Sathor

Got My New Kilt Today

Got my kilt today, an Anima http://www.altkilt.com/animakilt model, and am mostly happy with it. (The only negatives I have are minor and not deal breakers of any sort.) Now, this is my first custom made kilt, and I got my order in before the prices went up. Plus, I had a coupon. A really nice coupon.

It is just a shade bigger than I hoped, and this it a mix of a few different things. When I checked on the status of my order a few weeks back, Benny mentioned something about a floating waistband and having 3 inches of adjustment. If that exist on this kilt, I sure can't figure it out. As such, I probably should have said 36" instead of 38" but it isn't falling off on it's own just yet, but I will need to get a new belt soon. (Actually, I need two new belts, since I don't want to use a black leather belt for this kilt, but my black belt is on the last hole anyways...) I think it will hold up to me losing a few more pounds, so not too worried yet. And this could happen with any kilt, be it a $50 or a $500 kilt. (being that it is done with buttons, it might well be an easy fix to add or move the buttons later on, something that would not go well with a kilt that uses snaps instead)

The removable pocket actually makes it fit a little better, but adds to a strange extra headache of sorts, to take the kilt off or put it on require getting buttons through 7 (yeah, 7) holes. 6 for the kilt itself, and the seventh is the pocket. (If I lost about 8 more pounds, I might get away with not bothering with buttons though...)

DSCF0183a

DSCF0182a

The removable pocket has a clasp, which is kinda interesting, we'll see what happens when I actually try to use it as a pocket. They seem (so far) to be done better than on my UT kilt, which have been akward at certain times, so this is a plus. The thing that looks like a pocket on the front pleat is just a bit of fabric. I really don't know what it does actually, other than a stylistic element. The stripe that appears on the Alt.Kilt page on the removable pocket panel is actually some kind of loops, not sure what they will hold, but I'm sure I can figure something out to do with them.

The material is really soft, my sons' kilts are of similar material, which I have had to wash a few times before, though this kilt suggest dry clean preferred. I will cross that bridge when I get to it. The pleats are not as deep as I am used to, but until recently, I had only worn more traditional kilts, so....

I really like the color overall, one problem I have with my other modern kilt is that it is solid black, and if I wear a black shirt, it looks like a blooming dress. I don't see that becoming a problem with this kilt, so that is a plus. The large tag on the back saying Alt.Kilt is nice to have, and it came with a few cards, which will be handy (I hope) if/when people ask about it. I have to admit, I freaked out a little when I opened the package, since Regina wraps the kilts she sells (or at least the 3 in my household came that way) with fabric, and puts a ribbon on it. For a brief moment, I freaked out that my kilt was going to be a really bright pea green. Thankfully, it wasn't.

Overall, I am not sure I would pay the current list price of $315 for another one, it is a bit steep, but it is also more artistic than other kilts. Perhaps I would go for the leather panel kilt ($30 less) or the stainless steel armored kilt ($35 more) (Though I really liked how the Anima looks, I don't think I would need two of them.) Like I said though, this isn't just a normal modern kilt, it is more like wearable art. Comparing it to, for example, a UT deluxe model (approx $65), is unfair. They may be in the same category by definition, but they are not the same. Pricewise, comparing to the 'original' Utilikilt (don't own one so it might be skewed) which the same size (well, utilikilt doesn't ask about the size of your real end) just happens to be in stock, hence not custom made, is $215, or $100 less, and lets face it, that extra $100 is all in style and presentation, and is quite worth it. I don't think I could justify the cost difference to go from UT -> Utilikilt, but I can definitly say the difference in cost from the Utilikilt -> the specialty Alt.kilts seems worth it to me.

Sitting at a booth, perhaps due to the more shallow pleats, the kilt stayed under me better than I am used to. A pleasant surprise.

That's my only complaint about my sport kilt. It's difficult to keep my pleats far enough forward when I sit down.

I have a couple AltKilts, the buttons are something you get used to in time and becomes second nature. It does help if you don't wait to the last minute to find the head, been there once a twice and it is much easier on the buttons taking your time. What you can say for sure is that there are no 2 identical Altkilts. I won't even touch a UK original for $215 to me that is robbery for an off the shelf kilt of that quality.

Wore it at the Celtic Festival today, might wear it again tomorrow, the UT has more pocket room, but I think I will get to go to the festival without the kids.

That's pretty cool Sathor. Now we need pics. :clown:

um..... not sure if there are any, see. I had the kilt made at 38" and I am now at 35"

hmmm... Mike in Dayton MIGHT have a pic. I don't remember.

(once the belt place opens, I might get a brown belt and try it on again.)

I found it:

DaytonCelticFest2012_2780c_zpse998f632.jpg

yup, that day.

yeah, tried it on last night, far too big.

Any idea what that would cost for a rebuild, or should I send it for a wash and sell/trade it off. Would it be worth the same as a full mask skunk sporran? Doubt I'd be that luck, but probably cost a fair bit to get rebuilt.

I got my new TactiKilt - Digital Camo this week a quick buy and a very affordable price,

the sizing is perfect fits like a glove, 2 awesome large Carpenters Flap Pockets with studs on both

sides as well as a pocket on the butt, the Flashes are incredable I've never seen 2 peices of matching

material on each flash very pleasing to the eye, TactiKilt is a great costomer friendly Kilt Manufactuer.

I still can't post a pict,i have one on my Face/Book wall - tom chenoweth

Awesome! I definitely want to get an AltKilt as soon as funds allow!