try to fight back. With a little assistance from me the Whistle Pig got away.

Mike