Cruach Mor!

Double Take

Went back to Painted Acres Animal Shelter yesterday and brought Maddie's brother ("Rabbie" after Robert Burns) home with us. They are Amish puppy mill "mistakes", Boston/wirehair mix, 4-month-old pups. Incredibly entertaining, and like nothing better than curling up in a lap when they run out of gas.

Stopped at Petco on the way home and got a tandem lead rig. They figured it out in a snap.

2dogs.jpg

That's great brother, always good to see animals get a good home. The one phrase from this post that gets me, though, is "Amish puppy mill". WTF? My amish friends would so punch them in the face. In a peaceful non-violent way.

The one phrase from this post that gets me, though, is "Amish puppy mill". WTF? My amish friends would so punch them in the face. In a peaceful non-violent way.

I too have many Amish friends and neighbors for whom I have a great deal of respect, and therefore I too was initially incensed at the term. However, I have now seen firsthand evidence that some Amish treat puppies like a cash crop, and their parents as strictly animal breeding stock, providing only the barest necessities of physical care to maximize their profits. There have been a few recent raids in this area, and the condition of the dogs was absolutely deplorable. They were barely recognizable as dogs - no grooming whatsoever, living in filthy cages, and kept in them only as long as they were useful for breeding, after which they were either destroyed or at best ended up in shelters, rescues or pounds..

Small wonder that the pups from these places, mostly sold in pet stores, have such common severe physical and behavioral problems and constitute such a high percentage of the population at shelters and rescue facilities.

Since the recent raids, these "breeders" have shifted their marketing strategy from wholesaling to pet stores, who have come under considerable public scrutiny and criticism, toward selling direct to retail buyers, evidently with considerably less success.

It is my sincere hope that the days of this big business approach to selling pets, whether by Amish or anyone else, are very short in number.

As one who has brought (2) rescue dogs into our family, I applaud you!

This is great sir, I love to see animals get a new home.

way to go bro, i applaud you for your love and generosity.

Guys, I'm no hero. These pups are amazing entertainment - much better than HBO and ESPN combined!

It is my sincere hope that the days of this big business approach to selling pets, whether by Amish or anyone else, are very short in number.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have always gotten my dogs from shelters or straight off the street, and with as many pets as there are that need homes there's no need for puppy mills. Even legitimate breeders make me crazy sometimes. Most breeds we recognize are less than 150 yrs old and they were created by mixing breeds anyway, so I don't see a need for breeders. There are a few breeds; like the rottweiller and saluki that are ancient breeds. I can see a need to preserve them, but not to the extent that we see.

I too have many Amish friends and neighbors for whom I have a great deal of respect, and therefore I too was initially incensed at the term. However, I have now seen firsthand evidence that some Amish treat puppies like a cash crop, and their parents as strictly animal breeding stock, providing only the barest necessities of physical care to maximize their profits. There have been a few recent raids in this area, and the condition of the dogs was absolutely deplorable. They were barely recognizable as dogs - no grooming whatsoever, living in filthy cages, and kept in them only as long as they were useful for breeding, after which they were either destroyed or at best ended up in shelters, rescues or pounds..

Small wonder that the pups from these places, mostly sold in pet stores, have such common severe physical and behavioral problems and constitute such a high percentage of the population at shelters and rescue facilities.

Since the recent raids, these "breeders" have shifted their marketing strategy from wholesaling to pet stores, who have come under considerable public scrutiny and criticism, toward selling direct to retail buyers, evidently with considerably less success.

First let me say my hat is off to you for choosing to adopt the brother/sister pair. I have been following some of these raids you mentioned on some of the rescue pages on facebook. I to got rather upset which is an understatement I won't repeat what was on my mind here. You make some very good points in regards to this so called trade, not a day goes by that I haven't read something about a raid on one of these operations and it's not just confined to certain Amish operations. And in some cases the rescuers are taking in 50, 100, 200 animals that are in really bad shape mostly small breeds. It tears me up seeing the condition that some of these dogs are in, many who have never been outside of a cage. Over the years my wife and I have taken many animals in from orphaned litters of kittens who were taken care of by a rescued female cat and female dog we had who had weened their litters. I have also gone to the local animal control and took in several senior cats and dogs who would have been put down just because they were old and blind. I have also crawled up under cars in the Walmart parking lot in the snow and ice with ice cold water running up my kilt to get a dog or a cat that needed a home. I have tried many times to figure out the mindset of people who treat animals this way, be it the puppy mills or the dog fighters who will pick up dogs and cats on Craigslist under "Free to a good home" and use these poor animals as bait animals. In the area that I am now living there have been dogs stolen from people's yards for this purpose, that's why when our dogs are put out in the yard I am sitting on the porch with my daughter until we bring them in I also have a double barrel shotgun sitting by the front door just in case someone has the brass to try and take my dogs. I have never understood people like this and I don't think I ever will don't mind my rambling about this subject this is something that is very close to me. My wife and have discussed setting up a small rescue in the future for dogs and cats and taking care of the senior animals that no one really wants to adopt and give them a home until they decide that it is their time to go over the rainbow bridge as they call it on the rescue sites.

