Lythgoe

Contest: Win A Free Standard Utility Kilt

I just got in the NEW standard utility kilts that I redesigned. I still have the old and new version on the website

http://www.utkilts.com/categories/Utility-%7B47%7D-Modern-Kilts/Standard-Utility-%7B47%7D-Modern-Kilts/

I would like to have some feed back on the new design. The big question I had is on the buckles that the old one had, but I removed for the new one. Anyone that provides feedback will be entered to win one of the new designed standard utility kilts. We will keep it up through the weekend (maybe until next week).

Any comments would be appreciated.

• Like 1

the buckles you have look cool, but did make sizing a little funky as it changed how it fit around the bottom of the fell. Looks pretty good without them.

were any of the other ideas I mentioned considered?

The straps on mine are pretty long and stick out too far. I usually try to tuck/fold the ends back on themselves, but they don't always stay. I have considered cutting the buckles and straps off, but hadn't decided to yet, since I DO like the look of them. That's all they really are, the way I wear mine anyway, is decoration. I think I like the cleaner look of the new design. Nice work! And by the way, I REALLY like mine. One of my faves!

the buckles you have look cool, but did make sizing a little funky as it changed how it fit around the bottom of the fell. Looks pretty good without them.

were any of the other ideas I mentioned considered?

The ideas you had were for the leather kilt. Which I did add onto the kilt and am having another one made. This was just something I was doing.

The buckles are just decoration , which is why I decided to take them off.

I like the buckles on my traditional kilt but then, it's a traditional kilt. If the buckles aren't necessary, I'd rather do without them. I like the design.

PS: From re-reading your post and the responses it looks like you're looking for feedback from people who own your standard kilt. I'm afraid I don't have one. My opinion is from comparing the photos of them from your website.

The ideas you had were for the leather kilt. Which I did add onto the kilt and am having another one made. This was just something I was doing.

nice...can't wait to see the results :)

The buckles have an interesting look, but I think I like the newer design better.

I also own a Wild. I think I got it instead of the standard because it had more pockets, not because of the straps and buckles.

I for one like the buckles on my Utkilt as far as look goes,but have always wanted them to function like a traditional kilt. with that being said I would like to see if the fit at the full is better.

I like the buckles on my traditional kilt but then, it's a traditional kilt. If the buckles aren't necessary, I'd rather do without them. I like the design.

PS: From re-reading your post and the responses it looks like you're looking for feedback from people who own your standard kilt. I'm afraid I don't have one. My opinion is from comparing the photos of them from your website.

No! I wanted anyone and everyone's opinion. Comparing pics is a great way to just let me know what you think. You will most certainly be entered into our drawing.

Brice

• Like 1

I have one of the "old " designs w/buckles. I like it but the buckles did cause the front to hang a bit odd at times. New one looks good.

I like the look of them but think that length has always been an issue. If they were shorter, they would look silly but they're too long So taking them off makes sense.

Could use them as pocket closures. just move them from the waist down to the pockets.

• Like 1

I do like the buckles, but looking at it I usually tighten them too much because they look kind of silly loose. So getting rid of the buckles would make sense. This just makes another of your styles that I have to get. So far I have a standard, a deluxe, and a traditional... looking forward to a wild next... though I may have to get another traditional to get through the winter... and their more forgiving of overeating.

Re-pressed mine this evening to freshen up the pleats and smooth out the apron a bit...it's headed to church in the morning -- buckles, straps, and all!!

I have to say I like the newer version. I don't own a UTKilt so I don't have any experience with those types of straps. They look like they are a nylon type which are pretty strong but I'm guessing that if they are not and they are fastened on the last or tightest hole whats left over will probably start to curl up or droop drownward. I have that problem with my "the works" sportkilt. Also, with the straps no longer on the one side it seems to balance the look of the kilt. Most traditonals have the three straps and while one side has two, the third on the other side seems to balance it out. The older model doesn't have the strap on the left side. The new model elimates all the straps and balences it out nicely. I'm actually surprised no one has tried putting the straps on the inside of the kilt so that they were hidden.

Brice,

I don't own one of your UT kilts but they are on my wish list. At first glance the new design looks sharper and has a more tactical appearance. I do a lot of hiking and camping and the straps may provide additional support at the hip if the cargo pockets are full. So the old version may still have some takers for that reason. Have you ran any field tests? I think that my vote is for the new design if I'm out for the day but the old one may serve me better in the woods.

So over the straps were not funictional so removing them didn't hart the kilt any. but I do like the use of the 3 brass studs in the front apron. I have the deluxe kilt and one of the main reasons for getting it over the others at the time was the studs. I planned to wear it without a sporran and the studs fill that empty space so GOOD JOB THERE. I just saw that you also added a velco closer to the mid size out side pocket thats awesome. as of now I never use that one, but the smallist one I use for my knife but you have to have a thin knife. Is there some kind of closer on the right hand side outter pocket. if not even just a strip of velco would be nice. over all looks great cant wait to hear reveiws.

For me, as I am a size smaller again, the buckles help keep it on, which would be less an issue if I actually put my belt on. That being said, I like the buckles for the most part, and prefer them.

I like the buckles, but removing them really cleans up the lines of the kilt.As do the added brass buttons. They really pop on that big expanse of black. It looks like the pockets sit a little more naturally without the buckles too, unless that just a twist when the pic was taken.