Guys, I'm no hero. These pups are amazing entertainment - much better than HBO and ESPN combined!

Being humane is never a lesser quality.

As a member of a rescue group thanks for rescuing these little "mistakes",funny how they turn out to be the best family dogs.

Amy and I belong to the Humane Society in Richardson. All home fostering, non-kill. While I have no problems with good breeds who love their charges as family members I have to admit they are the exception.

There was a recent passing of licensing for puppy farms around the DFW area and there was a surge of abandoned puppies here. A lot of Maltese was one group, I think around 50. Also another 20+ of another breed as the authorities think it is them getting rid of the "evidence". Our group has three or so in our system.

We say "Adopt one, it save two"

Jim

These pups have obviously been abused. Very head shy and the "come" command takes about a week of very gentle, patient but intensive work. The result is worth every minute.

I also volunteer as a transporter for three rescue agencies. Nothing like hearing that a dog I carted from a pound to a foster home has been adopted and is thriving. As soon as I get part of my back yard fenced, I'll be able to do a little more. It may be spring before that happens. The photo shows the terrain. I want to chain-link about a half acre of it - not an easy nor cheap task, but it will give our pups and fosters plenty of room to run. Some of these guys have never set foot on grass. I'd better shut up now before I get ugly about how I feel about that.

Amy and I belong to the Humane Society in Richardson. All home fostering, non-kill. While I have no problems with good breeds who love their charges as family members I have to admit they are the exception.

There was a recent passing of licensing for puppy farms around the DFW area and there was a surge of abandoned puppies here. A lot of Maltese was one group, I think around 50. Also another 20+ of another breed as the authorities think it is them getting rid of the "evidence". Our group has three or so in our system.

We say "Adopt one, it save two"

Jim

Same problem any time a "blanket law is passed. We have a good friend who is a breeder and shows her dogs. Got caught in this law and now is trying to find homes for some of her fur-kids. Responsible breeders are like responsible gun owners the law just catches those who are honest.

Same problem any time a "blanket law is passed. We have a good friend who is a breeder and shows her dogs. Got caught in this law and now is trying to find homes for some of her fur-kids. Responsible breeders are like responsible gun owners the law just catches those who are honest.

My mistake, Amy said it was the manditary inspections that caused this one but we will have to disagree on the goverment involvement. There is a major difference in private ownership and a business. Gun shops have to be licensed and inspected. Big difference between that and privately owned guns in your house your house. The puppy mills such as discribed earlier will never be shut down if there are now laws to get them. If what they are doing isn't illegal than you can't stop them.

I know and agree with as limited of goverment as possible but laws are never written to protect the innocent, they are written to punish. Those who are doing the right thing don't need the laws but those who aren't can't be stopped without a law that says they are doing wrong. At least in this country. Can't arrest someone for breaking common sense (no such thing), going against morals (whose do you use anyways) or being stupid (all of use are guitly probably at least once a day).

Jim

My mistake, Amy said it was the manditary inspections that caused this one but we will have to disagree on the goverment involvement. There is a major difference in private ownership and a business. Gun shops have to be licensed and inspected. Big difference between that and privately owned guns in your house your house. The puppy mills such as discribed earlier will never be shut down if there are now laws to get them. If what they are doing isn't illegal than you can't stop them.

I know and agree with as limited of goverment as possible but laws are never written to protect the innocent, they are written to punish. Those who are doing the right thing don't need the laws but those who aren't can't be stopped without a law that says they are doing wrong. At least in this country. Can't arrest someone for breaking common sense (no such thing), going against morals (whose do you use anyways) or being stupid (all of use are guitly probably at least once a day).

Jim

Yeah but puppy mills are going to just keep doing what they are doing. It's owner/breeders who show that are going to get caught.

Yeah but puppy mills are going to just keep doing what they are doing.

Maybe some places, but not here. The word is out, and pet store chains are getting the message. That kills the market for the mills.